collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Amazed and frustrated  (Read 4256 times)

Offline pastormike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Amazed and frustrated
« on: October 21, 2020, 05:26:19 AM »
What to do?
Last week we were told by a private landowner who participates with the written permission to hunt program that "we're all full this weekend, but if you come back next week you can hunt."
So, we saw deer there and scouted the place from 2 miles away and figured out what the deer are doing there. Main bedding and main escape route.
Came back all the way from Bremerton to past Moses Lake, met the man and signed up. Talked about what we knew so far, seemed like just small talk-being polite, etc...
As soon as we signed, he told us to hunt south of all the places we just talked about. 6 hours later he told us  we could only there this morning and that other hunters "that signed up way before [me] were hunting Thursday and Friday." So we can't hunt then  During our small talk I told him we had to go back Saturday cuz I'm a pastor and can't stay the weekend.

We are completely confused. What are the rules for the landowner? What is this mysterious "formal agreement between wdfw and the landowner?" Do they benefit fiscally just by signing people up?

Because of what he said, we have come back as soon, as we we're signed up, without actually saying it, we were told we can't hunt.
I'm a doctoral student and really hate having my time wasted --very frustrated. I really hope this day works out.

Oh by the way, there are no other hunters. I've been watching those deer since last week. None whatsoever. I know he is in the CRP program. Does he get money for opening up the land and signing hunters?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Amazed and frustrated
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:36:47 AM »
I had a bad experience as well, was signed up for a certain weekend 6 months in advance and then called a month in advance to confirm and no bananas, they gave away my slot because they hadn't heard from me?

I know there are problems with MT as well, same kind of thing happens when landowners manage the permission system.

In both places, it's whatever rules the landowner wants to use, they can give permission to whoever they want and there is really no accountability.  I pretty much gave up on those types of properties, I only use the FFTH or reservation properties as well as public.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:15:27 AM »
I don’t think you can do much it is probably his prerogative. Have you fully explained to him how his actions are affecting you guys though. At this point what do you have to loose. Put it all out on the table and help him see your side and ask him more about his side (and listen). You might come away feeling bad for him and what he’s up against or he might change his tune and allow you to hunt those bucks. Maybe start out with a bottle as a peace offering. Good luck I hope it works out for you, never know maybe you guys will come away with a friendship because of this  :tup: :tup:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »
I may be wrong......but I believe they get paid something to put their land into this program. Then they can do whatever they want, and let no one hunt if they want to.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:37 AM »
i have seen tons of issues with this system.  i have seen the "we already gave out the permission to others"  although what i later found out was  that the "others" were just the local family members.  super frustrating. but in the long run, they do pay the taxes on the land, and it is "their" land, and unfortunately, all they have to do is show proof to wdfw that they gave permission, doesn't matter who they gave it too.  so basically your pretty much SOL. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »
They get paid a small amount.  Under written permission, they control who hunts and can make any rules or limitations they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 07:18:00 AM »
I lean more into the camp that most of these guys are salt of the earth people that would like to allow people to hunt their land.... They are not doing any of this for financial gain. These guys are extremely busy working their land (that they love) and they find themselves trying to manage who’s going on their land and when. Maybe more of a hinderance than anything. The first post started off with  “What to do”

Don’t run into the rabbit hole that is this guy is trying to manipulate the system for his gain. It’s probably not true. You should keep a level head and talk with him and hopefully have a fun time hunting deer this week. :tup:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 07:34:19 AM »
If I had a bait and switch like that pulled on me I wouldn't ever go back.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:41:46 AM »
Unfortunately he can do what he wants. It’s his ground. He probably does get something in return from wdfw. Dep tags being enrolled in there program. It sucks for you and others that have got “permission”. Like said above, I wouldn’t go back!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
tuff situation but honestly, the land owner is in charge.. not sure what could be done. never had a positive experience in WA with this program, have pretty much written it off as state welfare for land owners so friends and family have private hunt access (from my experiences)… of course there are exceptions but...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »
I've always avoided lands like that.  Too many rules about what you can and can't do, too many opportunities for months of planning to go to waste, etc.  I want high probability hunts - I want to know if I bust my butt I've got a good chance of getting into animals.  Having my planning and hard work potentially go to waste because of someone else just doesn't appeal to me.

Public land is great, secured private land is even better if you get an opportunity.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »
This is part of the program that is being highly over abused.  The feel free to hunt program and the reservation to hunt program have been a success.  But the "Hunt by Written Permission" program has turned into a major scam.  One of my fishing partners is a fish biologist for WDFW.  They share offices here in the Tri-Cities with the wardens and the animal biologists.  He says that there is a lot of abuse by land owners on this issue.  Yes, there are land owners that are doing the right thing and not abusing the system, but they are now the minority.  Yes, the people do own the land and have the right to do what they want and let who they want access that land.  But when our tax money and license fee money is paid to a land owner to allow others to hunt their land and they in turn don't let some form of the general public access, they are abusing the system.  WDFW biologists are frustrated because they (WDFW hired personnel) are supplying the signs and actually posting the land owners property with the idea that it will provide a form of public access and then finding out the land owner is still only letting themselves, close family, and close friends hunt the land (the same people that were hunting the land before they enrolled in the program).  They are using our resources (Money) to post their property and then get kick-backs from the states because they enrolled in the program with no intentions of letting anyone of the general public on the land.  There needs to be some form of accountability on this program because it has turned into a major scam that we as hunters are paying for.  Like I said, not all of the landowners in the program are abusing the program but it has turned into a thing were most are. 

If they really want to have public hunters have access, but limit the over crowded issue, they should put their land in the reservation system.  If they want to hunt the property themselves for the first weekend, they should black out those dates for themselves and friends and still have the rest of the general public get access through the reservation system.  Then WDFW could see what bang they were getting for their (and ours) bucks spent on the program.  As it is now, there is no accountability for the program and no way to monitor or measure the programs use.
Zonk Volmer

Offline deereman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 10:05:31 AM »
Mostly old retired farmers that still have their land in CRP. They are pretty desperate to get their land re-enrolled after their 10 year contract is up. Getting enrolled is based on a point system. You get points for land class, rainfall, plant diversity etc. putting your land in with the dept of wildlife programs will earn your some more points. This helps them so they keep their land in CRP. Otherwise they will lease it to the neighbor who will take out the grass and start farming Wheat again. Only the farms with the highest point score get to be in the CRP program. There is not an actual $ amount the farmer gets to enroll with the wildlife programs.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Call the DFW and get in touch with the private lands coordinator (not sure if that's the title). I'd report him.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
Pretty interesting posts from Deereman and Volmer to explain the system.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]