collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Excited to take new hunters on their first trip  (Read 1015 times)

Offline abhold87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Excited to take new hunters on their first trip
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:11:37 AM »
I always laugh a little when I realize how excited I am to help new hunters on a trip. Wether it’s big game or waterfowl I’m just super pumped to get out there and watch the roller coaster ride of emotions. Serving in the Washington national guard we are lucky enough to be able to get free hunting licenses so I am a huge advocate to try and get fellow Soldiers into the outdoors if they never have. I talked to new hunters into going this year and I am currently on my way to pick them up and head down to hunt for the week. Also trying to get my other Soldier Who I almost every year get to do the high buck with his second Deer. Hopefully we find some bucks in the new area we plan to hunt but I plan on trying to make the experience itself a blast so the want to continue to go out. Fingers crossed for some pictures to be added here at the end of the week of some dead bucks. Good luck to everyone out there!
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Excited to take new hunters on their first trip
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
You're a good man taking care of those soldiers.  Good luck!  Looking forward to success pics.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »
YOU are the kind of person who helped me get my buck last week and your attitude is priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 02:50:37 PM »
WTG, AB. Hoo-ah.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
Well after a hard week of hunting we ended up seeing way more elk and big bulls then deer. Saw a big bull with a herd of elk every day of hunting with one day including a non typical bull and huge 7x7 as the largest in a group over 100. We had freezing temps, rain, huge wind gusts, and sideways snow. Once the sun popped out the ridge across from us had deer popping out of every draw. I spotted one deer by itself which had a larger body but couldn’t tel if it had antlers from that distance. I dropped my phone so the guys worked over towards me and helped find it before we decided to work our way down the ridge and look across into the other side of the canyon and spot deer. We sat and began to look over where the one deer had been previously and right away I spotted it bedded down in some brush and it was a legal 3x3. After dome Rock Paper Scissors battles we made a plan with the winner and him and I began to take off down the ridge to put a stalk on the buck. Working out way through som cliffs and across the creek we headed back up the other ridge. We hit the first group of rocks where I knew we had to cut right towards the draw holding the buck and took off our packs and noisy clothing. I radioed up to the other two confirming the buck was still there as they watched thru the spotting scope and binoculars. We continued our stalk and tried to look into the draw but it was to steep with no cover. We backed out and down two more time before we got to the original rock I wanted to go to. With the wind swirling I figured the deer would smell us soon so my excitement was going crazy. We reached the rock and I looked over to find the buck still bedded down with only his neck and a little of the shoulder showing with his head looking right at us. He was only 150 yards away so I coached the first time shooter on what to do next and if he was comfortable with the neck shot to take it. He gets ready and fires off a shot, clean miss 🤦🏻‍♂️, the buck stands up now broadside confused With what happened and gives us another chance. He loads another round (right handed shooting a left handed gun) and fires another shot..... another clean miss 😂, the buck now turns towards us slightly facing to the right and he double feeds his gun. After dropping the mag and fixing the craziness I tell him to wait for a better shot as the buck STILLL just stands there. I tell him to aim right in the chest between the legs at the base of the neck and let another shot go. The rifle goes off and the buck drops in his tracks dead as can be. Then the excitement really kicks in. After boning it out, a lot of miles and creek crossing later, and getting back to camp around 1AM it was a awesome first deer and well earned.
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »
Nice buck.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »
Video after the shot

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal