collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting gloves  (Read 1433 times)

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
Hunting gloves
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:24:58 AM »
What's the best cold weather glove out there?

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: Hunting gloves
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 07:00:34 AM »
After getting frostbite on most of my fingers duck hunting last Saturday I broke down & bought 2 pairs of Sitka gloves. The Downpour GTX are awesome & kept my fingers warm duck hunting in he snow on Monday. I also bought a lighter pair that are all black that were 50% off at Scheel’s. I wore them pheasant hunting and they were very good also. Both are goretex & comfortable. Best gloves I’ve ever worn & worth the money.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 07:47:41 AM »
The best cold weather hunting glove is the Manzella bow hunting convertible glove.  I buy a new pair every year or every other year and have used them for about 8-10 years at least.  I now buy a pair every other year for all of my family household members too.  They have the mitten flap and the fingerless style when the flap is open.  You can put a handwarmer in the flap and the flap is magnetic and the magnet holds open the flap even with the weight of the handwarmer (key).  The thumb even has a "slot" where you can stick it out from under the glove which is good for shooting a rifle, taking the safety off, etc.  The bowhunting glove will do all you need to do....

My experience.....I have used these on numerous trips out of state, Montana and Idaho and in Washington State.  Last year was the coldest I have ever hunted in Montana, it was 24 below zero at the truck and the gloves did their job! 

The biggest drawback?  They aren't waterproof so I carry a spare set in my pack on wet days.  Also, I tend to burn the "hairs" on them when cooking with my pack stove and it creates kind of a sandpaper that isn't kind when I wipe my nose with them!   

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 05:12:06 AM »
I don’t know if they’re the “best” but when temps get single digits and lower I use a thin merino liner glove as my base with the Sitka stormfront  glove. When it gets really bad I drop a hand warmer into each glove.

Most of the time I use the Sitka mountain glove. They’re like a jet stream jacket for your hands.  I’ve been using these hunting antelope in Montana this week. For tomorrow’s deer opening it will be -5 F here so switching to the stormfronts.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:49 AM »
wheres here?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 06:50:36 AM »
Deer opens in Montana tomorrow so I'm guessing.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
The best cold weather hunting glove is the Manzella bow hunting convertible glove.  I buy a new pair every year or every other year and have used them for about 8-10 years at least.  I now buy a pair every other year for all of my family household members too.  They have the mitten flap and the fingerless style when the flap is open.  You can put a handwarmer in the flap and the flap is magnetic and the magnet holds open the flap even with the weight of the handwarmer (key).  The thumb even has a "slot" where you can stick it out from under the glove which is good for shooting a rifle, taking the safety off, etc.  The bowhunting glove will do all you need to do....

My experience.....I have used these on numerous trips out of state, Montana and Idaho and in Washington State.  Last year was the coldest I have ever hunted in Montana, it was 24 below zero at the truck and the gloves did their job! 

The biggest drawback?  They aren't waterproof so I carry a spare set in my pack on wet days.  Also, I tend to burn the "hairs" on them when cooking with my pack stove and it creates kind of a sandpaper that isn't kind when I wipe my nose with them!   

Second on the Manzella! I’ve used mine sitting in a tree stand all day during late season for a number of seasons and I’ve never looked for anything else.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand