collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69468 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
Taco, again I think you're getting out in the weeds a bit. The 2 major complains in THIS THREAD and SPECIFIC to idaho being a non resident hunter is price increase and choosing of a specific unit that may not be ones first choice. The solution that has been thrown out is just jump states or sit er out. I was merely trying to convey that ones alternatives are identical to what you would get from idaho minus the convenience of still being able to buy otc tags.

Pretty obvious that everyone has different financial positions in life and that effects what they would do but this conversation is about idaho so im assuming that anyone upset about this was planning a week vacation and planning to spend the money to hunt out if state. So based on those two things, is it not fair to assume ones options are to stay home or go to another state and pay the same amount of money to hunt a single unit? I feel thats a pretty safe assumption
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #256 on: December 02, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
Also the price increase was approved a long time ago and is no surprise, so a guy either budgeted for it or he didn't.  If he didn't he wasn't buy tags to begin with so its just folks complaining on the internet at this point.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #257 on: December 02, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
I know a guy in Idaho, he is very smart and holds a position in the state. I met him while hunting and we have become friends. He is a very unique Idahoan in that he actually likes the non res hunters. He thinks they are typically more skilled and more respectful than many of the residents because, if you are spending that kind of money you have to be more serious. He is a really great guy and I respect his opinion. I talked with him yesterday and he brought these few points to light.

1) This was a way for Idaho to get more money into IDFG without raising rates for resident hunters.
2)  The woods are super overcrowded. There has been a massive influx of people moving to Idaho, add that to the massive amount of non-res hunters and the woods are a mad house. The resident hunters are very vocal about this and they helped to create the new changes.
3) You want to play, you have to pay. Could be a lot worse.

I talked to him about the DAV tags. He is a Vet himself so he can see the frustrations. I see it like this: Idaho was doing something that none of the other western states were doing. It was an amazing opportunity that many of us took advantage of. To be honest, the first year I bought a DAV tag I told my wife that this would not last. People would figure it out and they would have to cut the tags. So, it was not a surprise that it happened. What was a surprise was the BS way the lottery worked out to draw them. By cutting them as much as they did it was impossible to think they would not have sold out. They should have let the qualified DAV enter a draw the day before. For those that only planned to hunt if they got that tag this would have been the best way to allow that and it would have cleared many of them out of the pool the following day, which in-turn, would have made things faster. That is my idea anyway.

It's hard because if you complain and make a stink IDFG might just say "Hey, you want to complain and be ungrateful that's fine. We will just terminate the program all together." So it feels like they have the DAV folks balls in a vice. Like, they gave this great opportunity and got a ton of folks to participate. Then they cut it massively, like so incredibly massive, and did so knowing that nobody could argue it in good faith without sounding like an ungrateful a-hole. Rock and a hard place for all the DAV qualified non-res hunters. I am pissed beyond belief I did not get my DAV elk tag this year. Trust me that I am. I just don't know how to complain without sounding like a POS. So I bought a normal non-res tag so I can still hunt with my buddies. I am mad, I don't have a solution which makes me more mad. However, I want to hunt Idaho and so I gave them my money and I hold hope that they come up with a better system next year.         
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
It wasn't too bad for me, but it wss afternoon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »
Fair post corey. Like you said though,  the DAV program was discovered and got to an over use point. At the end of the day IDFG is charged with managing that states wildlife and sometimes that has to come at a cost if there is over use.  Ive never come away from an interaction with anyone at IDFG that wasn't positive.  Id encourage you to write them and offer constructive solutions to some of the issues (like doing the DAV sales on a different day). At the end of the day its easy to sit back and judge other humans for being human. The DAV thing was for sure just an oversight.  Im betting there aren't too many folks in IDFG that didn't want to see veterans get tags  :twocents:

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
Also the price increase was approved a long time ago and is no surprise, so a guy either budgeted for it or he didn't.  If he didn't he wasn't buy tags to begin with so its just folks complaining on the internet at this point.

Okay, price and unit:

It may not be that they didn't budget for it if they simply say it isn't worth it to them anymore. There's many things in life I can afford to buy, but don't value the product enough to spend the money they want. Even with my employment situation I could easily buy an elk tag, but at $837 it just isn't worth it, to me. That isn't complaining, just a choice. But realistically that price with my situation, it's an easy no.

And if someone has to wait in order to determine when they can get vacation for, their first, second, third, fourth, or even fifth+ choice may be gone. At that point it may not be worth it so they sit it out. There is a choice of not going, without being butthurt.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:35:54 PM by Taco280AI »

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
All valid points but then if said individual comes on huntwa and complains about those two exact points is that not kind of the definition of butthurt :chuckle:

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
I know a guy in Idaho, he is very smart and holds a position in the state. I met him while hunting and we have become friends. He is a very unique Idahoan in that he actually likes the non res hunters. He thinks they are typically more skilled and more respectful than many of the residents because, if you are spending that kind of money you have to be more serious. He is a really great guy and I respect his opinion. I talked with him yesterday and he brought these few points to light.

1) This was a way for Idaho to get more money into IDFG without raising rates for resident hunters.
2)  The woods are super overcrowded. There has been a massive influx of people moving to Idaho, add that to the massive amount of non-res hunters and the woods are a mad house. The resident hunters are very vocal about this and they helped to create the new changes.
3) You want to play, you have to pay. Could be a lot worse.

I talked to him about the DAV tags. He is a Vet himself so he can see the frustrations. I see it like this: Idaho was doing something that none of the other western states were doing. It was an amazing opportunity that many of us took advantage of. To be honest, the first year I bought a DAV tag I told my wife that this would not last. People would figure it out and they would have to cut the tags. So, it was not a surprise that it happened. What was a surprise was the BS way the lottery worked out to draw them. By cutting them as much as they did it was impossible to think they would not have sold out. They should have let the qualified DAV enter a draw the day before. For those that only planned to hunt if they got that tag this would have been the best way to allow that and it would have cleared many of them out of the pool the following day, which in-turn, would have made things faster. That is my idea anyway.

It's hard because if you complain and make a stink IDFG might just say "Hey, you want to complain and be ungrateful that's fine. We will just terminate the program all together." So it feels like they have the DAV folks balls in a vice. Like, they gave this great opportunity and got a ton of folks to participate. Then they cut it massively, like so incredibly massive, and did so knowing that nobody could argue it in good faith without sounding like an ungrateful a-hole. Rock and a hard place for all the DAV qualified non-res hunters. I am pissed beyond belief I did not get my DAV elk tag this year. Trust me that I am. I just don't know how to complain without sounding like a POS. So I bought a normal non-res tag so I can still hunt with my buddies. I am mad, I don't have a solution which makes me more mad. However, I want to hunt Idaho and so I gave them my money and I hold hope that they come up with a better system next year.         
Instead of cutting back the DAV deer tags to 500 (1500 were sold last year) I think they should have just made the DAV tags unlimited again and sold them at the new non resident youth price. I know it would have been an increase over the previous DAV price, but better than a free for all at 1000 mountain time and it would ensure all DAVs got a discount at least. Im a DAV and I would be ok with the increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2020, 12:44:23 PM »
I feel like I've beaten this dead horse too much so my closing argument is mow some lawns for some side cash, pick a unit, and go have an adventure! The animals are there for the taking and the mountains are always the great equalizer. Choose to hunt always for every hunt you don't go on is an adventure you cannot and will not get back.  One hard lesson i learned from my brothers death years ago was that tomorrow IS NOT a guarantee so you better get your asses going on making every day and every moment count :twocents:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2020, 12:51:28 PM »
Do you still have to print your license and then they mail you the tag or they mail everything to you now?
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2020, 12:52:45 PM »
All valid points but then if said individual comes on huntwa and complains about those two exact points is that not kind of the definition of butthurt :chuckle:

Not if it's an explanation of why they're not hunting  ;)

Reminds me of primary training at Rucker with the TH67. Helicopters aren't the easiest to learn to fly, as your brother knew, and I wasn't doing something quite right so my instructor was calling me on it. Unless you were already a helicopter pilot upon showing up, NOBODY could hover day one (or even two or three solidly) with them on all the controls. I was telling them what was going on and they said all they're hearing are excuses. No, I'm giving you an explanation from my point of view so maybe you'll understand my thought process and what I'm doing so we can fix it. All about perspective.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
Like I said, im speaking in general terms to the arguments made NOT at you specifically. You keep coming back to you. OTHERS on this thread, not you taco, have stated the price is bs and and single units are bs and they are going elsewhere. Where? Where is a guy (not taco) gonna go where he is sub 1200 that he can hunt deer and elk without points with a gun? Again NOT you taco.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
The price is BS. The single unit is BS  :chuckle:

So maybe they just won't hunt out of state? Or complain about it and do it anyway  :chuckle:

As for a complaint, why is my Crispi delivery taking so long? Ordered the 27th with a delivery date of the 1st (they determined that, not me). They were in Springfield the 28th, in the possession of USPS and at the post office. It took till the 1st to get to the distribution center in Springfield. Now on the 2nd they've only made it to KC. From the 27th till the 2nd and still haven't left the state. USPS sucks

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »

So maybe they just won't hunt out of state? Or complain about it and do it anyway  :chuckle:

As for a complaint, why is my Crispi delivery taking so long? Ordered the 27th with a delivery date of the 1st (they determined that, not me). They were in Springfield the 28th, in the possession of USPS and at the post office. It took till the 1st to get to the distribution center in Springfield. Now on the 2nd they've only made it to KC. From the 27th till the 2nd and still haven't left the state. USPS sucks

I got some new Crispi boots in the mail yesterday.  Santa must be looking out for me, didn't even ask for them  :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »

They are on the same truck as some of the Georgia ballots
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal