collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: idaho 2020, looking for input  (Read 6480 times)

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
idaho 2020, looking for input
« on: October 29, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
so my dad and i are headed over in a few weeks for deer. we will be hunting unit one on the east end of the unit. i called idaho fng but was given the busy tone and told to call back but maybe some of you regulars from over there can answer a few of my questions. we will be getting there around the 18th of nov and staying for a week or so.

camping: what are the restrictions? are we allowed to camp on state land? nf land? what about timber co land? do we have to have a permit for access there to hunt and/or camp?

wolf situation: we both have wolf tags and would gladly put the smack down on a few, but what is the reality of actually running into them? again, we will be in the east/south east part of unit one.

bears:my dad is concerned we will run into grizzlies but i assured him the likelihood is very slim, even if it werent the beginning of winter. any thoughts here?

timberland properties: do we need permits to access to camp/hunt on these properties? there are numerous companies in the area we want to target and i just want to verify we will be ok throughout the hunt. we have onx so we can mind our ps and qs, no issues.

deer population: anyone know what to somewhat expect? without giving away too much info on where we are hunting, just curious to see if anyone else has experience in the area and first hand knowledge.

we are going somewhat blind, as far as active boots on the ground, but i think with our experience we will be fine. just had a few questions that some of you might be able to answer. if youre not 100% sure, thats fine, ill make another attempt at calling over and getting more clarity if need be. i know its getting pretty close to time for me to be asking these things, but they were last minute thoughts i had. thanks for any replies. if youd prefer to pm and discuss, thats fine with me. not looking for spots as we already have a pretty good idea of where we are going to start.

thanks ghk

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: idaho 2020, looking for input
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
Odds of griz and wolves is very very low.

This isn't washington so state or NF is good to go for camping.

Deer populations are stable. You'll find something to shoot at im sure. Its also not Montana so keep optimism at an acceptable level.

As for timber company properties, I can't answer that.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
You can camp most anywhere on public lands where there is room.

There are plenty of wolves but they are exceedingly wise and rare to see.

The griz are more likely seen in remote areas, stay closer to humans to avoid them plus there are higher deer numbers close to humans.

Deer numbers are down compared to a few years ago just like they are in NE WA but there is still fairly good hunting to be had.

Inland Paper is the only company I know of to require permits.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Potlatch requires a permit to camp and ride quads but it's open to walk in hunting.  Plenty of FS land to camp on though.

Everything else has been covered.

I cut wolf, cougar and grizz tracks every trip into the country, but they are rarley seen.

Don't pass on legal deer unless your trophy hunting. They are pretty skittish up there.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
thanks for the replies so far guys. we are targeting whitetail, no need for those stinky md to muck up my freezer  :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
I'm surprised wolves are so rare there, I run into them about 3 out of 4 years in MT.  They must get shot at much more often there.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
I seen 3 wolves Idaho Potlatch land.

2 were together and were running full tilt early in the morning, seen for like half a second - no shot possibility at all, they hit the timber.

The other was at night heading back to camp, I have bright led spotlights above the cab and seen the wolf 400 yards out in a clearcut running like crazy.

Watching that wolf cover that clearcut, at night, where it's difficult and slow for me to walk in the daylight, was impressive.

Wasn't sure I could shoot at night, so didn't think about it (not that I had a shot anyways it was too far out and moving too fast)

I need to read up on night hunting rules for ID predators.

They are *very* wary, nothing like WA wolves that'll sit and look at you...ID wolves have been well trained!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
Be prepared to be passed by quads or side by sides when walking behind gated roads. Even gates that are posted for non-motorized use have trails around them. Gets a little frustrating at times.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I’m not worried about guys riding past. They won’t be in the same spots I’ll be, or at least getting to. If so, lots of area. I hear what you’re saying and will plan accordingly.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »
Be prepared to be passed by quads or side by sides when walking behind gated roads. Even gates that are posted for non-motorized use have trails around them. Gets a little frustrating at times.

That's because it's perfectly legal on most gated roads.  Don't think I've seen a gated road posted closed to ATVs.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:53 PM »
So I am hunting idaho here the week before Thanksgiving,  some private timber lands post their roads as walk in only even if there is not a gate. So I will be abiding by those rules even if others don't.
 I'll be hunting unit 5, and have talked to the fng person for that unit. Best of luck to you.

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »

That's because it's perfectly legal on most gated roads.  Don't think I've seen a gated road posted closed to ATVs.
Not on National Forest land, a gated road means it is closed to all motorized travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
I was just in central Idaho last week and there were many gated roads marked as no vehicles, atv’s, or motorcycles. Some of them had a “Restricted Access” sign, some had the placards showing what was and was not allowed, and some were just green gates. We were in national forest but it did look like snowmobiles were allowed on some of them whereas atvs were not

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »

Gated roads don’t have to be posted to be closed to ATV use. It varies by timber company whether or not they’re allowed.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 05:25:57 PM »
We’re all leg powered machines so I’m not worried about any of the atv stuff. I won’t let that dictate my hunt or deter me from going about my planned out hunts. I’ve killed animals those guys have driven right by, so it’s no different to me than any other obstacle I might encounter. Thanks for all the good replies so far though. Keep it coming.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]