collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 shots, 3 kills  (Read 5887 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
3 shots, 3 kills
« on: October 31, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »
I started this season with a fair amount of work put into developing a new load for my rifle. By mid-September, I had it as dialed as could possibly be. The most accurate round I’ve ever worked up for that particular rifle. I entered the season with complete confidence in my weapon.

My first hunt was in Idaho. I arrived on October 14, the day before the elk opener. My group and I spiked out several miles into a big basin with high hopes of finding deer and elk in the area. Opening morning, Thursday the 15th, under a snowy sky, I loaded four shells into my rifle. Day one should have been a day of plenty for me, but I passed on animals I should not have and made poor decisions while pursuing others. I ended the day without firing a shot. Two others in our group shot bucks that day though.

Day 2 I was fortunate enough to make one well placed shot at 272 yards on an average 4-point buck. My uncle was also able to make a good shot on a buck that day, filling out the groups four deer tags in 2 days.

While packing out on day 3, I spotted a herd of elk below the trail. WAY below the trail. I made a good stalk on the herd that had 4 bulls and a spike in it. When I got to my shooting position, 220 yards out, I could only see the spike bedded facing away from me. The bulls had bedded down in the patch of timber just up from him and I could not see them, and I was out of options for moving around. After about 20 minutes laying there, the wind began to swirl, and I was nervous the whole group would wind me and be gone without a shot opportunity. I decided in that moment that 150# of spike elk meat was better than watching antlers run off through the trees, so I got settled in, and took aim at the only vital area I had. With the rifle on my bipod, and the butt of the stock on my binoculars, I had a rock solid rest and the crosshairs sat unwavering at the base of spikes head, right where it meets the neck. I squeezed through the trigger break, and when the scope dropped back onto the animal after the shot, the only thing different was that his head was now laying on the ground in front of him.

The rest of that day, and the following day were spent getting all of our meat out to the truck. In that time, I thought how nice it would be to round out my season at home with a blacktail, using just the 2 shells that remained in my rifle. Obviously, I did not drive around for 2 weeks with shells in my rifle, but I kept those two shells separate.

Finally, yesterday, a friend and I hiked into a series of good clear cuts and hunted all day, seeing no animals, and very little sign. As evening approached, I was losing confidence that we would see anything that day. While still hunting up the edge of a clear cut, I saw a doe get up about 100 yards out and move into the timber. I had a sense that she wasn’t alone, and I know that blacktail bucks will often stay put to let the threat walk by rather than exposing themselves. I decided that I was going to find that buck and shoot him.

Over the next 10-15 minutes, I moved ever so slowly. A couple of feet at a time. I’d spend the next full minute or two, glassing ahead near where the doe had been. Picking each stump, bush and tree apart looking for any sign of a deer. I took 2 more steps, pulled my binos up and started scanning again. Finally, I’d moved far enough to the right, and there he was. I could see his white face and ears partially screened behind a small fir tree, staring right at me. I could tell that he was a small buck, antlers sticking straight up in the air. Either a spike or forkie. I had told myself I wasn’t going to shoot a small buck as I had lots of meat in the freezer already, but this was a fun hunt, and it felt right. The only shot I had was at his neck, so I settled in and got my rifle on my shooting sticks. The buck’s confidence in his camouflage was his downfall, as he sat there and stared at me from 70 yards away. I took careful aim at his throat patch and squeezed through the trigger break for the third time this year. At the shot, he disappeared. I ripped out my ear plugs, and pulled up my binos, looking and listening for any sign of a fleeing animal. Silence was what I was greeted with. I took a straight-line course to where he had been and found him laying right where he’d been standing. The bullet had found its mark, slightly off, but lethal none the less.

I pulled the bullets from my rifle, handling the one leftover shell for the season. 3 shots, 3 kills. My friend and I worked up the buck, skinning him out fully to get the hide tanned, split the load, and hit the trail out to the truck. We had a great nonstop conversation while walking under the nearly full moon. It was a great way to end the season.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: 3 shots, 3 kills
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Outstanding

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
Outstanding

Hey you helped with the range day early on and some of your reloading equipment, so thank you H2O!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
That rifle owed you big time for your patience.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »
Congrats!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
I'm glad you had an amazing season. Congratulations.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline shootem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 01:06:08 PM »
What a great year. Congrats!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 02:25:05 PM »
ery cool.

Great write up.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »
Helluva year 7mmfan!  Thanks for sharing

:tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline kukusya

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 04:26:36 PM »
That’s awesome! Congrats!!!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 04:27:24 PM »
Awesome shooting and season!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 06:56:02 PM »
Tell us about the rifle and load
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
high fives!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 08:23:10 PM »
Right on!
IAFF #3728

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer