collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is this a badger hole?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Is this a badger hole?
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
Cant imagine what else it could possibly be based off the size.  And i believe they eat whistle pigs, right?  Plenty of those squeakers around here.  And i did get a badger on cam not too far from here, less than 1/2 mile, so theyre in the area for certain, despite being pretty rare in these parts.  So if this is in fact a badger hole, couple questions.  Are they active in november / december?  Would i stand a chance in hell of getting one with a cage trap set nearby?  I really dont know a damn thing about badgers, and this is my first year with a trapping license, so sorry if these are stupid questions.  I just know ive wanted one ever since seeing a big ol *censored* stinkeye me from his den down by dayton when i was hunting deer down there about 27 years ago.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Is this a badger hole?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:07:05 PM »
I cage trapped a couple with a skunky call lure and some nice as bait.

They are hard on traps. Worse than anything.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:10:04 PM »
I cage trapped a couple with a skunky call lure and some nice as bait.

They are hard on traps. Worse than anything.

So they must be active during trapping season.  So if some snow hits and i find tracks around one of these holes, think i should put a trap right by the hole?  Would it need to be kind of brushed in like a bobcat set?  The traps i bought off a member here seem real heavy duty, i think they can take a beating.  And honestly, as long as the trap holds it, if it gets wrecked im okay with that.  Id consider the destruction of a 50 dollar trap worth every penny if i get a badger out of the deal.

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
I’d get your trap out on opening day of trapping season if there’s still sign around. In my experience they tend to hibernate very early. I got one on november 3 a couple years ago

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 08:23:45 AM »
Yep won't get much time during November. I wouldn't set too close by but maybe 100'-200' upwind. Maybe try prebaiting?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
I've never trapped a badger but everything I read about them says they prime up late. Nov. Dec. badgers are supposed to be of poor quality.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:46:24 AM »
What a dandy wall hanger a badger would be! But I'll be building a MUCH heavier trap before I try for one iv seen plenty of picture and video on what they can do to a foothold when they get caught and the amount of dirt they can dig up is wild

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »
If you did want to sell badger, I think the best money comes from a small group in the art community.  The hair is the best for certain paints (painting stained glass).

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »
If you did want to sell badger, I think the best money comes from a small group in the art community.  The hair is the best for certain paints (painting stained glass).

Badger are graded as either fur badgers or hair badgers. The traditional market for hair badgers was for brushes. I think you can still get badger hair shaving brushes. Most of that market is gone to synthetics though.

What a dandy wall hanger a badger would be! But I'll be building a MUCH heavier trap before I try for one iv seen plenty of picture and video on what they can do to a foothold when they get caught and the amount of dirt they can dig up is wild

I have been told they are no worse then a raccoon on a trap. Still I have a feeling a stouter trap then your average raccoon trap would be in order. I was told a guy took one last year in one of my traps with no damage to the trap. Unfortunately no pictures were taken.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 12:46:28 PM »
The ones I caught were about like a big boar coon. Anything that could be chewed or bent, was. Good quality trap will be fine 👍

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »

Badger are graded as either fur badgers or hair badgers. The traditional market for hair badgers was for brushes. I think you can still get badger hair shaving brushes. Most of that market is gone to synthetics though.

I have been told they are no worse then a raccoon on a trap. Still I have a feeling a stouter trap then your average raccoon trap would be in order. I was told a guy took one last year in one of my traps with no damage to the trap. Unfortunately no pictures were taken.

I don't doubt your traps would hold one bruce that cage material is stout! But my 1x2 14gauge wire....no thanks  :chuckle:

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
Im not an expert by any means, but most badger holes I have saw were more oval in shape because of the way they dig. Coyote make more of a round hole.

Offline Elkslayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
Good luck Bango! I've been wanting to trap one as well but they're pretty scarce around here and they seem to move a lot.
"YOU MUST FACE YOUR CHALLENGES HEAD ON IN ORDER TO SUCCEED."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal