collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterproof Glove Recommendations  (Read 4274 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Waterproof Glove Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »
First and foremost: your hands don't need to stay dry.  Keeping them perfectly dry is a fool's errand.

Your hands need to stay warm. So whatever you choose, make sure your hands can be warm even when, not if, water finds it way in.

It's also very important to remember that Gore-Tex, by nature, will not hold back water that's being pressed into it (like from your pack straps, hipbelt, whatever you're holding, etc. Gore-Tex is a magical material that I have lots of love for, but it is what it is. I have a pair of Eddie Bauer Powder Search gloves that do great.  They're new and still waterproof - even after about 5 hours of rain and high wind on Mt Rainier last week.  They did great in the snowstorm this weekend as well. 

Neoprene (a la the aforementioned SealSkin gloves) is a great option if you want something more durably waterproof.  I'm more and more a fan of the Outdoor Research waterproof glove liners: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/waterproof-liners-271558.  I wore these while hiking and doing camp chores and swapped to the Eddie Bauer gloves for glassing sessions.  I really enjoyed that combo. 

Also, don't limit yourself to the hunting brands.  There's absolutely no reason your gloves need to have camo or a Sitka label on them. 

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 07:25:44 AM »
As others mentioned, probably not the most comfortable but a PVC glove will keep the water out... But if your hands become inoperable after cold/wet sets in...Then worth a shot to try. I hunted with my buddy and his uncle for a number of years and the combination his uncle (also prone to numb fingers) used was a very thin cotton or nylon liner and then an Atlas Showa 620 series glove.  I used them while a commercial fisherman and they keep your hands away from the elements. You will sweat in them, but just throwing another option your way.
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:03 AM »
I'm more and more a fan of the Outdoor Research waterproof glove liners: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/waterproof-liners-271558

I'll have to give those a try.  I am a big fan of OR products/gloves.  I have a couple pairs of OR Windstopper/Gripper gloves that stay warm when wet, and I have a pair of OR mitten shells I wear if it is really bad out.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 08:10:46 AM »
I've enjoyed them.  They seam to be very similar to neoprene, just with (slightly? maybe?) better breathability.  They're soft all around so they certainly wouldn't last long being used as real work gloves. 

Offline Aginor

• Tracker
  • https://caltopo.com/m/B201
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
Avid backpacker here: I use the Showas all winter long. For $20, it blows my mind how much better they perform than any OR, Dakine, Carhartt, or other winter glove I’ve used. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 08:50:23 AM »
The grey Showas that have thermal insulation are great especially if you are going to have wet hands or handling nasty stuff as they are super easy to wash and dry.  That's one shortfall of the earlier ones I posted, they are hard to wash and dry the inside and you can't turn them inside out. 

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 09:21:25 AM »
I bought Kuiu Yukon gloves a few years ago and have zero complaints.  Try and get them on sale if you can, they are spendy.  I think I bought them as a christmas present for myself.  :chuckle:

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
Stein good follow up.... With these Showas, you can grab the cuff roll down to the fingers inside out, and then fold the cuff over itself creating a seal (or blow into it like a ballon), and squeeze really hard. The fingers will pop up and you can get them to dry in no time!  Peet Dryer works great too.

Offline Aginor

• Tracker
  • https://caltopo.com/m/B201
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »
They actually recently started making a model that has a cuff strap to help seal it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Stein good follow up.... With these Showas, you can grab the cuff roll down to the fingers inside out, and then fold the cuff over itself creating a seal (or blow into it like a ballon), and squeeze really hard. The fingers will pop up and you can get them to dry in no time!  Peet Dryer works great too.

I tried that with the first ones I posted and it didn't work.  So, I grabbed the compressor and figured that would blow them inside out and up to 50 psi no dice.  Maybe it's the brand I had, the rubber is too thick to get inside out and I don't think you could wash them right side out and get the soap and junk rinsed out of the fluffy liner.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 08:25:03 AM »
Interesting....Probably because of the material below the fingers.  Even with that compressor nothing huh? Not enough sealed area to give them a big ummpphfff... Yeah also rubber could be too thick. I've noticed that the nylon/cotton material which usually runs from the wrist to the knuckles is really hard to get smell out of....After I cleaned some ducks, they were rinsed, but sat in my harage for a day....Wheww, man I had to soak them in bleach for a couple days...but of course that then breaks down the material...

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
I have Raynaud's and keeping my hands warm and functional is a real struggle.  I can loose all circulation and feeling in my fingers and toes with even a slight chill.  I have gone through dozens of pairs of gloves to find one that will keep my hands warm, but the bottom line is that if you have circulation issues there is not a glove out there that will keep your hands warm (except maybe some of the battery powered heated gloves).  What I have found that works best are hand warmers.  Lots of hand warmers.  I open a pair before I leave in the morning and put one in each glove.  I have gotten used to functioning with the hand warmers in the palm of my hand inside my glove.  You can also switch them around and have them on the back of your hand but I don't think its as effective as trapping the heat on the palm side.  When it comes to really cold you can't beat mittens. A nice pair of lightweight gloves (I use merino wool liner gloves) inside of insulated mittens with a hand warmer or two in each glove is the way to go for real cold sits. 

As or waterproof gloves I recently got a pair of Sitka gore-tex gloves.  So far they have been good, but I haven't tested them in serious rain yet.  In heavy rain I find that my hands/gloves get more wet from the rain running down the sleeves of my rain jacket than anything else.  Making sure your rain jacket sleeves are all the way over your gloves and that your shirt sleeves are not getting wet are also keys to keeping hands dry.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 12:10:38 PM »
Yep handwarmers in really cold weather are great.  Wally World has fleece mittens with fold-over mitten over glove fingers and includes pocket for handwarmer packet.

On a quad I've even stuffed lil handwarmers in the thumb finger spot so throttle thumb doesn't freeze.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]