collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Revolver cartridge?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Best Revolver cartridge?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
If you reload, the 44 special covers a lot of applications. Something liken the a Mountain Lite is on the large size for concealed carry, but it's doable. Typical self defense loads are basically equal to the 45acp, but you can load them (in appropriate revolvers) with 240gr bullets up to around 1,200fps for defense from 4 legged threats.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
Gp100. 357 mag
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
45 colt is good if you hand load but normal factory stuff is not plentiful I still think 357mag is the one as long as the big bears aren't in play

Cowboy loads all the way up to Buffallo Bore are available, just not as plentiful as .38 spl and .357 mag.  Handloading is always a plus, and the savings really add up in .45 colt.

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
.45 Colt if you handload. .43 magnum might have the edge as far as availability if you dont. .357 was a round I tried hard to like and just never could get into it for some reason.

Offline chukar58

• Hunter
  • What's in your freezer?
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, RMEF
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 07:54:34 PM »
Two things that will be around forever,  the 45 colt and coyotes.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »
Is there a 30-06 revolver out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 08:10:17 PM »
IMO I cant help but pair revolvers with lever guns. Im not sure if its because Ive read too many Louis Lamore books or that pistol caliber lever guns are just so much fun to shoot. Additionally if I only had 2 guns that i had to travel with a revolver and lever gun dont fall into the evil black gun category which is a plus

Since you were asking about revolver rounds i have to say 357 because you can shoot a wide variety of ammo, and the lever gun is fun to shoot. IF however you were more determined for some umph and carbine wallop Id say 44 mag. I dont care for strange cartridges. I dont reload but i do buy in bulk when stuff goes on sale. Your not gonna see a big sale on 41mag.  :twocents:

I really like this gun, wish i could find one to shoot.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 08:10:45 PM »
.45 Colt if you handload. .43 magnum might have the edge as far as availability if you dont. .357 was a round I tried hard to like and just never could get into it for some reason.

I'm having a hard time finding .43 magnum.  Where do you find it ?
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding .43 magnum.  Where do you find it ?

Its everywhere just mislabeled as as .44 lol

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
IMO I cant help but pair revolvers with lever guns. Im not sure if its because Ive read too many Louis Lamore books or that pistol caliber lever guns are just so much fun to shoot. Additionally if I only had 2 guns that i had to travel with a revolver and lever gun dont fall into the evil black gun category which is a plus

Since you were asking about revolver rounds i have to say 357 because you can shoot a wide variety of ammo, and the lever gun is fun to shoot. IF however you were more determined for some umph and carbine wallop Id say 44 mag. I dont care for strange cartridges. I dont reload but i do buy in bulk when stuff goes on sale. Your not gonna see a big sale on 41mag.  :twocents:

It's hard not to love the revolver/lever combo. 

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 08:43:14 PM »

Until you shoot a good semi  :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2020, 08:45:02 PM »

But this isnt a Semi/Carbine thread discussion... I like those as well!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2020, 08:49:43 PM »
Put your hands together.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »

But this isnt a Semi/Carbine thread discussion... I like those as well!

Sorry I can't help myself
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2020, 08:39:15 AM »
My friend & I each pack the Ruger Blackhawk, 4 5/8" stainless. His is a 44mag, mine is a .357. Pretty identical frame between the two, just different cartridge. Awesome revolvers.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal