collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late season bull moose advice  (Read 1725 times)

Offline mossyhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Late season bull moose advice
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:57:27 AM »
I am looking for any hints and tips for late season moose in Unit 113. My son and I will be hunting November 7-15 and know very little about the moose habits in the late season. my thoughts are to get into open areas and glass instead of the run and call early season method......thoughts?

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Late season bull moose advice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:36:20 PM »
I am looking for any hints and tips for late season moose in Unit 113. My son and I will be hunting November 7-15 and know very little about the moose habits in the late season. my thoughts are to get into open areas and glass instead of the run and call early season method......thoughts?
drive glass drive glass. Cover a lot of ground!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »
And when he says a lot he means a lot of ground !! They stick out like a sore thumb

Offline Caseknife

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:09:14 AM »
Look for older harvested units that have willows/alders/aspens that are in the 5-10 feet age class.  Moose are big animals that need a lot of food to sustain them.  Then find a hillside where you can look across into said cut unit, moose are easy to see when the leaves are off, even at very long distances.  Ground level your visibility is limited but looking into it from a higher viewpoint makes it much easier.  Then you just have to find how to get to them.  Don't be afraid to shoot them away from the road or down hill.  Yes they are big, but this time of year you have lots of time and just have to cut them into smaller pieces.  I don't care how tough you are, you are not going to pack out a moose quarter by yourself.  Have fun.

Offline mossyhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »
I am very familiar with the driving all over part ...lol.
We put over 2000 miles on 10 days during the early season. Thanks for all of the advice!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal