collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Jim Shockey's GOLD!!! To All The Haters.....  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
Jim Shockey's GOLD!!! To All The Haters.....
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
So much hate going around about American Pioneer Powder Company and negative comments about this black powder substitute. Just wanted to share some range day fun with 10 year old (yes TEN years) Jim Shockey's Gold APP sticks that I ran through the ole Wolverine yesterday. To all the crap talkers that say this powder disintegrates with a fart in the wind;  I had this stuff unsealed sitting in my non-climate control shop through 10 of some of the worst winters in Washington state and it still shot great! Cleanest burning BP substitute I've ever used, tack driver consistency. One swab with some T/C bore cleaner and barrel like new again. Tried calling the company but the mailbox was full. I hope that they are still in business and would be happy to pick up some more if anybody knows of any local PNW sellers (darn Hazmat fees!). I think that they got an unfair shake with all the so-called "experts" throwing shade on their product (obviously sponsored by Hodgdon) and deserve a second look!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:30:56 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
Re: Jim Shockey's GOLD!!! To All The Haters.....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
Attn: moderators - Don't know why this was moved to Guns and Ammo? :dunno: This thread belongs in the Campfire - I am sharing a photo of a fun day at the range and  stating my opinion regarding the bad press received by the American Pioneer powder company. Not a tech thread... Thanks Cal.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:13:30 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
If we moved a thread to its proper location within the forum it is because we thought it had some value, it could help someone else down the road with a bit of knowledge otherwise hard to find,  it would pop up in a search.

It has its place.

You are saying this thread has no archival merit, that it is just idle banter, that it won't serve any purpose once it hits page 2 on virtual campfire, where no one will see it again.

So be it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Shockeys gold is a fine product  :tup:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
If we moved a thread to its proper location within the forum it is because we thought it had some value, it could help someone else down the road with a bit of knowledge otherwise hard to find,  it would pop up in a search.

It has its place.

You are saying this thread has no archival merit, that it is just idle banter, that it won't serve any purpose once it hits page 2 on virtual campfire, where no one will see it again.

So be it.

Least it didn't get moved to jokes.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »
You are very intuitive sir

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 06:59:24 PM »
I've shot about 50lb of the stuff and still would if it was around.  The sticks truly were inconsistent garbage though.

This whole thread seems incredibly pointless :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Keeping black powder substitute “unsealed” for 10 years.... what does that mean?  Lid was cracked open and then closed or lid was left off for 10 years?   Curious if it can stand up to that?

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 08:25:46 PM »

It has its place.

So be it.

You gotta be kidding me? So talk around the campfire has to have “archival merit?“ Geez you wouldn’t be very fun to camp with.  :chuckle:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
I posted a human interest story about an an apparently struggling powder company and talked about my experiences with the use of that powder. A perfect fit for any campfire discussion.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 08:39:42 PM »
We could move it to the black powder forum. Or the muzzleloader forum. Maybe that’s more fitting. You’re talking about guns and ammo, this board also seems fitting. The Virtual Campfire is not the right board for this thread.

:twocents:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
OK but neither do those other threads about boots and generators and shotguns for sale.I guess I’m just feeling singled out here?

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:14 PM »
Your not being singled out. Threads get moved all the time. When someone is searching for an answer, they typically go yo a specific subforum, such as guns or gear. This has good merit to be where it was moved.

Also, its the internet, try to not let it get under your skin!!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
You feel singled out because a gun topic got put in the gun section where its more likely to be seen since you have to opt into virtual campfire and many aren't  :dunno: if anything the mods blew some life into it by moving it :twocents:

And once again its kind of pointless since nobody has been hating on JSG because it hasn't been available for purchase in a good while. And even if it was, I think most don't put much stock into opinions of shooters with 10 year old powder  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »
You feel singled out because a gun topic got put in the gun section where its more likely to be seen since you have to opt into virtual campfire and many aren't  :dunno: if anything the mods blew some life into it by moving it :twocents:

And once again its kind of pointless since nobody has been hating on JSG because it hasn't been available for purchase in a good while. And even if it was, I think most don't put much stock into opinions of shooters with 10 year old powder  :chuckle:
Exactly my point why it should be in the campfire! You seriously don’t talk about stuff like this when you’re up at hunting camp around the fire? I guess I’ve been chewing the rag around some WAY different hunting campfires than the ones you’re used to! Who keeps the black book in your camp to make sure that everyone’s conversations are of archival merit?  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]