collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 WY Antelope  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
2020 WY Antelope
« on: September 30, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
My son @MTBVenison and I went to Wyoming for his first out of state hunt last week to hunt pronghorn antelope
We had drawn doe tags for unit 43 and buck tags for unit 42.
43 has little accessible BLM land, but it does have 2 large Hunter Management Areas. Both HMAs are 40k+ acres and require being drawn for access. Luckily  :dunno: we were drawn for Diamond Lake.
We had gathered all the gear and done some virtual scouting to include potential campsites. We left on the 19th and planned to hunt for 5 days.

Day 1 - We were hunting the doe unit and arrived to find a small herd with 8 does. After fumbling to get everything ready to shoot they were at 220yds and moving away. In the past I never had to shoot further than 150yds for a lope. My brother the local tells Tristan not to shoot, we will get easier shots  ;) . 30 minutes later they are crawling to get a line on a single doe; no shot as she is at 250yds and "we will get closer opportunities". Well after driving two-tracks, glassing and hiking for the next 7 hours, not another antelope was to be seen  :bash:  We were kicking ourselves for not shooting the 2nd doe. We were totally down and thinking this unit is not good. My brother was PO'd that WDFG had issued 600 doe tags and we couldn't find one after covering 20k acres.

Day 2 - Tristan and I are on our own and arrive to see the same small herd, but this time they are on the wrong side of the fence(private). We move to another area and after glassing for about an hour we find 2 does and 2 fawns at 900yds. A plan is made and we find a two track that gets us above and behind them. The stalk wasn't difficult, walked 175yds and then crawled the last 25. Getting the last few feet to insure the barrel clears the sage is tough. Of course cactus is to be avoided and you are hoping the sharp eyed does don't catch you moving. We got Tristan in position using his pack as a rest and shooting prone. After watching them move around and making sure he is shooting a "big" one we get a final range of 302yds. He has never shot further than 120yds, so I instruct him to use the 3rd dot on the reticle. Up to this moment he has never missed a deer he has shot at. He gets steady and I am watching through the binos....BOOM...we hear the whack. the other 3 run off to about 400yds while she stands there and meanders a bit. We decide to give her some time as i could see the hit was a lil back. After 20 minutes she is at 365yds and just standing there, so we decide to hit her again. "put the 3rd dot at the top of her back" BOOM...whack....doe down. After 3-5 minutes her head is down.  :tup:  While Tristan is field dressing his doe I see what I think is a coyote coming in to investigate. As it gets closer to 300yds....thats a speed goat. I range her at 220 and get ready. Their curiousity can be a downfall at times. As she clears a small knoll at 190yds she is walking straight toward us. At this points I decide to take the frontal shot...BOOM rolled her. She got up and ran 40 yards and keeled over.  :IBCOOL:   2 does down   day 2 is much better. Glad I had my personal pack mule. He carried both does 900yds to the truck.

We are both shooting T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Boy is shooting Nosler 120gr Ballistic Tips and I am using Nosler 142gr Accubond
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:28:56 PM by Widgeondeke »

Offline Widgeondeke

• Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Re: 2020 WY Antelope
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
Day 3 - see the same herd first thing, again on private land. Drive two tracks and see a couple lonely bucks, but our buck unit isn't open yet  :bash:. After spotting a nice herd and watching them run mach 2 for 1+ miles we come up with a plan to stalk closer. After 2 hours of getting closer, we can't get a clear view/shot. We parrelel them for 45 minutes only to get within 200yds and have them bust us before am ethical shot can be taken. Could only see heads with all those eyes on us, they took off again never to be seen again this day. We hiked and glassed some more only to not see another doe, just bucks.
day 3 equals no more tags notched.

Day 4 - equals pretty much the same as 2. Only difference is we had a pack of coyotes ruin one of our stalks. We saw more antelope, but couldn't get closer than 400yds. They we very skittish. We did find a couple fresh scrapes and boy got lots of practice opening/closing range gates

Weather was nice other than the winds. They were 20-25mph all day.
We averaged 6 miles of hiking each day and the altitude was from 6800-7600'. That definately effects a man. Staying hydrated is key
The Mullen fire smoke can be seen to the SE
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:05:20 AM by Widgeondeke »

Offline Widgeondeke

• Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »
Gonna back up a little. We had done some scouting for bucks the previous days and found a couple shooters. Our campsite was in the buck unit and a nice buck was only 800 yards from camp 2 mornings in a row.

Day 5 - Up before the sun(didn't bother for does) and out of camp before shooting time. Almost exactly at legal time we hear 2 shots and of course the buck we had seen previously was nowhere to be seen(we found him later on private land). Also, we had camp(BLM land) to ourselves for the first 3 nights, but the night before buck opened we have numerous neighbors  :yike: time for new plan
We decide to hit a walk-in area only 15 minutes away. after driving/glassing we find a herd to make a move on. Come to find out another hunter had similar idea, but from a different location and the herd busted into the next county  :chuckle: While walking back toward the truck a lone buck pops up outta no where at 170 yards. Both sides were startled and he was at 250yards before we saw him again and not slowing down. We watched him for 45 minutes as he went a mile away and started working his way back toward us. Eventially he snuck by us and won that round. Deciding to hit the only HMA in the unit we make the 45 minute drive all the way through & around the unit. Saw a few bucks, but all on private or running faster than we cared for. just before we reach the HMA we see 2 lopes up on the side of a hill. After glassing them and confiming they are on public land we decide to give it a shot and find a route on BLM land. as we get close to 500yds out they moved out of sight around the hill. seen that move before, but say lets see if they didn't run a mile. As we round the hill we take 2 steps and glass(pretty standard for speed goats). after half hour i see the buck staring at us from 185yds. I pull up my riflre and put the crosshairs on his nose, only can see the head and not gonna take that shot in high winds. Then both lopes move up the hill we can't see the doe, but the buck is facing us and staring again. Only this time i can see from his knees up. I decide I'm confident in this shot as i moved to a kneeling position. Figuring he didn't go far I used 200yds as the range...BOOM...THUMP...he is hit  He turns and slowly goes over the next knoll out of site. Knowing the hit sounded good and not wanting to push him we wait 15 minutes. We made our way to where they were when I shot, no blood  :'(   
Make the decision to continue over the hill and after 30 yards see the buck down, but still breathing. We ended up watch his last 2 breathes and the excitement began....BUCK DOWN  8)
I never focused on the horns, but did notice they were wide. Not thick and a broken prong, but decent length. 
My shot ended up hitting 2" left and destroyed his right shoulder, a lung, 4 ribs and out. Not much blood on the ground until his final resting place. The right front leg was full of blood as was the body cavity.
We tried to get a 2nd buck, but couldn't make it happen. Even told ourselves in the last hour any antelope would do since the type 1 tag is any antelope. Nothing.

Overall we had a great trip and can't wait to do it again.
What we learned: Give ourselves more time for bucks.  The wind is no joke as it broke the canopy that was tied down and would have blown the tent away if not for clothes, cots, sleeping bags. all the stakes were pulled up  :yike:

PS - we had a nice view from camp and a kit fox visit us nightly. Night driving on open range...watch out for COWS  :bdid:

Offline Sutherland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:10:02 PM »
Very cool thanks for sharing!
 :tup:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 08:04:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 09:04:48 PM »
Cool!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 09:20:47 PM »
Congrats on a great hunt! Great write up of the adventure.  :tup:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »
I love stories like this. Congratulations. :tup:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:11:32 AM »
As a side note. Another great thing about this site...Tristan's camo clothes, bino harness, rangefinder, scope, knives, day pack and meat pack are all from members of Hunt-WA. Some purchased, some free  :tup:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
outstanding recap! Congrats guys!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
Congrats and great write up on your WY hunting experience!  We are hoping to do the same thing next year.  :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
Congrats, and nice write up.  Looked like a great trip!  Makes me excited to get out to WY in a couple years - still building up points.

Online CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Love it  :tup:
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline CJ1962

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »
Great story and memories, congrats!

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
Congrats to you and your son!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX