collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winter Steelhead  (Read 5247 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: Winter Steelhead
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »
I feel ya R Dog.
Let's go catch some fish.

I'm in. Just let me know when to show up
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
Generally do pretty good since I started a couple years ago. 15 or so fish each season. Pink worm under a float with an 1/8 ounce jig gets them every time!

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 10:03:48 AM »
I have also nearly stopped fishing Puget Sound rivers after many years of great fishing. The runs have gone from incredible, to ok, to terrible. I really miss it. I might just make a few trips this winter anyway.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline WoolyRunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
Yea, I mainly plunk for metalheads. Side-planer with a 3.0 Maglip with a little shrimp gel on it.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
It's a thorn in my side. I've logged well over 1000 days winter steelhead fishing. Last year I went one time. My home rivers have virtually no hatchery fish left and are not open for catch and release. I could head to the peninsula but fishing in the parade and beating up the few fish returning there doesn't feel right either. It's a tough one. I may finally be coming to terms with the saying, "If you truly love something, let it go." Makes me sad my son most likely won't see even then modest steelhead fishing I was able to experience growing up.

One of the main reasons we moved from that side to this side. You probably know by my avatar where we fish now. :IBCOOL:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 01:07:10 PM »
It's a thorn in my side. I've logged well over 1000 days winter steelhead fishing. Last year I went one time. My home rivers have virtually no hatchery fish left and are not open for catch and release. I could head to the peninsula but fishing in the parade and beating up the few fish returning there doesn't feel right either. It's a tough one. I may finally be coming to terms with the saying, "If you truly love something, let it go." Makes me sad my son most likely won't see even then modest steelhead fishing I was able to experience growing up.

One of the main reasons we moved from that side to this side. You probably know by my avatar where we fish now. :IBCOOL:

I've spent a lot of time there as well! Love it there. Wish I had time to spend more there.

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
Avid steelhead guy here, well used to be. I'd fish the Columbia to the coast every chance I had. Then a little shoulder injury has me almost completely sidelined. I have a sled and a drifter that I can't row anymore. I have a buddy who'll row for me and I just live for the bobber drop or the feeling of a fish picking up drifted eggs. I will agree that this state has gone from first to worst as far as fisheries management goes.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
Guess I'm the odd ball out. Can't say I miss it cuze never done it or even salmon fished, never really had the opportunity.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »
Started steelheading with my dad in the late '70s and witnessed some incredible fisheries. He was a hardcore steelheader, year round. Those fish fed our family. I followed his footsteps and really got fishing dialed in. I since have read the writing, and gave up on winter fish about 5 years ago. Always been partial to summerruns anyways. Even that is becoming a joke. Living in a wonderful place that has many, many rivers within easy driving distance, and all I really look forward to is chasing smallmouth on the east side, or late summer sea runs. Curious to see how many fingers point and which direction when the last steelie perishes.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
Here's a few from the days in my teens when I really got the itch and started catching a lot of steelhead. It only got worse from here. I'll say this though, steelhead payed my way through college.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:12:42 AM by 7mmfan »

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »

Nice  :salute:

Yep one can get "Hooked" on stealhead fishing.  I know  :hello:

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »
This thread bums me out, and pi$$es me off at the same time. I grew up fishing the two bit hole on the Sky and fishing the a crossed from the Carnation Farms on the Snokwalmie.
Seeing the Puyallup when it was rated on of the top 5 Stealie rivers in the state.

Now basically extinct on the Puget Sound rivers do to gross mismanagement and incompetence from out fisheries department.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:40:15 PM by Alchase »
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline SeaRun1

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 08:43:13 PM »
No kidding...  I was a diehard steelheader as well.  BC Steels were my weapon of choice and I fished as much as I could whenever my pet rivers were in shape.  I gave up skiing for a decade because I was missing steelheading on the days I was up at Crystal.

Haven’t caught a steelhead in three years and didn’t even go last year.  I miss it a bunch.  It’s never coming back I’m afraid.  We had Europe and the East Coast to learn our anadromous fish lessons and well guess what...

Love the pictures.  Feel bad for kids today.

SR1

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: CCA
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 06:23:22 PM »
It’s a MESS!!! I came here in 97 with the US COAST GUARD, and grew up fishing, when I got out here I couldn’t wait to catch steel head and salmon, took me 3 years of many miles on my rig and lots of different tactics to finally catch my first one!! I figured out, from bait to spoons, bobbers and jigs, and now I’ve seen the fisheries steadily decline and it is really sad! I don’t like it and honestly haven’t been winter fishing in about 3 years now and don’t really even attempt summer run fishing anymore. It’s a sad state of affairs to witness the fish decline all over our coastal rivers from salmon to steelhead! They gotta do something!!!
Never give up.... you never know what’s around the next corner or over the next ridge......enjoy it while you can!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal