collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Down and Rutting Hard  (Read 4273 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blacktail Down and Rutting Hard
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Very nice! Anyone else think that buck's left antler looks like a whitetail antler?

I think they both look like WT antlers in the last photo.  Very cool - looks like he was getting a dropper on the R.  Every once in awhile, a BT buck ends up with a rack that looks suspiciously like a WT, especially in the lowlands.  Columbian WT's were common in the region from the Columbia River up to Southern Puget Sound in the distant past.  Hybridization has been confirmed between the two species previously, so it makes perfect sense that every once in a while, the BT offspring get a rare mix of genes that produces antlers that appear to belong to WTs. 

Excellent way to close out the season Tree Farmer.  Hopefully this success means you've turned the corner on a rough year and things are now headed in a positive direction.  Shoot me a PM sometime if you want to talk trees.   
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
Excellent buck, great job!

In relation to the antlers, blacktail are prone to all kinds of goofy antler configurations. I know a guy that's killed two near Darrington that had similar antler configurations that ones left side. The all off the main beam is consistent with Whitetail, that's what we recognize it as, but it happens in blacktail as well as mule deer. A close friend killed a whopper Mule Deer in sage brush of Yakima County a few years ago that had all antler points of the main beam. It happens.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »
Forget about that four point in the trail camera. You shot the much better buck.

Congratulations!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
Good story  :tup: :tup: :tup:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline abhold87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2020, 03:45:03 PM »
Amazing buck congrats
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Excellent buck, great job!

In relation to the antlers, blacktail are prone to all kinds of goofy antler configurations. I know a guy that's killed two near Darrington that had similar antler configurations that ones left side. The all off the main beam is consistent with Whitetail, that's what we recognize it as, but it happens in blacktail as well as mule deer. A close friend killed a whopper Mule Deer in sage brush of Yakima County a few years ago that had all antler points of the main beam. It happens.

Agreed.  Muleys and WT also hybridize occasionally.  The antler configuration could show up many generations after the original cross-breeding. I don't think I've ever seen a WT with forking like a muley though....  Hmmmmm

Regardless,,,, great success on that stellar buck!  Congratulations again.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal