collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lacey area help  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Brettb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: WTA
Lacey area help
« on: October 08, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
So given I live in the Lacey area and looking to start trapping this season, any advice as this is my first year and Washington law only authorizes live traps. I’ve trapped NJ,KS, CO,GA,AK in my time. Best I have right now are colony traps as I’ve locked up my conibears, footholds and snares. Lol. Also looking for a local fur buyer either skinned already or fresh. I thank you all in advance. Hope your traps are filled this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brettb

• Pilgrim
Re: Lacey area help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
I might as start by saying I’ve completed the online course, buying license this weekend.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:34:33 PM »
What do you plan to target?

Offline Brettb

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 09:58:46 PM »
What do you plan to target?
So I got colony for muskrats, but will target coons once picking up cages.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »
I'm not sure there is a good animal to target given the prices. I do understand trapping for fun though so whatever you enjoy trapping is where it is at. That being said I bet you will have a disappointing time targeting muskrats around Lacey.
I would instead get the traps to target beaver and otter and throw in a few rat sets as you find them. I'm betting a little diversity will be more enjoyable.
Same traps could do you well for a chance at a bobcat too. Couple of good swim throughs that can double on cats are going to set you back near $500 so if that is beyond your budget maybe a few mink sized traps you could double for marten if you get the urge to go high and try for them.
Anyway, IMO in these market conditions go with what will be fun.
As for a fur dealer, on the westside you are out of luck. There are no carcass buyers this side of the Cascades. You can sell put up furs at the WSTA Winter Rendezvous at the Thurston County Fairgrounds likely in March (no date set at this time). Two buyers and FHA on the eastside. They will likely be present at the Winter rendezvous.
If you want to PM me I'm an instructor and would be more then happy to help out with questions. I do manufacture and sell swim throughs also.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Brettb

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
Yeah. Trappings not the same here as it was in Alaska. Lol. But weather is a lot better to get my son out with me this time. Now just have to find locations to trap. JBLM has no trapping at all, so that limits me even more. Just looking for weekend fun with my son since I’m active duty. Any suggestions?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
I'm not familiar with that area. I hope someone else will chime in with advise.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
Try knocking on some doors along Spurgen Creek  Rd or on Rainier Rd out past Lacey city limits to Stedman Rd.  Google Maps will shown you where the creeks and swamps are.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Brettb

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
Ok. Thanks. Just wanted to come in the chat so I don’t impede on other trappers trapping grounds outside of asking permission from people. Alaska was easy cause only few would travel into the wild to trap and snow machine tracks were easy to see if trappers were there already. I’ll browse the topo maps and start finalizing ground. Thanks everyone.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »
I trapped for the first time last year, so I am also new at it. What I have found is, almost everyone is pissed at beavers cause of the damage they cause. So if you see any close by places that look good to you, stop and ask the owner. It's funny, I was really nervous asking. But so far the responses I have gotten are. "God bless you", "Only if you KILL them all, none of that relocation BS" lol I can't, I have to kill them, or let them go where they where caught. "Thank you THANK YOU, PLEASE trap hear, how can I help?" I was shocked.

What I have found in trapping beavers in neighborhoods is. There's tons of otters and some of them are really big, and I catch as many otters as beavers. When I am targeting beavers. I like blind sets on pinch points. lol But I am new. I want to try and catch my first bobcat this year. Fingers crossed. Good luck and happy trapping. Oh and I wouldn't sell anything at today's prices. I think you are better off to send it to Mole and Mink and have it tanned and do something with it. I was amazed at how nice the things I caught came back from them. Don't forget to get your otters sealed and your trapping report, got to keep a log though the year to fill that darn thing out. Or at least I found I had to.

Offline Brettb

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 01:24:41 AM »
I thank everyone for their responses. Your input will definitely help me shape my season. If anyone else reads this and has other input, please chime in. I’m all ears.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »
Seems to me beaver removal has been my foot in the door for many other purposes. Easy to get permission oh and while your here could you get rid of the possum that keeps getting into my garbage cans? By the way do you hunt elk? They keep getting into my garden .. this happens quite frequently I actualy have one farm that I'm now managing every animal on the farm except the dang cows! Get a few otter and a nice pile of muskrats off that farm every year

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 11:52:41 AM »
I'm not a trapper so take this for what it's worth.  Being active military there is a military parking lot right on nisqually river off of mounts road.  From I-5 going south/east there is a huge marsh along the river and close to the tide flats.  It butts up against the fishing access.  Might be worth a drive by and see what you think, see muskrats while fishing so might be some other things in there that you might be after.  It's close so figured I'd throw it out there.  There is a water shed where mounts rod/old nisqually ties into pacific.  lots of fields, water, creeks. 

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »
I'm not a trapper so take this for what it's worth.  Being active military there is a military parking lot right on nisqually river off of mounts road.  From I-5 going south/east there is a huge marsh along the river and close to the tide flats.  It butts up against the fishing access.  Might be worth a drive by and see what you think, see muskrats while fishing so might be some other things in there that you might be after.  It's close so figured I'd throw it out there.  There is a water shed where mounts rod/old nisqually ties into pacific.  lots of fields, water, creeks.

I have wondered about that area, seems like it may be a little honey hole for rats if the water doesn't get to brackish also never a shortage of ducks every time I drive through there. Always pack a duck stamp and scatter gun while checking traps never know when you get a bonus meal to go with your fur  :tup:

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »

I have wondered about that area, seems like it may be a little honey hole for rats if the water doesn't get to brackish also never a shortage of ducks every time I drive through there. Always pack a duck stamp and scatter gun while checking traps never know when you get a bonus meal to go with your fur  :tup:

I am pretty sure a trapper went missing in there 20 to 30 years ago and he has never been found.  Those tidal areas can be especially tricky. 
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal