collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Porcupines  (Read 5926 times)

Offline riflehunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Porcupines
« on: September 25, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
Ran in to 2 different porcupines 30 miles apart let’s say both pups are hurting. Anyone else see porcupines in the cattails around Moses lake? What is best way to get dogs to stay away? Rough day for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Milkman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Porcupines
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
There out all over, mating season. Saw a huge one in 506. Pup on a leash ?

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:28:45 AM »
Some dogs never learn....had a chocolate lab that would always go after them no matter how many times he got stuck. I hate to count the times when I had to straddle that dog out in the field and yank those needles out of his nose and mouth. Not fun for him and not fun for me as he was a pretty large dog that was hard to control as I pulled the needles. Luckily I always carried a leatherman's tool with the needlenose pliers that did the trick. Wait until your pups find a skunk... :chuckle:

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
Been trying to find porcupines on the west side for years, but never seen one. They taste really good. 

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:42:01 AM »
Been trying to find porcupines on the west side for years, but never seen one. They taste really good.

If you like eating leather boots you will love porkys.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 11:05:48 AM »
Is it legal to hunt them?
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
Is it legal to hunt them?

Only if you strangle them by hand.

It is legal, joking aside. Many do not kill them because they are a easy source of food if you are stranded and starving.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:38:48 AM by Pegasus »

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 02:33:06 PM »
You can try some avoidance training, friend of mine had his dogs (GSPs) get into one twice. Big vet bills so he found a roadkill and staged it around the property. When the dogs engaged in scenting they got full shock and a very stern "NO!" He would put it back in the freezer and do it again a week or so later. After the third time they lost interest in them. Cannot say it was totally successful but they never got into another one  :dunno:.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »

I’ve shot more porcupines in western WA than some folks will see in a lifetime. Walk old logging roads in the evenings and watch for them grazing in the grass or blackberries along the sides. I’ve had good luck walking through the alders with a set of electronic muffs or plugs in and listening for them too. They make a pretty distinctive sound as they shuffle along the ground.

You’re probably the first person I’ve heard who’s said they taste good through! They’re not bad, but definitely not something I crave.  :chuckle:

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »

I’ve shot more porcupines in western WA than some folks will see in a lifetime. Walk old logging roads in the evenings and watch for them grazing in the grass or blackberries along the sides. I’ve had good luck walking through the alders with a set of electronic muffs or plugs in and listening for them too. They make a pretty distinctive sound as they shuffle along the ground.

You’re probably the first person I’ve heard who’s said they taste good through! They’re not bad, but definitely not something I crave.  :chuckle:

I don't know how they taste here, but most countries in Eastern/Central Europe have "Indian Crest Porcupines", hunters mainly trap them in areas where the woods have wild fruit trees. They taste really good, but I haven't shot, nor seen one here yet.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 08:57:36 PM »
I never see them in western wa. Unless they are roadkill. But have probably only seen 2 crossing the highway. But never out hunting. Eastern wa I see them all the time.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline salt n sage90

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
Moses Lake/Othello cattails are thick with porcupine. If you plan to hunt there pack leather gloves and pliers. We had a dog get hit 3 times in one day last year. I had to wrench the dog off one so hard it tore the vermins back fat off. Luckily my old man is a veterinarian so when its really bad we sedate the dog at the truck and take them out.

A tip: when pulling quills have a bucket of water next to you, every time you pull quills out dunk the pliers in the water, the quill float off the pliers. Saves time.

Lastly, the quill in the roof of the mouth are the most dangerous, rather than festering out they can fester up and end up in the dogs sinus.
You will find quills a week or two after.
"Nothing sinks faster than a downrigger ball"

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »

They’re all over the place in the SW corner of the state. There’s was a stretch 2-3 years ago when I saw 3 or 4 a day walking around down there, not unusual to see at all, and they don’t seem terribly concerned with people either. Me and a fat fella walked towards ea other till I could have bent down and stabbed him w an arrow. They’re in short grass along the logging roads at dusk and dawn, I see more of them on roads closed to motorized access.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »

If you like eating leather boots you will love porkys.

Not true at all if you know how to cook anything but Top Ramen....   :dunno:

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »
My dog got into one picking huckleberries in late August.  That was one expensive trip to the vet. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]