collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which Weatherby Caliber?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Which Weatherby Caliber?
« on: October 23, 2020, 07:23:02 AM »
6.5-300 vs. 270 weatherby magnum? Mainly mule deer gun with occasional elk. Opinions? Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Which Weatherby Caliber?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 07:31:53 AM »
Same same...might check into brass availability of the 270

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »
I saw a 270 Weatherby mag on here for sale.. I think it came with some ammo also.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 08:36:26 AM »
I saw a 270 Weatherby mag on here for sale.. I think it came with some ammo also.
Yep RC is correct
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,253309.0.html
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:48 AM »
Sold...

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 08:38:17 AM »
257 isnt out of the question either

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »
id go with none of the above. Too many calibers out there that do it the same or better and with better brass/ammo options.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »
id go with none of the above. Too many calibers out there that do it the same or better and with better brass/ammo options.
:yeah:

When I was younger I had a love affair with just about anything Weatherby then as I got older and learned more, not so much.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
I get it...ive just always wanted a weatherby

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
:yeah:

When I was younger I had a love affair with just about anything Weatherby then as I got older and learned more, not so much.
Im not very young...most of the hunting I do is with a tikka 270. I understand there are other calibers out there that also do well, just have decided my next gun will be a weatherby caliber in probably a mark V...its not like this is the last gun ill ever buy and it has to handle everything on planet earth.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
I like Weatherby cartridges, the company has developed cartridges in most calibers with flatter shooting ballistics than standard cartridges. What this means to me is that I can hold dead on an animal at a further distance than standard cartridges. Often times you get only a couple seconds to take a shot before an animal turns away or simply disappears into the vegetation. I can simply hold dead on and shoot the animal at greater distances without needing to compensate or fumble with dials. I don't care if the cartridge costs more money, I don't care if the rifle barrel only lasts for 500 to 1000 rounds, what is most important to me is that I made the shot before the animal disappeared. The icing on the cake is that Weatherby cartridges deliver the same bullets with a lot more energy at the same distance as other standard calibers. So not only do you hold dead on at longer distances, your bullet has more knock down energy when it hits the animal. I don't think it makes a huge difference between 6.5 and 270, I think with either of them you can hold dead on at a further distance than their contemporary counterparts and make more kills because of these two reasons combined!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
I like guns and I want alot of them

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
.257 is on my list also...

Any thoughts on the 6.5 RPM?

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
I like Weatherby cartridges, the company has developed cartridges in most calibers with flatter shooting ballistics than standard cartridges. What this means to me is that I can hold dead on an animal at a further distance than standard cartridges. Often times you get only a couple seconds to take a shot before an animal turns away or simply disappears into the vegetation. I can simply hold dead on and shoot the animal at greater distances without needing to compensate or fumble with dials. I don't care if the cartridge costs more money, I don't care if the rifle barrel only lasts for 500 to 1000 rounds, what is most important to me is that I made the shot before the animal disappeared. The icing on the cake is that Weatherby cartridges deliver the same bullets with a lot more energy at the same distance as other standard calibers. So not only do you hold dead on at longer distances, your bullet has more knock down energy when it hits the animal. I don't think it makes a huge difference between 6.5 and 270, I think with either of them you can hold dead on at a further distance than their contemporary counterparts and make more kills because of these two reasons combined!
Yep...that 6.5-300 with that berger can have a 400 yard zero hold...sounds awesome to me

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 09:31:18 AM »
I want to add this, the 6.5 is based on the 300 Weatherby case, the 270 is on the 7mm Weatherby case which holds less powder. I haven't compared ballistics but I'll bet the 6.5 is superior.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal