collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 21143 times)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »
In that Brackish water, things are going to get nasty.  I would strip the backstraps as is, knock off it's head, then get the guts out and cut it in half just back of the ribs..  Once cut in half, you might have a fighting chance to get it on dry ground with the hide on.  Pretty good chance your Elk burger is going to taste like Puddle Duck though.   

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
Since this is in the backcountry section, I'm assuming most won't be carrying a dog auger, but a tent stake or two per leg with some cordage might help you get it above the water line for butchering.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »
Well you are going to get wet either way.  I would go gutless but leave the hide on, and hack the upside front shoulder and hind quarter.  Flip it over and do the same.  Then it would be light enough to pull out.

Offline stigalla

• Hunter
  • open wounds are just extra pockets
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 04:50:55 PM »
Since this is in the backcountry section, I'm assuming most won't be carrying a dog auger, but a tent stake or two per leg with some cordage might help you get it above the water line for butchering.

see thats the thing... if youre in the back country thats exactly what you should have on you..an 8oz piece of steel that literally has a hundred uses in the field and in this case would save the meat youve tried so hard to obtain 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »
Well you are going to get wet either way.  I would go gutless but leave the hide on, and hack the upside front shoulder and hind quarter.  Flip it over and do the same.  Then it would be light enough to pull out.

I don’t mind getting wet.  I was a waterfowler and steelheader before I was a big game hunter.  I just don’t want that tasty elk meat getting nasty

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 06:35:23 PM »
I’ve never killed an elk so take this with a grain of salt, but is it really not possible to wrestle that thing out of there? I feel like, albeit a little at a time, I could eventually get it out of the swamp water. Call me crazy.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »
Is there any dry dirt behind him? looks like not but a little higher/drier ground. I'm gonna tie head off then roll the back end over. Tie back legs off and try to roll head and front over. Keep secure so it doesn't roll back in and to just get it up and not be standing knee deep in muddy hole. Next option is cutting pieces off until you can move him. Option 3 go for help. I've shot a couple in nasty spots and it all works out.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
If you can get the head tied off to something it seems you could pivot it out eventually. Specially if you can get a good stick for leverage.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
I’ve never killed an elk so take this with a grain of salt, but is it really not possible to wrestle that thing out of there? I feel like, albeit a little at a time, I could eventually get it out of the swamp water. Call me crazy.

Not with one guy.  Flipping an elk over on flat ground is a chore with one guy if you don't have something to tie off to.  Getting it up out of the water onto a higher bank would be impossible if you are talking about grabbing a leg and pulling.  It's like a 700 pound sandbag half filled with jello.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
Use a fulcrum, pretty simple task.  Enough to get him into butchering shape.   Little by little he gets lighter and lighter.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »

Additional scenario condition:  I'm not as strong as @jackelope  :P

Thanks for the responses guys.  I'm going to have to do some more reading on 3 point tie-ups and consider carrying a carabiner or two

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys.  I'm going to have to do some more reading on 3 point tie-ups and consider carrying a carabiner or two

Oh you probably are.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 12:01:21 PM »

Look up  “Truckers Hitch”. It’s a crude version of a block and tackle with nothing more than your rope. Throw a couple of these in on opposite sides and you will be amazed at what you can move.

Offline Moose Master

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »
All good ideas for moving a animal.  Might want to consider finding a hunting partner down the road if you're continuing to hunt the back country.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 08:23:29 AM »
DR Powerwagon...    :dunno: :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal