collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Road Hunters/Road-Hunting - does it spook deer? (new hunter)  (Read 5106 times)

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: Road Hunters/Road-Hunting - does it spook deer? (new hunter)
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
I know guys that are crazy successful road hunters.  Heck they sometimes have killed very nice animals.   The way I figure it.....to each their own.   I’m of the mindset that vehicles scare animals in different ways than foot traffic but both (all) styles of hunting spook animals .

I believe there is a time and place for it. This year, we "road" hunted to locate deer while glassing. We are glassing sometimes 2-3 miles away from where roads are. Rather than randomly hiking in. We also are hunting a "migratory" route for deer. A buddy of mine and I both shot a couple mashers 400 yards from each other and 200 yards from the road... Not my preferred style of hunting, but when the deer are moving, they are moving.

My preferred method is glass, hike, glass, hike, etc....but if you can do the glassing while in a warm truck (when it is 0 degrees outside), why not? I'm willing to try something new.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
I've seen a lot of critters while I've driven. It seems to affect elk and mature bucks the most.  :dunno: I'm old but can still put some miles on my boots. But once or twice during the season, if we aren't on anything, we'll take a ride in the truck with a hot cup of coffee. As long as it's legal and you have proper access, do your own thing. :dunno:. Just remember: tomorrow, you may be in a different physical condition than you are today. Change happens fast. Be careful about judging how people choose to hunt.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Aeron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
I don't care whether someone road hunts or what not.  This past week though, I have seen ten fold more hunters in my hunting area than I have seen in just the past five years of going in there.  The other night after dark, Thursday I believe, I came walking out from behind a gate and as I was packing up the truck (just gear, not a deer unfortunately), four separate parties of hunters in trucks were headed down the mainline.  When I drove off of the spur road to turn on the mainline, I am not kidding, a DOZEN rigs drove down the hill and three drove up the hill. I had to wait, like as if it were a damned stoplight! lol.
Previous years I have seen MAYBE one or two trucks in the area on a weekend. 
I don't know how many were road hunting, but I have no doubt that the traffic will have an impact on deer movement.  Due to the increased human presence in or out of vehicles, I have changed my plan drastically. Hiking further and deeper into the woods, and staying away on weekends. 
Part of the problem that I see is the increased number of locked and gated roads lately in this area.  There are a few ungated areas up this way, and it seems that everyone is focusing on those areas because the access is easy.  Two years ago this area i hunt was locked up at late buck, but I have been walking/biking in three to four miles on the road for access. As I get older, I will probably do less walking and more driving, but for now, I gotta get away from the crowds. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
The traffic outdoors has increased up to tenfold this year in some areas from my limited observation.   At one trailhead in Indian Heaven in the GP I counted 64 cars one day in September and these were mostly just hikers and some berry pickers.  Good to see the Country getting outdoors.    Same in Idaho - early season hunter numbers were most ever and makes it more important to get off the road.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »
Probably not going to make many friends but if you fall into this category not being a friend is no loss on my part.  Unless you are physically unable to traverse the terrain why don't you stay home and watch cartoons with the rest of the children in the family. To those that are proficient long time road hunters just shows you never took the time to learn how to actually hunt.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
Probably not going to make many friends but if you fall into this category not being a friend is no loss on my part.  Unless you are physically unable to traverse the terrain why don't you stay home and watch cartoons with the rest of the children in the family. To those that are proficient long time road hunters just shows you never took the time to learn how to actually hunt.

Jingles....I met you and thought our time BS'ing was great, you appeared to be a good guy.   With that said.....your comments on here are about as abrasive as 40 grit toilet paper!!!  They also come across as very uniformed and judgemental.  I will use me as an example.....I hunt all three disciplines (rifle, muzzy and archery).  I also hunt solo, with hunting partners and with my family.  Depending on the hunt, my time and who I am hunting with will dictate how I hunt.  I have been 20 miles deep on horseback in Idaho, I have been 10 miles deep on foot in Montana, I have roadhunted and I have sat on the porch of my cabin watching the food plot.  All of them were very valuable experiences that made memories that will last a lifetime.  Hell, some of my most memorable hunts have been with my young kids while sitting in a blind that we drove our side by side to.  If that makes me or anyone else less of a hunter, well so be it. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »

Jingles....I met you and thought our time BS'ing was great, you appeared to be a good guy.   With that said.....your comments on here are about as abrasive as 40 grit toilet paper!!!  They also come across as very uniformed and judgemental.  I will use me as an example.....I hunt all three disciplines (rifle, muzzy and archery).  I also hunt solo, with hunting partners and with my family.  Depending on the hunt, my time and who I am hunting with will dictate how I hunt.  I have been 20 miles deep on horseback in Idaho, I have been 10 miles deep on foot in Montana, I have roadhunted and I have sat on the porch of my cabin watching the food plot.  All of them were very valuable experiences that made memories that will last a lifetime.  Hell, some of my most memorable hunts have been with my young kids while sitting in a blind that we drove our side by side to.  If that makes me or anyone else less of a hunter, well so be it.

I was thinking 30grit but tomato tomato.

I think Jingles was getting after the "I only road hunt though I am completely capable crowd".

"To those that are proficient long time road hunters just shows you never took the time to learn how to actually hunt." Which isnt you Jrebel.

To each there own. I could never do it. Even Remy Warren would tell you at times he's road hunted. Again not the crowd I think Jingles was going after.

As to the OP's question.....

The deer are still there they just have moved away from the road. How many times have you heard the hunt from the trail head. I've been on hunts where I was glassing a hill for days. Moved to that hill and glassed to the hill I was on to find a dandy shooter bedded on the hill I was glassing from. Which happen to be the hill the trail was on....

Also liked the some spook to a vehicle some spook to foot traffic. Best way to hunt a turkey on private land is in a white t-shirt. What is the animal use to is the question and when that gets messed with thats when the animals get funky. If the road is open year round and gets traffic year round they are not going to give to S's if someone is road hunting it. Increase that traffic by 50-100% and sure they will notice and be more cautious which tends to be the case near an opener of any season.
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
have some spots i run near dirt roads for my aging dad.. has been a steady procession of road hunters for past 2 weekends from daylight to dark.. hard to get my 80YO father a place off the road to sit, not too far in but enough to get away from those real big game warriors!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
It only spooks them when you slid to a stop. Jump out and yell Deer!!!!!
Then slam the door to chase them.
Other than that they just stand and stare.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »

[/quote]

jrebel
In your response you clearly stated that road hunting isn't the only way you hunt and I am sure that it isn't and As I clearly stated "unless you are physically unable to traverse the terrain". personally I have no problem with those that are physically challenged in fact I have the utmost respect and admiration for those that are PHYSICALLY challenged and get out to enjoy the sport, however those that are NOT physically challenged and still spend more time in their vehicles instead of the actual woods because they are to lazy to get out and use some boot leather should as stated stay home and watch cartoons with the rest of the children
 Now let me explain why I feel this way If at 72 years of age and having overcome the affects of having polio I have no  sympathy or respect for those that are healthy and not had to overcome any type of physical debilitation that ride around in vehicles saying they are hunting.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 06:57:21 PM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 09:08:15 PM »

That's some funny stuff right there.  Some of the easiest deer I have ever shot have been far from any road.  And some of the toughest ones have been close to roads.  Those remote deer are relaxed and don't even know you are danger if they happen to see you. Some of them are curious of what the heck you are.  Those road deer know exactly what you are as they see people most every day so they are spookier. But they are there. 

I grew up hunting thick timber and some edges near the local power lines or a farmer's field. We were either still hunting or making drives to someone on a stand. Never even considered hunting a clearcut. What self respecting deer would be out in a clearcut was the thinking at the time. Then I started hunting with a girlfriend's dad when I was about 20 and he was a confirmed clearcut hunter and very good at it. It opened my eyes to new possibilities.  Later in life I hunted with a guy who had some physical disabilities and he mostly road hunted but would also glass a lot of clearcuts and occasionally would take a stand and I'd do pushes to him. He taught me a lot about road hunting. And there are definitely times when road hunting can be the most effective way to hunt depending on conditions. For one thing, you can cover a lot more ground than walking.

My favorite way to hunt is either still hunting or spot and stalk. But there are times when road hunting is just the ticket.  I'm not going to limit myself by being stuck on way way of hunting.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 11:20:27 PM »
 :beatdeadhorse:

Way off topic.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 05:29:39 AM »
what makes you say that :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »
Who gives a rip if people road hunt. They can knock themselves out.

That just means less people deeper in the woods where I wanna be.  :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 08:24:35 AM »
Who gives a rip if people road hunt. They can knock themselves out.

That just means less people deeper in the woods where I wanna be.  :)

Gary

:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]