collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Blacktail rut/pre-rut and post rut thread  (Read 51450 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2020 Blacktail rut/pre-rut thread
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
Killer buck Sundance!  I knew you'd find a great buck before the season was over. That is a very cool rack.  6 X 5 - eyeguards?

Could you make any sense out of why the deer were being so vocal?  Was the buck pushing the does around or was there another buck there?
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
Another awesome buck shows up while I was typing.  Congrats bornhunter!  That buck is a toad too!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline BA Mongor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »
Great buck !!!!
Stud..

Offline Sundance

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
Killer buck Sundance!  I knew you'd find a great buck before the season was over. That is a very cool rack.  6 X 5 - eyeguards?

Could you make any sense out of why the deer were being so vocal?  Was the buck pushing the does around or was there another buck there?

There is a split on the left G2 that may/may not count but I measured it at 1 1/8". If that's included it's a 6X7 (counting eyeguards and drop tine), gross in the low 150's. He had a doe locked down and there were two smaller bucks circling within 50 yards. A couple fawns were hanging around also, but the vocalizations were coming from the satellite bucks and the mature buck. They were about 20 yard apart and talking back and forth, honestly you wouldn't have been able to hear these deer from further then 75 yards away. I had the satellite bucks at 5 yards but they didn't make me, then the doe and the big buck moved to a window at 7 yards and I was able to sneak an arrow in him. Thank God for tall ferns and no wind.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »
Cool thread and I know nothing about black tails so fun read. And nice bucks on the last page way to go!

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
That's an incredible buck, Sundance! Sounds like a fantastic experience.
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
Man great buck

Thanks. I was waiting for an old black boar to show up to an orchard I was sitting on and this guy shows up.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2020, 09:16:53 AM »
The bucks have moved into lockdown phase. They are cornering does in the thickets and waiting for their estrus to start before breeding them. They’ll continue to do this until they breed the doe then they will cruise and look for another receptive doe. Not seeing as much cruising during the daytime because they are cruising at night with a full moon. Covering ground in the thick brush is a good way to go, usually you’ll hear them bump when you find them. Typically you’ll find a buck that’s locked down a doe with some satellite bucks hanging out in the area.

It's a little late to be telling us how to hint the slowest season anyone can remember.   :chuckle:  In a lot of ways, I think you're right on, though the deer scientists say there is no such thing as a lockdown.  Having watched three single doe out standing in a cut, off and on all day, with no buck takers, there seems to be a lot of truth in your ideas.  Seems like they find the doe they think will hit estrus first and stick with her till they can dump her and move on.  Sounds like college!  :chuckle:

Thought I had a winning lottery ticket when a doe got up  45 minutes to last light and took a stance on the side of a hill in front of me at 120 yards.  She waited patiently, then after a decient wait, moved up and skylined herself till it was to dark to see.  Bucks didn't care at all. 

All in all, the number of shots I've heard seems to be doubling every day since Firiday, which is'nt saying a lot.  Perhaps 12 - 15 shots heard today.

Can’t give out all the trade secrets on opening day!

It was a weird early season, I hit the brush hard for 5 days and didn’t see any deer until the last day. I bumped them in a thicket and ended up watching these deer for 20 minutes before I had a shot. Hands down the most vocalizations I’ve ever heard in one instance. They were grunting, bleating and snort wheezing. Amazing experience that wrapped up pretty well.

Man, makes me want to go dive into an alder thicket and do the creep.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
 :tup:

Awesome bucks .
Not many of those big timber fern bottoms left anymore. If I find one I stick with it. Deer heaven.

Offline Trigger05-11

• Tracker
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »
Sundance-

Some great Blacktails have been killed this year. A few have been posted on this site. Yours may be the best. Have you got a green scored yet? He is a tremendous buck!  Congratulations!

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Sundance-

Some great Blacktails have been killed this year. A few have been posted on this site. Yours may be the best. Have you got a green scored yet? He is a tremendous buck!  Congratulations!

I green scored him at 154 2/8" gross last night, so roughly a 150" gross buck.

Offline Trigger05-11

• Tracker
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »
Sundance-

That’s amazing. You will sit high in the book. Mine green scored at 138. Do you have any pics of his width? Frontal pics? Congratulations again.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:57:45 AM by Trigger05-11 »

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
Couple of stud blacktail bucks!!! Congrats Sundance and Born hunter. WTG :tup:

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »

There is a split on the left G2 that may/may not count but I measured it at 1 1/8". If that's included it's a 6X7 (counting eyeguards and drop tine), gross in the low 150's. He had a doe locked down and there were two smaller bucks circling within 50 yards. A couple fawns were hanging around also, but the vocalizations were coming from the satellite bucks and the mature buck. They were about 20 yard apart and talking back and forth, honestly you wouldn't have been able to hear these deer from further then 75 yards away. I had the satellite bucks at 5 yards but they didn't make me, then the doe and the big buck moved to a window at 7 yards and I was able to sneak an arrow in him. Thank God for tall ferns and no wind.

Drop tine?!  What the.....   I had to go back and examine the monster a litttle closer.  Geeze, what a buck!  I love the photo too - I named it "Sundance contemplating (or perhaps overwhelmed by) the trophy buck!" 

I've only got one more question - What series of events or clues led Sundance to this particular thicket in the middle of a very large forest.  ( in other words - how the heck do you keep finding them (in three thousand words or less.)  :chuckle:

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
My October 27th on the left and my dads forky was in the 25th. Nice little window of good hunting we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal