collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eltopia bull  (Read 7403 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Eltopia bull
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
saw this article. One part I did find interesting was "Bow hunters are required to wear hunter orange or pink, neither of the people involved were wearing hunting garments based on the photos provided."

http://www.ifiberone.com/columbia_basin/several-franklin-county-residents-fuming-after-killing-of-rescued-elk/article_8b8f3d08-033c-11eb-a16b-131f81509ab3.html
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 11:56:49 AM »
saw this article. One part I did find interesting was "Bow hunters are required to wear hunter orange or pink, neither of the people involved were wearing hunting garments based on the photos provided."

http://www.ifiberone.com/columbia_basin/several-franklin-county-residents-fuming-after-killing-of-rescued-elk/article_8b8f3d08-033c-11eb-a16b-131f81509ab3.html
They are incorrect on the hunter orange or pink.  That is only if an archery season overlaps a general (not special permit or master hunter) rifle season deer or elk. 

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
That’s not hunting it’s just shooting
If he did trespass to get the bull it will be confiscated and a ticket handed out if a warden is brought into the picture
That’s a piss poor judgment
And good on the people that at least attempted to help the bull

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »
Pretty lame of that guy to come along and kill it like he did! Set that example for his daughter too! Terrible!

Like in the comments on FB, I wonder what the meat will be like on that bull. He had to be heavily stressed besides exhausted.

Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
Just lame as it gets, really hate to see and read stories like this one.  If the elk was going to die that's one thing, I just don't get it.  Sad
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
Wouldn’t the killing of this bull have required a draw tag to be legal (no comment on the poor judgement in killing it)? Maybe they get nailed for that?
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
Any elk in that unit
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Sandberm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
Wouldn’t the killing of this bull have required a draw tag to be legal (no comment on the poor judgement in killing it)? Maybe they get nailed for that?

Pretty sure I know about where this happened. If I had to guess, it happened just east of Hwy 395, north of Sagemoor road, thats unit 381 Kahlotus. Even if it was west of Hwy 395 that would be unit 379 Ringold. Each unit is any elk, Sept 7-19.

If I run into the right guy today i will try to get some details.

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »

That news story has a lot of false info in it.  Also calls the elk a "stag"... :chuckle:

Ethical or not, it brings hunters into a poor light when stories like that are written by a "journalist" that hasn't got a clue. 

Gary 
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »
Reading this, I thought about how unethical the hunter was and how hypocritical the farmers are. Why was the bull so exhausted and bleeding from his hooves? Because it had fallen into an irrigation ditch, likely feeding water to the farmers who pulled him out, and had injured itself trying to get out. How often do animals fall into those ditches and are not rescued? Seems like a lot going on here.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
It's great to read stories about hunters/people rescuing wildlife. Killing wildlife legally during a hunting season is done many different ways. Some hunt private fields and are more harvesting than hunting and have great success rates. Some drive the roads with somewhat lower success. Some prefer to put down some boot leather in the mountains and have somewhat less success still. I have a hard time feeling bad toward someone who legally takes an animal on public land, regardless of the circumstance. Would I have made the same decision? I would hope not given the same circumstance. Is an animal that's stupid enough to get caught in an irrigation ditch likely to survive long anyway? Probably not.

Let them have their bull, sporting or not. Hopefully, they'll make good use of all of it. As hunters and gun owners concerned about our privileges and rights, we have enough people to fight without turning in on ourselves.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
Have not seen the question asked yet so: Did the guy watch them pull the bull out and then go up and shoot it or did he happen upon it in the hour after the farmers left? I feel like that makes a difference.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
He saw the farmers family/friends post on Facebook that they just rescued an elk out of the canal.  He then drove to the location and shot the elk.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »
Have not seen the question asked yet so: Did the guy watch them pull the bull out and then go up and shoot it or did he happen upon it in the hour after the farmers left? I feel like that makes a difference.
From the FB post it says a family member of an irrigation worker posted it and the person who killed it (says they also were an irrigation employee) saw the post and went to the location. By the photos it was a awhile after they got the bull out that it was killed (suns up and still bright in the photo with the guys that pulled it out, and when its being dressed it is dusk and that photo shows 7:02pm).
I have a question, i thought canal roads were off limits? Only for canal workers doing work related stuff?
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »
He saw the farmers family/friends post on Facebook that they just rescued an elk out of the canal.  He then drove to the location and shot the elk.

Man, that is a tough one. I certainly would not have gotten a thrill out of that hunt. Hopefully it happened because the family desperately needed the meat.

Different circumstances but similar in a way. My daughter had the "Any Deer" tag last year. We got a call from a friend that he bedded down a nice 2Pt that had already been shot by somebody. He said that it was in bad shape and not going anywhere. My daughter and I hiked into the spot he had seen it lay down and when it stood up you could see that it had been shot through the "elbow" likely the day before as the season was only open for 2 days at that point. Anyway, my daughter took one look at the buck and said to me "Daddy, I have to put him out of his misery." She took aim and put him down. Not the hunt we wanted but we used the animal and it was put out of it's misery and we gave him a fast death compared to the slow painful one he was sure to have.   

Sometimes the "hunt" is not what you would want. I don't think this is going to be a case of a guy needed the meat so badly that he was able to look past the circumstance but in the end he had a tag and he filled it. Legal? Probably but certainly not a story that will get much admiration around the campfires of the hunting community. 
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand