collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chukar 2020  (Read 11530 times)

Offline DIron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Chukar 2020
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »
Good opener and subsequent weekends producing as well.

Enjoy!
nwalppineguide... looks like a great day.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
Another great day...

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »
Very cool pictures
I always see chukars while late archery hunting. Looks like a tough hunt.!

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
Four down...

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
Anybody do it without dogs for chucker? Been thinking about taking an adventure sometime to try it out. Never shot them before. To make it even more of a challenge with a 410 over under.  :chuckle:
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline BUCKHUNT

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2020, 09:05:16 AM »
Anybody do it without dogs for chucker? Been thinking about taking an adventure sometime to try it out. Never shot them before. To make it even more of a challenge with a 410 over under.  :chuckle:

Before I got my shorthair, I hunted dogless all the time. More than a few times, I've bumped a covey while quail hunting at higher elevations. There have also been a few times chukar hunting that the wind is wrong, so the dog didn't necessarily help in that case.

The bigger problem is finding the downed bird, especially if you hit one while they're bombing down a cliff. But I've found that if an area looks like it would hold chukar, it probably does. Good luck!

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »

Before I got my shorthair, I hunted dogless all the time. More than a few times, I've bumped a covey while quail hunting at higher elevations. There have also been a few times chukar hunting that the wind is wrong, so the dog didn't necessarily help in that case.

The bigger problem is finding the downed bird, especially if you hit one while they're bombing down a cliff. But I've found that if an area looks like it would hold chukar, it probably does. Good luck!
Very cool thanks. Yeah I do pheasant and quail with the 410 and have been very successful in recovery. Almost all birds recovered. There are a few circumstances that I will pass on shots if quail get to far over deep cattails. I'll look into chuker for the future. At this point I know nothing about them or areas so will hopefully gather details on them and make a hunt in the future. Birds or no birds have fun doing it.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
Chukar with no dog will also be a game of pick your shots, probably shooting and marking one bird at a time. They blend in very well on the ground and commonly you are hunting around large sage. Chukar country general is very repetitious and after 10 steps a landmark you thought you had can get lost.

Quite often its windy when you are hunting chukar. Try to approach rock structures in canyons that allow you to approach out of view. The birds hold in the lees but if they see you coming will tend to run.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
Did it all the time when not having a Lab. Easy peasy when you understand chukar very well.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2020, 10:31:42 AM »
Here is a summary of Ruby's first season. My first dog, my first time training a dog. Could not be more proud of her, she retrieved every bird to my hand including doubles, running birds, and sailed birds. First few hunts were in 80 degree weather. Not bad for less than a year old.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
Cool stuff.
My first dog was a golden too.
You made a great choice.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
That's awesome.  Looks like a great season, with many to come for that girl!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
Another great day...new spot

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal