collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hearing protection still hunting  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Hearing protection still hunting
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:30:27 AM »
I was wondering what people do about hearing protection while still hunting in the woods. I generally don’t wear any while I’m doing this kind of hunting as I use my ears to locate animals almost as much as my eyes. Shots tend to be fast without much time to prepare. I’ve thought about using a plug in my right ear but still seems to bug my hearing. Curious to hear what other think/do about this.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline h3x0ctb1n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, BHA, MDF
Re: Hearing protection still hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
I just got some electronic ear pro and am going to try wearing it while hunting, with the volume up. My hope is that the microphones aren't skewed more in one direction, although testing them out at home, it seems like they are.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
I have a pair of quality electronic in ear pieces, they help alot. I have tinnitus bad from an antelope hunt 10 years ago, so I dont shoot unless Im wearing something..   :dunno:

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
Yeah I’m starting to develop tinnitus in my right ear so I need to do something! Do you guys feel you can hear as well or at least almost as well with the electronic ear pieces? Thank for the input and I’ll look at some of those earpieces.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
Yeah I’m starting to develop tinnitus in my right ear so I need to do something! Do you guys feel you can hear as well or at least almost as well with the electronic ear pieces? Thank for the input and I’ll look at some of those earpieces.

Initially they are kind of weird, I dont think anything is as good as open ears for hearing what direction things are, but you can turn up the electronic ones to actually hear better if you want to.  Id rather not shoot something, than be def, Or have this stupid tinnitus!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
I have electronic muffs and I can hear as good, if not better than with them off.  I don't notice not being able to hear in certain directions, I would invest in a quality pair if hearing well is important.  I wear them all day and after a bit you don't even notice you have them on.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
I have electronic muffs and I can hear as good, if not better than with them off.  I don't notice not being able to hear in certain directions, I would invest in a quality pair if hearing well is important.  I wear them all day and after a bit you don't even notice you have them on.

:yeah:  They aren't good for detecting direction of sound like a bugle but at least you hear it !

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
I've used variations of these while hunting antelope as I typically have time to insert them before shooting.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018340972?pid=458999

For still hunting the electronic muffs are a good way to go. You can hear as well or better and they protect your hearing. Walker Game Ears are another option.

Tinnitus is just the start. Hearing loss is permanent.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »
The other option would be to have muffs on your head but not your ear, I used to do this and still do if my kids are using the good pair.  You can slide them over your ear in under a second, way faster than plugs.

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys!! Prob too late for this season but I will be investing in something over this winter. Between screaming children, power equipment, and shooting im starting to worry about my hearing in the future. I like the idea of the electronic muffs and will try to hunt with the muffs on my head for the remainder of this season. I find that the my shooting window here on the wetside is generally very small and i tend to try and react very fast in order to maximize the time i have to get a shot opportunity. Thanks for the ideas!!!

Offline Caz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »
The other option would be to have muffs on your head but not your ear, I used to do this and still do if my kids are using the good pair.  You can slide them over your ear in under a second, way faster than plugs.

Were you ever a dj? lol.

OP, I don't use ear pro while hunting (except for waterfowl and upland), because I've already shot up my ears, and tinnitus is an old friend. Ear pro screws up my ability to identify sounds and where it came from. However, when it's cold, I do what Stein mentioned here.

Ear muffs, just off the ear, a little brush zip tied to them to break up silhouette and look really awesome. if I have a chance, I slip at least one on if not both while getting ready to shoot.

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »
I’ve been considering some of the electronic muffs. My hearing is pretty much shot thanks to the Ma Duece, no pun intended. I wear the electronic muffs at the range and they sure seem to help me hear things that otherwise I wouldn’t be able to hear. The Tinnitus is pretty severe in both ears so the quiet sounds and faint bugles are pretty much covered by the ringing :bash:

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »
I know all about ringing ears as well. Military, guns, helicopters.... it all adds up

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
I know all about ringing ears as well. Military, guns, helicopters.... it all adds up

😂  :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw