collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69379 times)

Offline LongBomb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »
If a couple hundred bucks stretches someone too far financially.....maybe theyre living beyond their means? An out of state hunt is something to do if you have extra money you can put towards it. If youve been laid off all year and stretched thin on $, don't spend 2-3k on an out of state hunting trip. Use some common sense.
I can maybe see some of the other point of views for grumbling but not the $ side. Similar to what Karl said, Idaho is still a better value than other states.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2020, 11:24:29 AM »

I really think Idaho should've focused on the specific areas that had problems with quotas (like they have elsewhere) and let the rest self-regulate.  Heck, even WA doesn't make you pick a specific unit for deer or elk!

I sincerely hope they do not sell out.

Maybe they are trying to avoid turning into what Washington already is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #242 on: December 02, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
For the millions out of work, not being able to afford it isn't a stretch at all, it's a fact for many.

Not everyone can hunt out of state to begin with, so who cares who isn't $1100. Many can't afford it, so they don't. For those who can it might be time to go to a different state since they all cost about the same anyway.

A new unit can simply be a new unit, but not for those who have hunted one area for years on end. For those who once upon a time hunted a new unit, they didn't have to with prices this high. And for those that can't simply get there in less than a days drive scouting prior to the season may not be an option. Big gamble. And again, new unit with the same money, why choose Idaho instead of any of the other states?

For one person it's a $315 increase. For a family of three, almost $1000 difference. Then add in the one unit restriction. And Covid related loss of wages. And having to pay right now or you won't get a unit you want, if you were able to get it at all. Will they even be able to get that time off, guaranteed, from work if they are working? It all makes a difference.

If you want to great. I'm just saying I think it will result in many people saying no thanks, or not this year.

I get that but thats not idaho's fault. Those problems will exist regardless of which state someone chooses. Upset with idaho so gonna go somewhere else. Where? WY? CO? MT? NM? AZ? OR? NV? UT? All will be new units. Most will take preference points. Most you won't be able to get deer and elk in the same unit and all except oregon archery will be a draw a draw system for single units.

I hate change as much or more as the next guy but my point will be and will always be.....find a new way. I hunt lots because I hustle hard to stay out ahead of this stuff and always have a plan. Thats gets you hunts. Throwing your hands up and shouting poor me will find a guy on the couch looking at everyone else's success on huntwa.

Thats a metaphorical "you", not a you specifically taco. I just want everyone to change the way they look at obstacles.  Its always easier to go negative but its seldom the right approach  :twocents:

Agree with Karl here.

I'm planning on hunting multiple states this year and have priorities set in my life and have hustled to provide funds for my hunting budget. I could have been laid off in October if I chose to but I'm still working because extra money will give me the funds to be able to hunt multiple states! I'm not rich, but if it means prioritizing my budget so be it!

Extra money can always be made in a months work of side work.  How bad do you want it?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #243 on: December 02, 2020, 11:27:16 AM »
I don't think the issue is the extra money as much as the fact that you have to buy your tag on December 1st for the following year. No other state makes you plan that far ahead. I apply in Wyoming every year for deer and antelope and I have until the end of May to make my plans and send in my money.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »

I really think Idaho should've focused on the specific areas that had problems with quotas (like they have elsewhere) and let the rest self-regulate.  Heck, even WA doesn't make you pick a specific unit for deer or elk!

I sincerely hope they do not sell out.

Maybe they are trying to avoid turning into what Washington already is?

Hopefully next step for Idaho is banning harvest of antlerless deer on general and white tail tags except for youth, disabled, and elderly!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2020, 11:32:48 AM »
I don't think the issue is the extra money as much as the fact that you have to buy your tag on December 1st for the following year. No other state makes you plan that far ahead. I apply in Wyoming every year for deer and antelope and I have until the end of May to make my plans and send in my money.
money has been brought up multiple times which is why it was argued..

Idaho tags always go on sale in Dec. Thats not new. Whats new is people now having to prioritize idaho instead of treating her like a side piece.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
I don't think they really knew what they were doing.  How do they know the exact quantity of "resident participation" in each deer unit?  They have some idea due to self reporting, but they have no idea in reality.  They're about to find out which deer units are worth the extra $50 and which were never worth the original.

I sincerely hope that they do not sell out of either deer or elk tags and that residents get the chance they've been waiting for to buy a second.  So many of the message boards indicate that those folks want to, but lets see what happens when the rubber meets the road.

It was not many years ago when they couldn't sell their elk tags for $299 each, to anyone.  I bought a second one in 2015 in November. 

Regardless, this is a lesson for everyone, Idaho included.  This will not be the final version, this is a learning experience.

Any leftover tags will be 100 percent bought out by resident hunters. My opinion but will see. there were lots of local people bummed this year with no second tags. Discounted tags were kind of peak of wolves low of elk years.  Now that wolves getting managed aggressively I don’t see that happening again. Plus we’re getting better at trapping wolves (most trappers besides me :chuckle:) but I got a plan this year so we’ll see on wolves ha ha. I think Idaho will have to go to a lot more draw units just too many new residents every year. This is just a step in that direction trying to manage non resident numbers first. I would rather have them do whatever they can to avoid going draw only even if the first year is a bit of a cluster. The right thing to do is try and manage and spread out non residents first. But the real problem is new resident hunters moving here by the thousands monthly. There is no system to cap those tags or spread them out. Only solution will be more and more draw areas and finally the whole state goes draw for everything and everyone. That will be a bummer but I don’t see any way around it too many new people.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
I dont mind the change with one exception...im an avid deer hunter and have been steadily NOT elk hunting these days. I would like to see the elk tags and deer tags go on sale on different days. I did end up getting the tag I wanted but it was the very last one. I logged in early and just couldn’t get on until I had an 8000 plus number assigned. I believe, although I could be wrong, that this would help with the hustle of the December 1 craziness and help with the people who buy deer tags to go along with their elk tags for OTC units and vice versa. I know its selfish but I think it would help the people who focus more on one or the other get their tags instead of the people at the beginning getting the pick of the litter for both species.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
I dont mind the change with one exception...im an avid deer hunter and have been steadily NOT elk hunting these days. I would like to see the elk tags and deer tags go on sale on different days. I did end up getting the tag I wanted but it was the very last one. I logged in early and just couldn’t get on until I had an 8000 plus number assigned. I believe, although I could be wrong, that this would help with the hustle of the December 1 craziness and help with the people who buy deer tags to go along with their elk tags for OTC units and vice versa. I know its selfish but I think it would help the people who focus more on one or the other get their tags instead of the people at the beginning getting the pick of the litter for both species.

it would definitely help to alleviate some server traffic at least. Maybe make it different days as the first day of resident sales as well to further eliminate some traffic.

Idaho guy, do you know if the leftover NR tags will be unit specific as second tags for residents or will they be just standard statewide tags like previous
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »
money has been brought up multiple times which is why it was argued..

Idaho tags always go on sale in Dec. Thats not new. Whats new is people now having to prioritize idaho instead of treating her like a side piece.

:yeah:

It'll be interesting to see how this will effect Non-Res tags in other states, now that ID isn't the fall back for OTC. 

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
I'm not saying it's anyone's fault. But the solution to this obstacle is simply to throw more money at it, and that will continue as we've seen. At some point people will say not this year, or instead of hunting four states I can only hunt three. Or I didn't get any of the units I wanted, being somewhat flexible, so I'll wait till next year.

If the goal is to make memories with friends or family then take that $1200, buy a side of beef, and have some great BBQs/camping trips. There's always options.

Your argument gives the impression that people either have to hunt out of state, or they're just upset, negative, poor me people who can't overcome obstacles.

I don't see anyone shouting poor me, but even last year I met guys in Idaho who weren't sure if they were coming back. Everyone has their reasons, don't look down on them for their choices.

As for me, I'm still furloughed, have applied to hundreds of pilot positions, but with somewhere between 5,000-10,000 pilots (hard to get a real number with furloughs plus many taking a LOA, early retirements while still looking to work, zero time lines, etc) competing for those jobs, still no luck. Maybe I finally start at the major I have a job offer with next year and am in training or can't get the time off to hunt, just money wasted. Or find a new job and can't hunt for the same reasons. Or if I don't at all, I'll just save that money in case I really need it down the road. And even if I said I'll shell out for it, I still don't like the unit restriction. Not mad at Idaho, no poor me attitude, it's just not worth it to me under the circumstances, so I'll pass.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2020, 11:47:13 AM »
Yes I agree it's making so people who really want to hunt Idaho have to make it a priority over other states. Idaho has always been in my mind an option that I might hunt some day if other options didn't pan out. Buy a tag last minute and go hunt. But it sounds like that may no longer be an option. So I'll have to be sure I have a second choice plan in mind for another state if I end up not drawing the tags I want in Wyoming. My second choice might just have to be Washington. I'm afraid the change in Idaho is going to put more pressure on other states, and possibly make draw odds even worse in those states.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »

it would definitely help to alleviate some server traffic at least. Maybe make it different days as the first day of resident sales as well to further eliminate some traffic.

Idaho guy, do you know if the leftover NR tags will be unit specific as second tags for residents or will they be just standard statewide tags like previous

Wow that’s a good point I hadn’t considered so I have no idea. I don’t think all the leftovers would be bought as second tags if residents had to pick a unit. If there statewide I feel 100 percent of leftover will be bought as second tag quick. If there unit specific might only be some really marginal units left to choose from

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »
Would residents have to choose a unit as a second tag? I bought an extra deer tag in '18 and '19 as a non res, wasn't able to get one this year.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »

They need to do this  :tup: If nothing else it reduces the major cluster of everyone jumping on at once

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]