collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late Season Jacket  (Read 3386 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Late Season Jacket
« on: October 02, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
I have been slowly upgrading my gear over the years through sales and have been on the lookout for a late season jacket. I freeze my arse off when sitting in a stand in November so wanting to add a nice top and puffy bottom to my arsenal. I have a timberline jacket and heavyweight zip shirt that I was thinking would be my combination along with a regular base layer. Thoughts on this jacket?

https://www.mountain-archery.com/sitka-kelvin-hoody-open-country.aspx
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Late Season Jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
If you aren't set on synthetic, there are quality down jackets in the same price range if you don't need them camo.

I've been thinking about upgrading my puffy, I've hunted in it for 6-7 years now and it's starting to clump and not as warm.  I can't decide on fill because I use it for dry cold hunts in MT as well as wet cold duck hunts in WA.  I love down for warmth, weight and packability but obviously it isn't as good when it gets wet.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
I am not really set on anything at this point. I am just looking for a warm jacket that doesn't weigh much that I can pack in with me to my stand

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Late Season Jacket
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
I really like my First Lite Uncompaghre jacket. I’m having a hard time picturing silently drawing my bow from a tree stand in a puffy jacket though. Probably something to consider. I think puffy jackets are more intended to be used while sitting and glassing etc where making some noise isn’t a big deal.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:42:41 AM »
I really like my First Lite Uncompaghre jacket. I’m having a hard time picturing silently drawing my bow from a tree stand in a puffy jacket though. Probably something to consider. I think puffy jackets are more intended to be used while sitting and glassing etc where making some noise isn’t a big deal.

Agreed and I have actually been looking at the FL pants. As far as drawing my bow, this would mostly be used for late rifle as well as sitting and glassing

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:33:07 PM »
I have sitka kelvin pants and kelvin down ws puffy. Both are plenty warm.

Im not sure how firstlite can even call the unconpongre a puffy. The sitka kelvin lite is also lacking in extreme cold.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 12:53:15 PM »
My go to for late season is a Kelvin Lite with a down puffy vest underneath. I usually have another puffy in the pack if it’s really really cold but I’ve only had to put it on once or twice. The vest adds a lot of versatility vs one heavier coat

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »

Im not sure how firstlite can even call the unconpongre a puffy. The sitka kelvin lite is also lacking in extreme cold.

I don't disagree on the puffy in terms of the way it looks, but I wear mine a lot and it's weird warm.  I'd only ever wear it sitting. I've tried to hike with it on with weather in the 20's and it's too much. I'm a fan.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ironhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
I have a Sitka Puffy that I call my glassing jacket. Its not only warm but extremely lightweight.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »
I have the Kuiu superdown and its been awesome. I use when it's gets really cold in Montana and have used it in Alberta in late November too.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »

I don't disagree on the puffy in terms of the way it looks, but I wear mine a lot and it's weird warm.  I'd only ever wear it sitting. I've tried to hike with it on with weather in the 20's and it's too much. I'm a fan.
I think its probably like the kelvin light. Just not enough for extreme cold but fine for some cold.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
One of the best things I have for stand hunting is my set of predator camo heavy fleece. Super warm and as quiet as it gets for drawing a bow. Layers underneath and how many on how cold it is

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
 :yeah: for treestand sitting i have camo columbia brand wool bibs and jacket to go over my insulation layers

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 06:57:38 AM »
For long glassing sits in cold temps I rely on the Sitka Kelvin. When things are really bad I burrito wrap myself in a Kifaru woobie. Last years Wyoming elk hunt found me sitting for hours behind the glass in single digit temps.  That set up plus a small warming fire made it doable.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 07:35:23 AM »
I run a First Lite Brooks and when needed I'll throw my KUIU Guide Coat over the top.  No weather gets thru and it's very comfortable and packable.  I also use the FL Unclepadre pant when needed.
I run cold and this has been the only set up I've been able to pack tight as well as sit and glass for hours in. 
I've also ran the KUIU Super Down.  The Brooks is warmer and more comfy fit, but the KUIU is MUCH more durable.  I wouldn't wear the Brooks while hiking in any type of brush.  KUIU I have, and will run thru thick stuff without issue.

All the Sitka stuff was way too tight in the fore arm area for me. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]