collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69372 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
Id blame fedex  :o
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2020, 01:32:53 PM »
It's easy to see the problem.
Everyone that's bitching about the wait time and related slowness on the game and fish site has posted a screen shot of some white dude slowly walking across a green bar.

Let's just say my guy was far more athletic.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:50 PM »
Regarding the DAV Tags,Idaho may be looking to correct some of the madhouse that happened yesterday.  Perhaps a letter including some of the better suggestions would be well-received?  Some good ideas have been floated on here, just on this page...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
I feel like I've beaten this dead horse too much so my closing argument is mow some lawns for some side cash, pick a unit, and go have an adventure! The animals are there for the taking and the mountains are always the great equalizer. Choose to hunt always for every hunt you don't go on is an adventure you cannot and will not get back.  One hard lesson i learned from my brothers death years ago was that tomorrow IS NOT a guarantee so you better get your asses going on making every day and every moment count :twocents:

Totally agree with the above!  Especially now that I am 55 years old!  Randy Newberg said it best, "Hunt whenever you can!!!  Your going to run out of health way before you run out of money!!!"  I learned the same way as I watched my hunting partner fight colon cancer for 7 years and then pass away from it.  I don't have skin in the game you might say because I don't currently hunt Idaho.  Washington, Montana, and Wyoming are as much as an old man like me can handle (or maybe this old mans wife can handle).  Every year you put it off is one year you wont get back and your health is going to do nothing but go one direction over time.  If you want to make it happen you can!  And Karl, along with working out at the Hanford Site for 32 years and owning and running an older RV/MH park, I do mow 25 lawns a week!!!  Not sure why, but it keeps me young and helps pay for my tags!!!  ;)
Zonk Volmer

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
I wish they would have made the deer units the same as the elk units.  If individual units require different management for deer, then break them off, but to do single units for deer is overkill IMO.  I would have liked to seen Panhandle deer instead of unit 1,2,3, etc. 

Price, well, that is what is it.  Pay or don't, I won't argue what they charge.

I like the timing.  Gives me time to plan vacation and other hunts.  If States did their draws and sales all at the same time it would be a jumbled mess for many.

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
I've been apply in most western states for over 20 years and there are 2 thing that you can count on price increases and tag cuts.  Factor them in now or stop applying.  If you don't do one of these 2 things it's your fault for getting mad.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »
Things I've learned here:
1) I need to mow lawns.
2) I need to find someone else to mow my lawn so I can hunt today.
3) My health is getting worse.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2020, 01:56:53 PM »
I've been apply in most western states for over 20 years and there are 2 thing that you can count on price increases and tag cuts.  Factor them in now or stop applying.  If you don't do one of these 2 things it's your fault for getting mad.
You forgot point creep!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2020, 02:38:02 PM »
Things I've learned here:
1) I need to mow lawns.
2) I need to find someone else to mow my lawn so I can hunt today.
3) My health is getting worse.

Love It!!!!!!
Zonk Volmer

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »
There's been a lot ground covered since Karl posted the question about what we were really mad about, but here's my position.

I'm not mad about the money. It sucks spending more money, but as it's been stated many times over, Idaho is now closer to in line with other western states. They are closer to me than other western states, so I'll save money on fuel, and time on the road.

I'm not even mad about the quotas. I see more non resident plates where we hunt than resident plates. I'm confident it will help distribute the pressure and the hunting quality over time should reflect that.

What pisses me off is that it was a mad dash, into a new system that everyone supposedly had equal ability to get tags, but it didn't work that way. Guys that logged on literally seconds before me were thousands of places up the line and got tags. It was just a literal crap shoot.

Also, we have a group of guys that hunt together. We WANT to hunt TOGETHER. Well, one of those guys got his elk tag, but not a deer tag. One guy got his elk tag, but got a deer tag in a different unit. Two of us didn't get any tags. Another friend in a group of 3 got his deer tag but his partners did not. So suddenly our group of 4 is split in half with guys being forced to go different directions, or not at all and another group is no longer a group and one guy is having to plan this trip solo now. There is also no guarantee that it won't be that way next year, so how are we supposed to continue planning trips to this state as a group, when we can't guarantee that we can get tags as a group? At least in other western states, you apply to the draw as a group and you either get the tags or you don't and you move on.

That is the part that infuriates me the more I think about it.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
7mm Fan,

Very well said. Although I wasn't one of the people trying to buy tags yesterday, that's the biggest problem I see with their new system. Now you can't plan as a group and count on getting the same tags and hunting together. It reminds of the exact same problem we now have here in southwest Washington, where a majority of the best big game hunting is on Weyerhaeuser land, where an access permit is required. The permits are first come first serve, sold only online, and if you're not really quick and really lucky, you won't get one. So families and groups of hunters that used to hunt together can no longer plan on doing that. It's a really bad thing when it comes to keeping the hunting tradition alive. Hopefully Idaho will fix the issues by next year. Seems to me that they're going to have to go to some sort of a draw type of system.

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2020, 03:15:24 PM »
 :yeah:
My concern for our group. Our first choice had a lower quota and tried to be early. One guy had #900 something... one guy get a tag and a couple others get different tags ... our group is suddenly split in a different state. Luckily we all got a elk tag in our plan “B” area. I was online early and kept refreshing in order for it to not time out. I had been on for 45 mins and was #6900+ Last of our group of guys. Once it all crashed we nearly all got our tags paid for and confirmed near the same time.
Overall happy we got tags in an area we know. This just proved to me that next year is gonna be worse since it is gonna be a mad rush. might have to take the day off from work to get tags...
fear no fish!!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
Do you still have to print your license and then they mail you the tag or they mail everything to you now?

Ya that! :yeah:  Need to know ASAP for stocking stuffers!!!!!! :IBCOOL:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
Do you still have to print your license and then they mail you the tag or they mail everything to you now?

Ya that! :yeah:  Need to know ASAP for stocking stuffers!!!!!! :IBCOOL:

I did buy the new "hard card" for $5. This will have your license plus some other non-notchable permits listed on it.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
There's been a lot ground covered since Karl posted the question about what we were really mad about, but here's my position.

I'm not mad about the money. It sucks spending more money, but as it's been stated many times over, Idaho is now closer to in line with other western states. They are closer to me than other western states, so I'll save money on fuel, and time on the road.

I'm not even mad about the quotas. I see more non resident plates where we hunt than resident plates. I'm confident it will help distribute the pressure and the hunting quality over time should reflect that.

What pisses me off is that it was a mad dash, into a new system that everyone supposedly had equal ability to get tags, but it didn't work that way. Guys that logged on literally seconds before me were thousands of places up the line and got tags. It was just a literal crap shoot.

Also, we have a group of guys that hunt together. We WANT to hunt TOGETHER. Well, one of those guys got his elk tag, but not a deer tag. One guy got his elk tag, but got a deer tag in a different unit. Two of us didn't get any tags. Another friend in a group of 3 got his deer tag but his partners did not. So suddenly our group of 4 is split in half with guys being forced to go different directions, or not at all and another group is no longer a group and one guy is having to plan this trip solo now. There is also no guarantee that it won't be that way next year, so how are we supposed to continue planning trips to this state as a group, when we can't guarantee that we can get tags as a group? At least in other western states, you apply to the draw as a group and you either get the tags or you don't and you move on.

That is the part that infuriates me the more I think about it.

Only answer is draw system. I know Idaho’s been resisting that since all the surveys of hunters come back as wanting to hunt otc every year over a draw system. Draw system is coming anyways might be better if started with non resident draws. I see your point about getting split up it makes sense

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]