collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new to GMU 633  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Nativeghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
new to GMU 633
« on: September 26, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
Does anyone got any tips for hunting big game in GMU 633. I just moved to allyn and wanted to get stuff going. If its worth the time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:44:43 PM by Nativeghost »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: new to GMU 633
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:39:50 PM »
PM coming.....
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Online huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
Wish I had some info for you but welcome to Hunt-Wa
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
Green diamond resource co land will have some good opportunities on the peninsula to your south or west and I don't think you'll even need a walk in permit for the area on the peninsula there. I'm from Oly so I don't know the land up there too well but we weren't far from Mason Lake, within a few miles.

A buddy of mine took me out there last year we parked at a green dot gate and after hiking in a number of miles we saw a big buck while sitting watching a straight away dead end logging road in some heavy timber, I was too slow to get my rifle up in time. By the time I had my gun up and my eye through the scope that buck was halfway back into the woods having literally crossed the street, only glimpsed his booty through my optics :(.

Patience, good reaction times and staying out til the last minute of legal light will be good tools in your arsenal if you've got em. I wish you luck and welcome to the forum  :tup:
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »
There's a lot of deer in some of these places. I have hunted that unit a lot, but so far this year, I am seeing less deer and more "sneak" trails where people are driving around the gates and getting in and driving the rds that are supposed to be closed. Seems to be a lot of that done at night with spotlights in that unit.... Turned one in a couple years ago, and those sneak trails and low numbers of deer and super nervous deer on opening day make me think more of it is happening. So there's THAT and the other thing to watch out for.

It seems to be all the rage to walk the rds in this area and let your dog run and chase deer. If you see dog crap on the rd, find another area. Some of my fav little honey holes have been destroyed by people that like to go "let there dog run" before work, ran into them at sun rise.... I don't know if they are clue less or anti's. But they destroy the hunting. It makes me wonder where all the deer go? I know several places, where I would see 10-20 deer a day, then dogs show up and poof.... you see NOTHING. Find a spot that the dog "walkers" haven't found and that doesn't have a "sneak rd" and walk the closed rds, you will find a lot of deer. I know a lot of big bodied 2 points come out of that unit every year. Don't normally see more than 2 points. lol the bigger ones seem to be in the neighborhoods ;). You see some real dandies in peoples yards.

Offline Nativeghost

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
Wish I had some info for you but welcome to Hunt-Wa
Thank you  8)

Offline Nativeghost

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:52 PM »
Green diamond resource co land will have some good opportunities on the peninsula to your south or west and I don't think you'll even need a walk in permit for the area on the peninsula there. I'm from Oly so I don't know the land up there too well but we weren't far from Mason Lake, within a few miles.

A buddy of mine took me out there last year we parked at a green dot gate and after hiking in a number of miles we saw a big buck while sitting watching a straight away dead end logging road in some heavy timber, I was too slow to get my rifle up in time. By the time I had my gun up and my eye through the scope that buck was halfway back into the woods having literally crossed the street, only glimpsed his booty through my optics :(.

Patience, good reaction times and staying out til the last minute of legal light will be good tools in your arsenal if you've got em. I wish you luck and welcome to the forum  :tup:
yea ive checked out a few spots but tring to figure out the land around here its so thick. tuff to get a spot to glass at all.

Offline Nativeghost

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:58:41 PM »
There's a lot of deer in some of these places. I have hunted that unit a lot, but so far this year, I am seeing less deer and more "sneak" trails where people are driving around the gates and getting in and driving the rds that are supposed to be closed. Seems to be a lot of that done at night with spotlights in that unit.... Turned one in a couple years ago, and those sneak trails and low numbers of deer and super nervous deer on opening day make me think more of it is happening. So there's THAT and the other thing to watch out for.

It seems to be all the rage to walk the rds in this area and let your dog run and chase deer. If you see dog crap on the rd, find another area. Some of my fav little honey holes have been destroyed by people that like to go "let there dog run" before work, ran into them at sun rise.... I don't know if they are clue less or anti's. But they destroy the hunting. It makes me wonder where all the deer go? I know several places, where I would see 10-20 deer a day, then dogs show up and poof.... you see NOTHING. Find a spot that the dog "walkers" haven't found and that doesn't have a "sneak rd" and walk the closed rds, you will find a lot of deer. I know a lot of big bodied 2 points come out of that unit every year. Don't normally see more than 2 points. lol the bigger ones seem to be in the neighborhoods ;). You see some real dandies in peoples yards.
have not seen any dog walkers yet but in Sherwood creek there was alot of mushroom pickers lol. and yea ive seen this one 5 point buck in my yard for a little bit now only on my house cams early mornings ... loves my wifes garden  :)

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
Used to be good if you turn at Taylor Town and head out by Totten shores. Have not been there for more then 10 years. so not sure what its like now. Hunt right after a rain storm and the deer will be out

Offline woodsy_sailor

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 06:39:00 PM »
Buy a bear tag.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
 :yeah:  Not much pressure on the bear population.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 08:41:39 AM »
Apples and sweet cob, for the yard. Lots of opportunity in 633
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 08:44:49 AM »
I hunt the north end of 633 and it's not as good as it used to be.  But there are good bucks to be found if you put in the effort. My kid has the quality tag starting Nov 1 so hoping something shows up on cams that is worthy of pursuing.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »
Used to be good if you turn at Taylor Town and head out by Totten shores. Have not been there for more then 10 years. so not sure what its like now. Hunt right after a rain storm and the deer will be out

Yep... lol that was the loc of several of my little honey holes. BUT over the last 2-3 years that area is now infested with people that drive out there to let there dogs run.... I have give up on it. Ran into 3 people letting dogs run, in one day at 2 different gated rds. That was when I gave up on that area.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »
I wouldn't give up on it.  BT are tough animals, and by all counts, more aggressive than WT at defending themselves in their territories.  That is not to say that dogs don't kill a lot of BT, because they do, but in my mind, that is the dogs living on the edge of the BT woods that are not controlled and allowed to come and go as they desire (think: dog sitting in the road that likes to chase every vehicle that rolls by).  Letting dogs run during a walk in the woods is not always a bad thing.  Many owners are responsible, and if we see something that doesn't look right, it is up to us to try to make dog owners understand the problems with letting them chase deer.   My German Shorthaired Pointer would be totally afraid of a deer.  Poor excuse for a hunting dog!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]