collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Lite Corrugate Guide jacket  (Read 4624 times)

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
First Lite Corrugate Guide jacket
« on: October 23, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
About to hit the button "Complete Order" on the Corrugate Guide Jacket.  I've never purchased an expensive line of hunting attire, so this is a bit new to me. My clothing has usually been Dry Plus by Cabela's.  Seems like everyone has their own opinions between Kuiu, FL and Sitka.  To anyone who has this "model", how much extra room do I need to account for, in regards to layering.  This jacket will be used in the SW part of the State for September Archery Elk, and then late season Blacktail. How much do you all layer under this jacket once we are talking about temps in the 40's all day (maybe even low 30's in the morning)...I run a tad warmer, so was considering a long sleeve flannel, or long sleeve t shirt with fleece vest. 5'8 200. XL? 
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
Re: First Lite Corrugate Guide jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
My son says large
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 02:52:13 PM »
Thanks Zwickey. Taking all the notes

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
This is a pretty light weight piece fyi. Not worth the cash in my opinion.  Plus its FL so the stitching will come unraveled your first few trips out anyways  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline IFunk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, TBOW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
As an unhappy owner of one, I have firsthand knowledge of this jacket.  Do yourself a favor and buy something else.  I like the fit of it, but the performance sucks!  It might work in a place like Arizona where it rarely rains.   

I called First Lite last year and they suggested I get this jacket.  I said I'd be using it primarily to hunt deer in wet Western Washington. 

So the first time I used this jacket it let me down.  I sweated a bit on the hike up and it didn't breathe leaving me cold once I got to the top of our glassing area in NE Washington in October of last year.  I then used it hiking around in the sage in November and found it didn't breath even though I was exerting that much energy. 

Last weekend I wore it in the rain for about an hour and it was soaked through.  It soaked up the water tenaciously and was heavy like a sponge.  I understand finishes wear out, but it's only been worn a handful of times.  I think it's too expensive for the lack of performance.  It would be great for taking to the movies and is like an overpriced hoodie. 

I called First Lite who claims they never would have recommended that and to buy their SEAK system for rain!  Sure, I'll just shell out another $700 dollars, thanks guys!

Also the hand pockets are not sewn but TAPED! and they fail causing valuable items to mysteriously disappear never to be found again.   I think a reviewer on the First Lite website articulated it pretty well(The seams on a Frito bag are tougher).

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
Ohh boy. Good thing I posted on HuntWA.  Appreciate the no-filter experiences and recommendations!  I just clicked "remove from cart".   Ok, so what's the jacket I need to look at? I'm not pro one material and against another. My budget is up to $150. I want something that fits well, as quiet as possible, water proof/breathable. Like I said, this will be used in Sept for Elk and then as late as November for Deer. Tell me what you'd buy!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
Your list of wants for $150 is a pretty tall order. I will agree tho to steer clear of that FL piece.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
In that price range, I would check with Cabelas, LL Bean, Costco, etc and find a gore tex shell and then just layer underneath.  I have one in dark green and another one in camo from when Russel used to make hunting stuff.  They pack light and add some warmth as well as keeping you dry.

Offline WildW00d

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 05:46:46 PM »
I'm glad to have seen this as well. I wonder if their workmanship travels through all their lines or just the guide jacket. I've personally only heard good things about FS, but really like the kuiu gear I got last christmas. The rain jacket I have was expensive, but isn't the warmest. However if you layer up you'll stay warm AND dry.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm glad to have seen this as well. I wonder if their workmanship travels through all their lines or just the guide jacket. I've personally only heard good things about FS, but really like the kuiu gear I got last christmas. The rain jacket I have was expensive, but isn't the warmest. However if you layer up you'll stay warm AND dry.
pretty much all of their outerwear.  Ive owned about all of it and use none of it these days. Most of my issues has been seams.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 06:03:10 PM »
I have several pieces, if you get one season you are lucky.

The only people I see are happy are also paid sponsors and they seem to be migrating away.

At one point, they were one of the few choices, today there are countless options that are better and a fraction if the cost.

Imagine if a Yeti cooler melted the first time you will understand FL.  Industry leading high price and Dollar Store quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
My experience is mostly base layers.  Bad seams, bad sewing, holes worn through shirts in two washings.  Bad return and warranty programs and now you can’t even rely on good distributors.

I threw in the towel when they said you couldn’t return a sale item even though there is no way to try it on before you buy.

I love merino and understand it isn’t chain mail.  Black Ovis is half the cost and is going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 06:18:32 PM »
As far as replacements, I really like the KUIU Chugach for layering, but it's basically double your price range.  Suggest waiting for a good sale (20% happens a couple times a year, usually father's day or other times in summer), or maybe going for a model that isn't so camo'd out.  There are plenty of good backpacking models you could get in forest green too (though also a little pricey)- and Stein's suggestions might be best given your price range.  Funny how there's a premium with anything in camo!

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
This is a pretty light weight piece fyi. Not worth the cash in my opinion.  Plus its FL so the stitching will come unraveled your first few trips out anyways  :chuckle:
:yeah: I want to love first light, and I did for a couple years, but just got tired of sending stuff back. They were great with customer service, thank god! But really disappointed in the quality, my expensive rain gear, pants and coat, bit came apart after only a couple uses. So far my kuiu gear has held up.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
All really good feedback. To be honest with myself, I might need to increase the budget in order to get something that will truly last some years. I don't know what to think when im looking at camo patterns..My mind chases the whole mentality of like Fly Fishing...Match the Hatch...Translating to camo pattern that matches our terrain. But then I see so many hunters wearing these different patterns, Pixel, kuius cow like style, etc...and even more so looking at hunters who don't even wear camo and show up in carhartts with a natural colored jacket and hat and get the job done.. maybe it depends more on how your hunting. All in all, I Don't need to look the TV part, but if the fancy gear keeps me comfortable, gets the job done and provides a solid warranty..im a buyer! I'll have to see what $300 gets me, and double my original thought

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal