collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Our Public Lands for Sale...  (Read 5459 times)

Offline kyle dillehay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Our Public Lands for Sale...
« on: September 27, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
Anyone that enjoys their free access to public lands should watch this new documentary to learn about the immediate threats to our American way of life on public lands.

Offline NumaJohn

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
Re: Our Public Lands for Sale...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
Thanks, Kyle.

A sobering film, to say the least, but worth watching, I agree. Public lands belong to all of us, regardless of political leanings. If the big corporations continue to have their way with us, someday there will not be any more hunting and fishing, no more clear streams. The greed of some people threatens us all and the ways we love to experience the great outdoors. Future generations will look back and shake their heads in disbelief at what was lost.

I am not a tree huggin' enviro, but I do believe in science, and I do believe in conservation and the need to preserve public land. This film makes a compelling case for all citizens to take a stand against further deprivation.

John
"When we go afield to hunt wild game produced by the good earth, we search among the absolute truths held by the land, and the land, responding only to the law of nature, cannot be deceived."    

Jim Posewitz, Inherit the Hunt

Offline kyle dillehay

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 09:38:25 AM »
Well stated John!

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:12:42 AM »
Add to this threat the amount of private ground that is being put off limits to public hunting. Either purchased by anti hunters or privatized for a select few to use.  Access to public hunting is, too me, the biggest threat to future hunting
I'm afraid the hunters of the future will be those able to put a lot of money on the table to get it done.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
Good topic, but I didn't think the film was that great...sort of a convoluted mashing of several recent environmental/lands issues.  I think its a worthy topic, especially for sportsmen, but I don't think this film did the issue much justice.  :dunno:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »
Well, the Jason Chaffetzes, the William Perry Pendleys, the Jennifer Fielders, and the Rob Bishops will not stop trying, despite the reality that there is little way we could practically dispose of all of the western public domain into productive private hands.  As an American who regularly works on, recreates in, and enjoys public lands of both state and federal ownership, I maintain that we need constant political vigilance to protect our heritage, not to mention our access to these lands for hunting and fishing!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »
This is a great cause. However, #1 question I have is where does the sponsor of the film stand on hunting?

This is kind of a trick question.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 01:50:36 PM »
Jackelope, would love to hear your insight on the issue!  As for Patagonia, first couple of hits on a search:
https://gearjunkie.com/yvon-chouinard-patagonia-hunters-anglers
https://www.fieldandstream.com/public-land-conservation-allies-patagonia-first-lite/

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »
Land conservation is the low hanging fruit to build a coalition of groups both on the consumptive and non consumptive users.

One of the questions we need to ask ourselves is how well is the land the the Public currently have being managed? The unfortunate trend I see is that hands off or management by nature seems to be the overwhelming trend. which leads one to wonder how much "more" could we get from physical management? A farmer or Forrester that manages his property produces MORE if they actively cultivate it. Could we not cultivate MORE of lots of different opportunities on the acreage we currently have?

We know that edge cover is a HUGE part of what allows animal numbers to thrive in all kinds of diversity, including sea life. Why is not increasing edge cover a major part of the discussion? To me the answer is that real work and management is hard. Selling folks on buying land and preventing all manner of multiple use seems an easier sell. Out here in the west we are spoiled at the amount of public land.(of which i appreciate and enjoy) Watch andy of the whitetail deer hunting on TV and look at the active planning not only for the "farm" but the additional income from hunting because of how the property is managed.  We all dream of owning property because we understand that  we can improve it  and it provides a space where we can recreate.

I am always weary of groups that dont like hunters but want us to help out... because they never return the favor. :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
This is a great cause. However, #1 question I have is where does the sponsor of the film stand on hunting?

Is it a trick question because you know the answer? There is a ton of stuff out there on the sponsors hunting stances

He likes hunting but not all hunting...prolly no different than many of us.... does that make the film  less important/true ?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 04:11:52 PM »

Is it a trick question because you know the answer? There is a ton of stuff out there on the sponsors hunting stances

He likes hunting but not all hunting...prolly no different than many of us.... does that make the film  less important/true ?

I'm not sure you can have the best of both worlds. It's great that they support public lands. I mean, without public lands, their products would be mostly pointless. They seem to be either tight lipped specifically about their support(or non-support) of hunting, or they don't publically take a stance.

http://oregonoutdoorcouncil.org/top-5-shocking-companies-hurting-you/

#2 Patagonia: By supporting Cascadia Wildlands, Predator Defense, Klamath-Siskiyou Wildlands, and the Native Fish Society, Patagonia earns the number two spot in our anti-sportsmen company directory! ............

So yay for public lands. Questionable on the hunting support.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »
I have a nephew who works for Patagonia in SLC. They not only give him time off to go hunting, they encourage him and his fellow employees to go. Not sure what their official stance is, but they seem to not be anti hunting in any way. From a business point of view I can see why they support a diversified number of outdoor oriented groups. Guess it's another example of today's "either you're with me 100 percent or you're against me 100 percent" mind sets.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »
I don't think there is any question they support hunting...its the trophy hunting that things get questionable on...most hunters are the same way...if you don't believe me check out the YouTube comments with the Jimmy jon bull

A huge majority of our problems in the hunting world are associated with a lack of space...and hunters by and large forget that...they point to anything else they can because of fear

This is a mute point in my opinion...this is a battle already lost

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 05:01:32 PM »
I have a nephew who works for Patagonia in SLC. They not only give him time off to go hunting, they encourage him and his fellow employees to go. Not sure what their official stance is, but they seem to not be anti hunting in any way. From a business point of view I can see why they support a diversified number of outdoor oriented groups. Guess it's another example of today's "either you're with me 100 percent or you're against me 100 percent" mind sets.

Theyre very much pro wolf introduction and donate to pro wolf groups.  Thats enough for me not to buy their stuff.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]