collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69453 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #300 on: December 03, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »
Well, they could still have first come first serve tags but allow a person to purchase multiple tags at the same time for a group of people. So just like with a draw system, either everyone in the group gets a tag, or nobody in the group gets a tag.

I feel like this is very doable.... you can always put a time limit on the additional tags like when you apply as a group.... where the group leader reserves so many tags for the group and then the individuals can buy said reserved tags within 24hrs by entering in the group leaders hunter ID else they go back to the pool.

It's the first year ,there are going to be kinks, and when it comes to hunting and tags there is no real good beta process like when you develop software and games. Though I guess they could have done a beta to an extent by inviting people (previous non-resident) to do a fake purchase in the system weeks before the release.... though is that the best use of money and resources? Would it have flushed out all the problems? From a wildlife management stand point which is the ultimate goal of IDFG, missing the group function wont hurt deer and elk populations. So this could have very well been the beta and next year they will have the bugs worked out.

True.  Idaho Fish & Game has been rather reasonable over the years. My expectation is they'll hear the feedback and realize they had a few glitches, and will implement some minor changes to further streamline it for next year.   My guess is ID did indeed do internal beta testing, but perhaps their back end server/software setup wasn't truly ready for the amount of demand in the short time window and thus the glitches that happened.  I've never have had reason to have any issues with Idaho F&G (I've lived there in ID, as well as in WA and OR over the years) and they'll probably get it more streamlined for next year.  I don't see Idaho F&G trying to intentionally alienate non-residents.   

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #301 on: December 03, 2020, 10:03:58 AM »
 :yeah:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #302 on: December 03, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
Got my message back from IDFG reference DAV tags and not being able to pick a deer unit. The DAV tags aren’t restricted to one unit and still done the old way. Man, I love Idaho!! :IBCOOL:

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2020, 10:20:50 AM »
I do know one thing about this new system. The state generated a ton of monies quickly which I know will be used to properly manage the resources we all here enjoy to pursue. The managers for all these funds seem to be doing a great good allocating the funds where needed! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2020, 10:30:47 AM »
I do know one thing about this new system. The state generated a ton of monies quickly which I know will be used to properly manage the resources we all here enjoy to pursue. The managers for all these funds seem to be doing a great good allocating the funds where needed! :tup:

From a budgeting perspective, this was a smart move by IDFG.  The tags sell out anyway so it's really a matter of timing on when the funds come in.  Changing the situation to drive tag purchases in December by the quota method allows most of the money to arrive at once every December so they can use it in larger chunks for big projects throughout the year instead of it trickling in over time. 

Unlimited non-resident tags was not going to be sustainable for the herds with Idaho's growing resident population....this change was coming some day no matter what so it's smart for IDFG to get ahead of the curve on this.  And by setting the quota the way they did, it makes for a more predictive budgeting cycle for their projects.  In financial parlance, non-residents are a recurring annuity for Idaho F&G budgeting cycles.  Idaho isn't going to risk the size of that annuity by alienating non-residents, and this change makes that annuity more predictive on when the bulk of the funds arrive. 

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #305 on: December 03, 2020, 11:01:51 AM »
After this log jam I can see the state moving to a 100% draw system for NR. Hopefully if they do it stays point free.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #306 on: December 03, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
They also get your money before you can spend it buying tags for another state.

Offline Johnny Doe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #307 on: December 03, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »

From a budgeting perspective, this was a smart move by IDFG.  The tags sell out anyway so it's really a matter of timing on when the funds come in.  Changing the situation to drive tag purchases in December by the quota method allows most of the money to arrive at once every December so they can use it in larger chunks for big projects throughout the year instead of it trickling in over time. 

Unlimited non-resident tags was not going to be sustainable for the herds with Idaho's growing resident population....this change was coming some day no matter what so it's smart for IDFG to get ahead of the curve on this.  And by setting the quota the way they did, it makes for a more predictive budgeting cycle for their projects.  In financial parlance, non-residents are a recurring annuity for Idaho F&G budgeting cycles.  Idaho isn't going to risk the size of that annuity by alienating non-residents, and this change makes that annuity more predictive on when the bulk of the funds arrive. 

:yeah: IMO IDFG is one of the best, if not the best state agencies in the west.  They do a good job of managing for the resource (fish and game) and not for the revenue!
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
They also get your money before you can spend it buying tags for another state.
Thats a moot point though as the NR tag quota sells out regardless. They know they are getting their cash and losing nothing to other states.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
Just another of many symptoms of living in a world of 7.8 billion people, with another 5-6 billion on the way by the end of the century.  There will come a day when hunting will be a thing of the past for all but a vanishingly small minority of either the very rich or the few remaining people in remote settings, I fear.  Sorry to digress in such a cynical manner. 

To the topic, I think IDFG is caught amidst some strong pressures, as noted by a lot on here.  There are bound to be problems as they try to adjust.  I do hear the frustrations as expressed by people on here, though, such as the disabled veterans and those who really value the family/group hunting experience.  Maybe IDFG's leadership can take all this into account in future years. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:54:18 AM by elkboy »

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2020, 11:55:03 AM »
Just another of many symptoms of living in a world of 7.8 billion people, with another 5-6 billion on the way by the end of the century.  There will come a day when hunting will be a thing of the past for all but a vanishingly small minority of either the very rich or the few remaining people in remote settings, I fear.  Sorry to digress in such a cynical manner.
you're not wrong but your post reminded me of this  :chuckle:

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
Karl, I guess if my future involves an amped up motorcycle and a spike-studded helmet, then I'll consider it a very strong silver lining!   :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Idaho is already a poacher friendly state
Huh?  How is it poacher friendly?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I can see no logical response to this???????????

x3 that makes no sense  :dunno:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
you're not wrong but your post reminded me of this  :chuckle:

You guys don´t dress like that...?  (am I in the wrong forum again...?)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #314 on: December 03, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
Isn't that a picture from when Mossback met Meat Eater.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal