collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl camouflage shell recommendation  (Read 1948 times)

Offline anthropisces

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Waterfowl camouflage shell recommendation
« on: September 27, 2020, 06:10:22 PM »
Can anyone provide a recommendation on a camouflage outer shell for duck hunting that isn't extravagantly expensive (bonus points if it fits a tall -6'5 hunter). The Sitka stuff seems really nice but pretty spendy. I'd rather not go hunting in an outfit that costs upwards of $500 for pants and top, but I might go that high for both if it was good gear. Seems to me that pants and top can easily run $1000. I'm not overly sold on the "breathable" stuff

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Waterfowl camouflage shell recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:13:19 PM »
Sitka started coming out with long tops, but not all of the models had it available, at least last time I looked.  Cabelas has been a good source for long tops, but after the buyout there are fewer.

I still hunt in a Herter's 3 in 1 I bought for big game hunting probably 10 years ago.  It's pretty heavy but warm and dry and has long sleeves, so I haven't found anything better to replace it yet.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
I've been waterfowl hunting for 25 years now and have tried a lot of different gear.  I currently run breathable waders and a Sitka Hudson jacket.  The Hudson is BY FAR the best waterfowl jacket I've ever worn.  Buy once cry once, it'll save you $ in the long run.

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
The Hudson looks nice. It isn't as if I will have to mortgage the house to come up with the $550. I do appreciate the recommendation and maybe I'll end up in one. But maybe someone will post with something that is a also nice and maybe closer to $300.

I've got a warm coat so I don't need anything like that. I end up sweating in it many days. I'm looking more for something more shell-ish.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
If all you are looking for is a shell- I would go with a Sitka Cloudburst jacket. Even the pants if you want a set. Shop around and you can find them pretty cheap (respectfully). I used to have a Delta wading jacket, and while it was nice, it really is nothing more than a shell with stupid add ons like a built in call lanyard that I don't need. I personally hate wearing a coat unless I absolutely have to. And the only reason I would is rain. A big bulky insulated coat is the last thing I want. Layer appropriately and just use a rain shell if it becomes necessary.  :twocents:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Online Jakobv

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »
I run the sitka delta wading jacket, it is the best jacket I have ever worn for duck hunting, it is just an outer shell so you can layer underneath, I’m due for a new one and I will be upgrading to the Hudson jacket tho, but I believe the delta is closer to 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
I use a Drake shell. Was cheap, zero insulation, and will stay dry in heavy drizzle. Rain calls for the StormX

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
If all you are looking for is a shell- I would go with a Sitka Cloudburst jacket. :twocents:

The Cloudburst is a really cool jacket. I saw it at a local store and at first thought "this is it!". But it runs kinda short and I'm 6'5" and the one in the store was a large or xl and I just didn't like the length. It is one of the designs Sitka doesn't make in a tall model.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 06:55:31 AM »
My Columbia Quad jacket, with out inner liner is all I have used for years and I stay dry. I also have Sitka, and prefer my Simms over my Sitka for staying dry, out of those two
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
I like this quote about these mega-expensive waterproof membranes

"Waterproof breathable membranes and coatings work on the principle of diffusion. Diffusion needs a difference in humidity on each side of the membrane in order for your jacket to accomplish anything. The bigger the difference, the higher the rate of diffusion. When you are working hard, it's wet inside your jacket, so it's best at moving that sweat to outside your jacket when it's dry out.

"...rain means it's pretty damn humid out - which means the driving pressure for diffusion is low or straight up zero which means maybe your jacket is waterproof, but it just isn't very breathable. If you are sweating while it's pouring raining, you're getting wet. If the humidity outside your jacket is the same as the humidity inside your jacket - then there's just nowhere for your sweat to go, so unless there's some crazy voodoo going on that I don't know about"

https://mountainwagon.com/the-blog/the-truth-about-waterproof-breathable#:~:text=The%20thing%20is%20that%20those,I%20can%20tell%2C%20nothing%20does.&text=Membranes%20%2D%20like%20Gore%2DTex%20and,less%20packable%20and%20more%20expensive.

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »
Tagging. I need a jacket. The Sitka delta and Hudson are high on my list.

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »
This sitka jacket is more of a trenchcoat. I have one of these for waterfowling. Certainly wouldn't want to do some very high levels of activity in it, but its an amazing jacket for waterfowlin where your standing around anyways.

On sale for 350 ish. I got mine for like 220 on a big sale. If you don't mind how long it is, its great. Personally I like the added length for duck hunting since Im on a boat or sitting around anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/SITKA-Gear-Kodiak-Jacket/dp/B07CWXWSTD

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:46 AM »
I have a Sitka Duck Oven (mid-layer) and also a Hudson jacket and a Delta Waterfowl jacket.  If it is down to mid-30s to 40 degrees it's the Duck Oven and Delta Wading Jacket.  Anything colder and it's the Duck Oven / Hudson.  All fine gear.  It should be the last I buy.  Hudson is a little longer (in addition to having some more insulation) and the Delta Wading Jacket is shorter for wearing over or under your waders when you are going to be in the water.   As someone said, with Sitka you buy once and cry once...but you get a lot of smiles out of the gear once you've invested in it.

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:27 AM »
This sitka jacket is more of a trenchcoat. I have one of these for waterfowling. Certainly wouldn't want to do some very high levels of activity in it, but its an amazing jacket for waterfowlin where your standing around anyways.

On sale for 350 ish. I got mine for like 220 on a big sale. If you don't mind how long it is, its great. Personally I like the added length for duck hunting since Im on a boat or sitting around anyways.

Thanks Kodiak10. I went with the Kodiak jacket which I scored for $285 on Amazon. I had to buy the extra large for that price but at nearly 6'6 it might be the best fit for me although I'm kinda lanky. I like the idea of the trench-coat length and I expect to be hunting from a boat this season and think it might be the right fit.

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »

Thanks Kodiak10. I went with the Kodiak jacket which I scored for $285 on Amazon. I had to buy the extra large for that price but at nearly 6'6 it might be the best fit for me although I'm kinda lanky. I like the idea of the trench-coat length and I expect to be hunting from a boat this season and think it might be the right fit.
Awesome. Its a great jacket, glad I could help.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]