collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wenaha West Help  (Read 18353 times)

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Wenaha West Help
« on: October 27, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
Anyone been in the Unit Deer hunting or F ing around that has seen a big bull?  I have a buddy with the Rifle elk tag and he said he hasnt saw much for elk, sounds like the wolfs are exploding in there, he was there the entire deer season scouting and only saw wolfes...   If anyone has a hot tip on a bull in the West im sure he would love to kill it..    Thanks

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:25:02 AM by Elkpiss »
Their going down!!!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Wenaha West
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »
PM responses are probably a good idea for this one.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:15:48 AM »

Thats what im assuming i would get back,   my buddy is a good hunter just not seeing the bulls that you might usually see in the Blues.. Sounds like Wolves are getting populated, between them and the Native hunts the blues sounds like its on the Major Decline....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 08:26:02 AM by Elkpiss »
Their going down!!!

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
Re: Wenaha West Help
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 09:03:56 AM »
It is very sad what has happened in the Blues.
If it flies it dies.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »

Thats what im assuming i would get back,   my buddy is a good hunter just not seeing the bulls that you might usually see in the Blues.. Sounds like Wolves are getting populated, between them and the Native hunts the blues sounds like its on the Major Decline....

I had the Dayton Quality tag last year and it is BAD!!!  Herds have been desimated and calf survival the two previous years has been minimal to none.  Good luck!
Zonk Volmer

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
Guys that hunt reasonably hard in the blues get what they deserve. If you want it on a platter that was 10 years ago. Keep the faith and your nose to the grindstone and your bud will get it done!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »
You need a 700-1000 yd rifle to have a chance at the few left.   They hang 3/4 down the canyon and no way to see them when you get down there.    If you can shoot that far you have a chance....

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
Guys that hunt reasonably hard in the blues get what they deserve. If you want it on a platter that was 10 years ago. Keep the faith and your nose to the grindstone and your bud will get it done!!

talk to him yesterday, sounds like all the tag holders are having a tough time.   Not sure if it was Mt Cook or Beau he talked to but he said a outfitter and there are only 2 in the unit said they have seen 4 elk and 17 wolfs.  that doesnt sound good...   :yike:
Their going down!!!

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
You need a 700-1000 yd rifle to have a chance at the few left.   They hang 3/4 down the canyon and no way to see them when you get down there.    If you can shoot that far you have a chance....

thats what he said he saw a decent bull the only bull he has saw and thought he might shoot it but couldnt get close enough.   
Their going down!!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »
Its a relatively small area, with confirmed 5 packs overlapping the middle of the blues the wolf density has to be about the highest it can be.   

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:44 AM »
Funny...that’s what a camp told me last year before they went home for opening weekend because it had snowed. Also about 24 hours before I had 5 bulls at under 100yds**

** I didn’t range em so maybe what I thought was like 65 yards was really 950...  :dunno::dunno:

It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
Theyre there Sawtooth, buck ridge, squaw peak, dexter ridge.  Dive off the ridges to the bottom and stay in there and you will find a good one.  Those elk are living in the bottom 1/4.  I would spike in and stay spend your energy down low glassing the ridges.  pm me for questions. :twocents:

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
Heya -

Through scrubbing HuntWA posts, it seems like you know the area. Any 411 would be greatly appreciated.

I'm jumping in somewhat cold to 346 for spike elk next week with a buddy, his kid & father. My buddy has hunted but not harvested an elk before and his father won't venture out much past the lower meadows. He's camped in the area for years so knows it and has seen plenty of cow, but few spikes. We're staying at Union Creek campground.

I have a few places to look into but everything has been found via forums, onX, Google Earth & GoHunt... The weather wouldn't appear to have pushed the elk to lower elevations yet so assume they're still up high, yeah? What about high camps - I've read a few outfitters sometimes run drop camps moving the elk around a bit/

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 03:26:13 PM »
I wouldnt waste my time for spikes in there.  That would be like killing a unicorn.Lol. I spent a bunch of time and miles in there i would focus on spikes in the Dayton if possible.  Although i did see one my partner and i laughed and thought we won the lottery. 

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 03:32:06 PM »
I wouldnt waste my time for spikes in there.  That would be like killing a unicorn.Lol. I spent a bunch of time and miles in there i would focus on spikes in the Dayton if possible.  Although i did see one my partner and i laughed and thought we won the lottery.
Pardon me sir, but the proper term is "double unicorn"  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal