collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mulling it over. Thoughts?  (Read 12727 times)

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Mulling it over. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »
For what it’s worth Here in sw wa I’m training my first pudelpointer. I’m a rookie but I’m finding the pheasant release sites are turning into a perfect training ground for both me and my dog. Usually always find a bird or two in a couple hours of training/hunting. Mid day have the place to our selves.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 08:14:11 PM »
I'd say you'd have it better than most westside bird dog owners, it's not a far hop from North Bend to to the east side.  As a westside bird dog owner in a really bad spot (Whatcom county) I can say it's tough to justify owning one with all the work they require and the fact that wild birds are a 4 hour minimum drive....  Pheasant release sites are plentiful, but I go for the dog only, I don't get pumped about release birds.  Get a versatile breed and run it for waterfowl and grouse and you can get a little more use out of them over here.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
I'd say you'd have it better than most westside bird dog owners, it's not a far hop from North Bend to to the east side.  As a westside bird dog owner in a really bad spot (Whatcom county) I can say it's tough to justify owning one with all the work they require and the fact that wild birds are a 4 hour minimum drive....  Pheasant release sites are plentiful, but I go for the dog only, I don't get pumped about release birds.  Get a versatile breed and run it for waterfowl and grouse and you can get a little more use out of them over here.

Lake Terrel is a pretty good location as is Intelco but they need some mowing bad!

If you want a versatile breed consider a German Wirehair Pointer. My hunting partner runs them and they are damned good all purpose dogs. Uplands training will be easy. holding them still when duck hunting on land will be the challenge.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
T-Dozzer,   Ever considered a German Wirehair?  You mentioned Lab or GSP  .. Iv'e had both plus Chessie's.  Wirehairs are very versatile dogs on upland and water plus great family dogs.   And they have a unique personality..  kinda goofy like a lot of Labs ( not a dig on Labs.. i mean playful/friendly) but all business when the prey drive kicks in. Just an idea...

I have not, but Im not opposed to it. Don't know much about them.
Wife & kids want a chocolate lab and Ide prefer a black or yellow.
I lean towards labs because thats all we've ever had.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
Anyone have any experience with Tiger Mountain Labs out of Ellensburg?

http://www.pointinglabs.com/pages/home

Offline MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »

I have hunted with some of their dogs.  Not bad at all.  Pointing labs can be an adventure.  If you go that route be sure to get a small narrow shouldered version for upland - like the breed back in the Dakotas.  Big wide labs simply can't work a lot of the Palouse cover/steepness. My 80lb GWP struggled with the Palouse at times too.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 02:25:39 PM »

I have hunted with some of their dogs.  Not bad at all.  Pointing labs can be an adventure.  If you go that route be sure to get a small narrow shouldered version for upland - like the breed back in the Dakotas.  Big wide labs simply can't work a lot of the Palouse cover/steepness. My 80lb GWP struggled with the Palouse at times too.

:tup:

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2020, 10:03:26 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Drahthaar breed? Similar to the wire hair.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2020, 10:14:22 PM »
yeah, great credentials.  The guys that breed them put a ton of time in the breed.  I have two!

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
yeah, great credentials.  The guys that breed them put a ton of time in the breed.  I have two!

Is it hard to find pups from a reputable breeder within driving distance?

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 01:25:56 AM »
yeah mine are out of red rock drahthaar in utah.  Thats where the trials are centered around there and idaho it seems. Remember though any dog is a huge commitment so i personally want the best chance of getting a quality bird dog as i can get.  I believe i get that with these dogs.  Blood trailing big game or dead pheasants across an icy river.  My dog has done it.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 05:46:48 AM »
yeah mine are out of red rock drahthaar in utah.  Thats where the trials are centered around there and idaho it seems. Remember though any dog is a huge commitment so i personally want the best chance of getting a quality bird dog as i can get.  I believe i get that with these dogs.  Blood trailing big game or dead pheasants across an icy river.  My dog has done it.

Whar made you choose the Drahtaar over the more common wire hair?
Is there a big difference between the 2 or is a regional thing?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:56:03 AM by T-Dozzer »

Offline MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »

Whar made you choose the Drahtaar over the more common wire hair?
Is there a big difference between the 2 or is a regional thing?

"The American Kennel Club requires that both parent dogs be purebred of the German Wirehaired breed. On the other hand, the Verein Deutsch-Drahthaar require the parents to have passed several tests in the program before being bred. If they do not pass those tests, that dog will not be used to carry on the standards of the breed. This is the largest and most measurable distinction between the two breeds."

If you go the GWP route and get good hunting lineage you could argue there is no difference.  I'd say go with whatever breeder you are happiest with.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 10:28:14 AM »
In the early 2000's I took my Lewellin setter to Canine Country Club/Carlson's Kennels) in Fall City for upland training. They have always had a person who is either dedicated to upland dogs, or is well versed on upland dog training, even though their focus is on labs. I have a relative who has recently had his English setter trained there and he is pleased. I've always liked their operation, especially Carol, who pretty much ran the kennel (we also boarded our dogs there is we went out of town). I envy your location for a quick getaway to the east side. I'm in Seattle and I can be drudgery.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 07:22:42 PM »
In the early 2000's I took my Lewellin setter to Canine Country Club/Carlson's Kennels) in Fall City for upland training. They have always had a person who is either dedicated to upland dogs, or is well versed on upland dog training, even though their focus is on labs. I have a relative who has recently had his English setter trained there and he is pleased. I've always liked their operation, especially Carol, who pretty much ran the kennel (we also boarded our dogs there is we went out of town). I envy your location for a quick getaway to the east side. I'm in Seattle and I can be drudgery.

Great info. Close.
Thanks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]