collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tag soup but I'm learning and enjoying  (Read 2552 times)

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Tag soup but I'm learning and enjoying
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »
I don't post much about what I do on here mainly because I have only successfully harvested one deer in this state but I thought what the heck I'll share this years adventures.

We all are aware that 2020 pretty much sucks.  I had a moose hunt in Canada planned (actually I should be up there now!).  Because of the moose trip I did not plan on hunting much locally due to having to take a bunch of time off for that trip.  I also did not scout at all because I didn't think I would be hunting much.  So moose hunt canceled - scramble to switch vacation days - do a little scouting and came up with a plan.  Next up - forest fires.  One right next to where I wanted to hunt coupled with the crazy bad air quality landed me sitting at home waiting for air to clear. 

Olympic Peninsula was the first to clear so we made a blind run (never been up there) and tried some new turf.  Found a good bit of sign and beautiful country.  Saw one cow elk, several grouse and the wife found some chicken of the woods mushrooms.

Came back home to regroup and headed to an area we normally hunt in the late season.  Never hunted it early but what the heck.  This was the last 3 days of the season.  Found my first wallow (did I mention I'm not the best elk hunter yet?) and some fairly fresh rubs and scrapes.  Worked that area for a couple days hoping he hadn't pushed out or arrowed already with no luck.  Never saw an animal (deer or elk).  I found that odd because in late season we at least see animals everyday.  It was seriously like a ghost town.  I wonder how much pressure that area gets in the first week.  Wife found some really nice lobster mushrooms so she was happy.  We knew the lobsters were there because we would see them in late season but they were always mushy by then. 

I feel like I learned some things and at this point in my elk hunting career that's about all I can ask for I suppose.  I really enjoy seeing everyones successful posts as it gives me motivation but I also know there are a handful of folks like me with tag soup when the success rates are generally below 10%. 

My new favorite mottos - "They are where you find them".  "You never know what will happen so just keep hunting"

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Tag soup but I'm learning and enjoying
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
Hit me up for late season archery, I'll still have access to my spots on Decatur Island, even after I am out of my place in November. The deer are not big, but they are plentiful.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »
Hit me up for late season archery, I'll still have access to my spots on Decatur Island, even after I am out of my place in November. The deer are not big, but they are plentiful.

That's a fantastic offer and I would take him up on that if you can. There's no better way to get good at killing animals than killing animals and you need to start somewhere.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:24 PM »
lokidog - that's a fantastic offer.  Very kind of you and I may be in touch as we progress here.  Decatur seems like a challenge to get to but always up for an adventure!

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:35:28 PM »
This is an honest and wonderful post!

I think it is great that the missus is along side you, and that she found some edibles in the forest.  Yes, Sir!  2020 has majorly sucked so far for everything, not just hunting.

That's a nice wallow, by the way, especially for western Washington.

Keep at it, Man.  Watch out for Lokidog.  He might force feed you a cabezon.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
Cabezon are amazing, probably my top 3 favorite fish.  I seriously thought about buying his place just for his fishing and hunting spots.  I would take him up on that, I trip up there to hunt would be a great experience.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »
Cabezon are amazing, probably my top 3 favorite fish.  I seriously thought about buying his place just for his fishing and hunting spots.  I would take him up on that, I trip up there to hunt would be a great experience.

:chuckle:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Looks like a good time. 

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »

I agree, they are amazingly tasty fare, but butt ugly.  You should buy Loki's place, in fact you probably should buy the whole island.  You could be a king.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 10:22:20 PM »

I agree, they are amazingly tasty fare, but butt ugly.  You should buy Loki's place, in fact you probably should buy the whole island.  You could be a king.

Too late, closing Nov. 4, but I will still have access to several places.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]