collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kodiak Canvas 12x12 Cabin Lodge tent?  (Read 9128 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Kodiak Canvas 12x12 Cabin Lodge tent?
« on: November 04, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Does anyone own the Kodiak 12x12 Cabin Lodge tent??
I'm thinking of investing in a good quality tent for hunting and family camping, and I definitely want canvas.  Just not sure if I want this style tent or a traditional wall tent. I'm mostly sure I only want room for 2 with a stove, so this one would cut it. If I went with a traditional wall tent, I'd probably go 12x14.  These style tents are all new to me. I've never had a "quality" canvas tent before, so I'm learning as I go.
Also what style woodstove would be the recommended stove for a setup like this? It has a stove jack for a 5" pipe.

If I went with the Kodiak tent, I'd probably eventually get the enclosed awning as well.

Thanks in advance.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Kodiak Canvas 12x12 Cabin Lodge tent?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
I have both a 15x18 wall tent, as well as a 9x12 KC Cabin Tent with attached awning on front. With an additional 3' of width, you would love lots of room for 2 guys and a stove, especially if you did your cooking out in the awning.

The biggest difference I see between a KC and a true wall tent is:

1. Frame
2. Floor

The KC cabin tent frames are solid, and I've seen videos of them with heavy snow loads, but my guess would be that long term, with winter use and frequent exposure to water/snow, they won't hold up as well as a wall tent with an internal frame. Internal frames also add options like metal for magnetic lights, close lines, gear storage, etc... Tarping it so snow can slide off easier would improve longevity.

Is a floor important to you? The floors in the KC tents are heavy duty, and floors are nice, but I find for hunting camps that floors, at least integrated floors that can't be removed, become more of a hindrance than a benefit.

The 12x12 with awning is going to weigh nearly as much as a wall tent will, so you won't have significant weight or space savings going with one or the other.

Any medium size cylinder stove will work for that space. We have a large cylinder stove for our 15x18 Davis Tent and it will cook you out if you let it.

Lastly, and this applies to both tents, do you have the space to properly clean/dry a canvas tent after use? If you put either away with even a little bit of moisture in them, they will mildew, and eventually rot. I've seen some sorry looking tents that are only a couple years old. Ours is nearly 20 and looks almost as good as the day we got it.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
I'll add that I think a wall tent makes an excellent family camping tent, but women like floors. At least mine does. She also loves the awning with bug mesh so we aren't either in the tent, or out of the tent. Can have a space to be outside without a separate pop up or the like. :twocents:

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »
The floor thing can be solved. We use a large tarp in our wall tent. Keeps you out of the mud and as long as you remember a broom, you can keep it fairly clean. Plus side is that it isn't attached so you could shake it out if needed as well.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »
The floor thing can be solved. We use a large tarp in our wall tent. Keeps you out of the mud and as long as you remember a broom, you can keep it fairly clean. Plus side is that it isn't attached so you could shake it out if needed as well.

Yep, that’s what we do.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
That is the solution if a floor is required. That's what we often do as well, even put carpets down on it if it's cold. My wife was not raised a camper though, so a tent that "critters" can find their way into isn't ideal for family camping trips.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
I was wondering if you guys would think of the floor as a major deciding factor. My wife and kid will definitely prefer a floor, but I think the sealed up aspect of that would really be the factor. Not sure they'd be good with the open walls at the bottom. Not so much they have something to walk on other than dirt as it is something to keep mice, etc out, even though it's not a 100% thing. It's a psychological thing at that point too.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
Maybe the KK tent with a cut to fit chunk of outdoor carpet or astro turf to protect the floor.

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
As far as my mentality, our newer Davis Tent has a pretty good sod cloth that we put underneath the legs of the frame. It creates a pretty good seal on the ground. It is not perfect, and some critters could get in, but I haven't experienced any mice getting in that I can remember. It doesn't bother me at all but would likely bug my wife at least a little.

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
We, me and hunting buddy each have the 10 x 14 Kodiak canvas tents and love them for short trips 3 or 4 day, we also have a 12 x 12 and a 12 x 16 wall tent, in the wall tents we put a heavy duty tarp down and put indoor outdoor carpet on top and makes a great floor. Every so often we get new carpet. We set up a pop-up awning in front of wall tent and wrap 2 sides with clear tarp and this is where we store most extra gear and keep extra wood for stove dry. If I were going to get a new tent it would be a wall tent hands down... just my  :twocents: For longevity mostly...
elkaholic

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Maybe the KK tent with a cut to fit chunk of outdoor carpet or astro turf to protect the floor.

I would probably put something under the floor to protect it from rocks, sticks, roots, etc... more than anything that is in the tent. Their floors are pretty heavy duty. If you doubled up, inside and out, then you would be bullet proof.

Oh, and mice definitely get in wall tents. I've killed more than a few.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
I started out with a external frame canvas tents with sew in floor years ago. They served me well. However if I I were buying today I would buy a traditional wall tent. I have two now. 10x12. One is from the tent shop , door both ends and windows each side. Angles and conduit frame. 12 0z duck.

The other is same size one door, one window in back and 10 oz duck. From reliable Tent and Awning. Aluminum frame.

I bought the tent shop tent used form a friend.

If I were buying new today I would buy another Reliable Tent and Awning tent. I find myself grabbing that tent more than the other four short trips. Because the canvas is 100 lbs lighter. The frame is 50 lbs lighter. And I don't like the 2nd door because it just doesn't seal up like a solid wall. Its every bit as warm as the Tent Shop tent and just easier to deal with.
It came with a snap in floor.  :tup:

Tent on left from Tent Shop. Reliable Tent on Right.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:24:16 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »
If it was just me and just a hunting tent, I’d be all over the old school wall tent thing. I just know that the wife and daughter won’t be ok with the floorless tent due to the open-ness around the bottom. Thanks for all the thoughts though. Appreciate it. 

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 07:55:43 PM »
I use a wall tent, always put a tarp down with a carpet rolled out everywhere we walk inside the tent. I personally like it that way and if I had a tent that had a built in floor I would still use a carpet, because you can easily clean it and replace it if needed.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
If mice want in they’ll come in, no floor type  will keep them out.

We have two spots we camp at depending on weather, one is lower in elevation and the mice are relentless, the higher camp we have no problems with mice.

The only thing I can see that causes the difference is at high camp there’s lots of old logs for mice to live in, low camp is void of such stuff. :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 08:11:26 PM »
If it was just me and just a hunting tent, I’d be all over the old school wall tent thing. I just know that the wife and daughter won’t be ok with the floorless tent due to the open-ness around the bottom. Thanks for all the thoughts though. Appreciate it.

Yah, hard to get them over fear of rodents. I gotta admit, my wall tent is a 14x16 with a tarp for a floor. And one of the first times I used it, we got a few mice in the tent. I can't say as I blame them though. We were hunting up the Salmon River out of Riggins, Idaho in the Dec muzzle loader season for elk and that particular year we got hit by an unusual cold spell. Was -3 degrees at one point and I think the mice were just looking for a warm place to hang out. I did get some funny pictures of a couple of them eating a candy bar that ended up on the floor and one was hiding in my buddy's boot. One of them actually hopped up on my buddy's bed and ran over the top of him in his sleeping bag. lol
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 09:57:06 PM »
I used to backpack with a floorless shelter and I’ll be honest I didn’t like waking up with mice scurrying around my head. It wouldn’t bother me on a cot in a tent.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 10:04:15 PM »
I used to backpack with a floorless shelter and I’ll be honest I didn’t like waking up with mice scurrying around my head. It wouldn’t bother me on a cot in a tent.

Yeah got to try peppermint oil.

I am on the third year using it and never had a mouse in a tent. I know they are there because I use bucket traps around the cook shack just 50 feet away. Caught 20 mice this year. But not one in the tent.
Peppermint oil on cotton balls once a week around the outside of tent ,three balls per side.

10 bucks a bottle. Three drops per ball. I put the balls and oil in a gallon zip lock. When I empty a bottle I throw it in the bag too. The cotton will pick up the Oder.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 10:17:57 PM by ghosthunter »

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

My son just bought a Kodak Grand  Cabin for his family of five. It’s giant.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »
Josh,

I bought a flexbow 10x14 last year and its nice. You are welcome to use it any time you want
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 11:33:00 AM »
flexbow is the way to go, buddy has one and loves it.  I'm gonna get one this year too. 

I don't want a stove though, gonna use a portable diesel tent heater in a box.   

The more time I have to dink around chopping wood the less time I have to hunt.   

flip a switch, hot.  and no burnt holes in the tent from embers

Or maybe I'll just use a genny and a small electric heater

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »
flexbow is the way to go, buddy has one and loves it.  I'm gonna get one this year too. 

I don't want a stove though, gonna use a portable diesel tent heater in a box.   

The more time I have to dink around chopping wood the less time I have to hunt.   

flip a switch, hot.  and no burnt holes in the tent from embers

Or maybe I'll just use a genny and a small electric heater

we run a buddy heater in ours with a long hose that runs out to the propane tank outside. Even on low, it only takes a couple minutes to warm the tent right up.

One of my favorite parts about it is how easy it is to set up. I can get mine done in under 5 minutes

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 11:46:37 AM »
Ya I got a mr buddy,  I was thinking winter camping running it up behind a snowmobile on a toboggan for ID wolf hunts

think in the winter running a mr buddy all night might get moisture too much?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Ya I got a mr buddy,  I was thinking winter camping running it up behind a snowmobile on a toboggan for ID wolf hunts

think in the winter running a mr buddy all night might get moisture too much?

We ran ours multiple nights in the rain and never had a moisture issue inside. We just kept the vents open on each end

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
If you are buying canvas, Eena tents in Oregon uses marine duck canvas. Not all manufacturers do, it is a good question to ask. We have a 12 x12 and a 14 x 17. The smaller one is ok for 2 guys but the big one is perfect and can do 3 ok also. A front porch frame and cover is a great add on also. We still tarp over. After last fall, over the top tie-downs are a must. Wasn't aware a well staked down 14 x 17 tent could fly, should have known better!

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 02:15:26 PM »
Jackelope- I have the 12'x12' Kodiak Cabin Lodge tent and its awesome.  The floor is top notch a very strong rubber material and well worth it! It would take some effort in putting a whole through it.  I put down moving blankets inside on the floor to make it more comfortable and helps keep the floor dry in wet and snowy conditions coming in and out.

I was in it for 8 days straight this year during my Idaho hunt. It snowed, rained, and stormed everyday we were there and the tent help up great and never leaked. I didn't use a tarp on top, it was  just the canvas and held up awesome. Stability in the high winds we had a few of the nights was great as well.

Another bit a info is that I run a indoor safe propane Extra Large Mr.Buddy Heater.  I have found out that on the low to medium setting I burn around a gallon per night keeping the tent warm, when I say warm I mean between 75 and 80 degrees.  Most of the time I wake on top of my -40 sleeping bag.  I figure bringing an extra 10 gals of propane is better then spending the time away from hunting getting firewood and you don't have to get up in the night to stoke the fire to keep warm its a steady warm temp all night long.

The other upside is that it packs up small and doesnt take up too much room when packing. Im just north of Monroe if you would like to come look at it my door is open. Ive been life long friends with Skyvalhunter and even done some hunting with him.

-Wunderlich   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:25 AM »
Jackelope- I have the 12'x12' Kodiak Cabin Lodge tent and its awesome.  The floor is top notch a very strong rubber material and well worth it! It would take some effort in putting a whole through it.  I put down moving blankets inside on the floor to make it more comfortable and helps keep the floor dry in wet and snowy conditions coming in and out.

I was in it for 8 days straight this year during my Idaho hunt. It snowed, rained, and stormed everyday we were there and the tent help up great and never leaked. I didn't use a tarp on top, it was  just the canvas and held up awesome. Stability in the high winds we had a few of the nights was great as well.

Another bit a info is that I run a indoor safe propane Extra Large Mr.Buddy Heater.  I have found out that on the low to medium setting I burn around a gallon per night keeping the tent warm, when I say warm I mean between 75 and 80 degrees.  Most of the time I wake on top of my -40 sleeping bag.  I figure bringing an extra 10 gals of propane is better then spending the time away from hunting getting firewood and you don't have to get up in the night to stoke the fire to keep warm its a steady warm temp all night long.

The other upside is that it packs up small and doesnt take up too much room when packing. Im just north of Monroe if you would like to come look at it my door is open. Ive been life long friends with Skyvalhunter and even done some hunting with him.

-Wunderlich   

Hey that's a great offer. I appreciate it. I might take you up on it one of these days.
-Josh

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 04:28:52 PM »
Sounds good PM me when you're ready... and ill shoot you my number and address
-Wunderlich

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal