collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Everything else has went to crap this year. Why not deer camp too.  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Everything else has went to crap this year. Why not deer camp too.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
:chuckle: for being a winner I sure feel like a loser  :'(

If i behave myself the pins come out Nov 19th. Then I have 5 days to kill an idaho buck, a montana buck, and 3 montana doe's 😬

Think on the bright side, you wont have to kill them, with a bow!  :o

:chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »
:chuckle: for being a winner I sure feel like a loser  :'(

If i behave myself the pins come out Nov 19th. Then I have 5 days to kill an idaho buck, a montana buck, and 3 montana doe's 😬

Think on the bright side, you wont have to kill them, with a bow!  :o

:chuckle:
  :chuckle: I hate bow hunting anyways.  Gotta get all close and stuff
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »
My folks used to bring a camper to camp and we would sleep in the wall tent. Every year it got cold and everything in the camp r froze, the heater stopped working, they were miserable. They'd roll in to the tent to wake us up and warm up, my brother in law kept that tent at about 70* all night long. Have never felt the need for any kind of camper or RV myself. Even in the cold and wet. Sorry your season didn't go how you wanted, everyone's hunt and expectations are different, no shame in having a bad time. I'd chalk my first bear sighting to being a good experience though.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
OP wins valuable points with the wife though for including her in the family hunt and caring whether she was having a good time.

Hey Alchase! Would you have told your wife who has a migraine to go wrap a blue tarp around a couple of trees in 7 degree weather and do her business cuz thats hunting?  :tung:

Seriously though, I'm paranoid about the trailer freezing up. If its gonna get much below say 28, the trailer is just a warm shelter, poop and pee outside. And never leave the awning up over night if there is a chance of bad weather. Play it safe, bring it down.

I NEVER sleep well either on the first night of being ANYWHERE but my own bed, second night a little better and third night, as you did, I sleep well.
Thank you...... finally someone who "gets it".
It's not about proving who's the better prepared/bigger bada** that can tough it out. This hunt camp was about a family trip out hunting. And building good memories for my boys so they can maybe pass the fun and love of the outdoors on someday. But as soon as the wife got sick and things started to get less comfortable for them then it was time to go to not create sour memories. It wasn't a bear or wolves or the cold that ended our camp early. It was making sure my family would look back and have fond memories of the time we were there. Unfortunately.....some don't get that.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:26:52 AM by turkeyfeather »
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
Almost forgot.....
Came home to a couple large chunks of our maple tree laying in the front yard.
FU 2020

I live on the South Hill so... SAME HERE. lol. Sounds like a rough go, do you think you'll go back out?

I put in 11.5 miles in 137 before the storm, coulda filled a moose tag, couldn't find deer, and found that my planned camp location (pack in camp, pack out) was a 1.5 hour walk to water. So my camp was basically done before it started, at least until late season. :)
Yup...... we'll do day trips for late season.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Scott68

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2020, 11:46:51 PM »
Turkeyfeather ... I enjoyed your story.

You'll be telling that one, and so will your kids and your wife, for years to come.  Once the disappointment wears off, that will be a great family memory.

Most of my best memories of being on hunting trips with my family as a kid don't involve killing anything ... crazy camp stuff has always stuck with me just as strongly.

Good work being a good dad and husband.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »
Turkeyfeather ... I enjoyed your story.

You'll be telling that one, and so will your kids and your wife, for years to come.  Once the disappointment wears off, that will be a great family memory.

Most of my best memories of being on hunting trips with my family as a kid don't involve killing anything ... crazy camp stuff has always stuck with me just as strongly.

Good work being a good dad and husband.

Thank you sir  :tup:

Offline Turdle

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:49 AM »
Seems like when everything goes perfect and as planned, those times just kind of happened. But when the stuff hits the fan, and ya gotta do some improvising, and scramble.
Those are the Story's ya talk about years later. That hunting, camping trip from H...
We live, and hopefully Learn.   :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal