collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69128 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #315 on: December 03, 2020, 04:05:54 PM »
Just another of many symptoms of living in a world of 7.8 billion people, with another 5-6 billion on the way by the end of the century.  There will come a day when hunting will be a thing of the past for all but a vanishingly small minority of either the very rich or the few remaining people in remote settings, I fear.  Sorry to digress in such a cynical manner.
you're not wrong but your post reminded me of this  :chuckle:

You guys don´t dress like that...?  (am I in the wrong forum again...?)

Kuiu's new urban take over camo. I heard they had some local guys testing it out.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
Just another of many symptoms of living in a world of 7.8 billion people, with another 5-6 billion on the way by the end of the century.  There will come a day when hunting will be a thing of the past for all but a vanishingly small minority of either the very rich or the few remaining people in remote settings, I fear.  Sorry to digress in such a cynical manner.
you're not wrong but your post reminded me of this  :chuckle:

You guys don´t dress like that...?  (am I in the wrong forum again...?)

Kuiu's new urban take over camo. I heard they had some local guys testing it out.

He's right ...there will be no need to hunt when everyone is eating Soylent Green.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »
I'm sure braising recipes will be in great demand...   :sry:

This is getting a little dark...

Offline huntnut26

• Tracker
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2020, 06:58:13 AM »
Have not read everyone's response so sorry if its already been brought up but the only drawbacks I see are 1) people that hunt in groups not all being able to get same tags and 2) its hard for the people that are unable sit and wait for for their opportunity to get a highly sought after tag while at work. Unfortunately OTC limited tags are first come first served and not sure how it can be fixed without going to a draw that no one wants to see happen.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2020, 07:14:54 AM »
Have not read everyone's response so sorry if its already been brought up but the only drawbacks I see are 1) people that hunt in groups not all being able to get same tags and 2) its hard for the people that are unable sit and wait for for their opportunity to get a highly sought after tag while at work. Unfortunately OTC limited tags are first come first served and not sure how it can be fixed without going to a draw that no one wants to see happen.

A draw would be better than those first come first served *censored* shows. With demand that high it’s essentially a draw anyways because you get your place in line (number) and then wait to see if your tag or any tag is available when your number is up. IMO first come first served works well when the quota lasts at least a few days, but not stuff that sells basically right away I.E. DAV elk /deer, diamond creek elk, pioneer elk etc.

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
They definitely need to go to a drawing, think this would have worked had the system not booted a bunch of people and all the other problems, and this has been said a bunch but you need to be able to apply as parters, even if it’s only in pairs of 2. I only hunt there with one other guy and I got it and he didn’t. It’s all good to check out new country and what not but doing it together is what makes it awesome.

Offline huntnut26

• Tracker
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2020, 10:08:48 AM »
I agree with both statements above, for selfish reasons I would hate to see Idaho go to draw system only due to my hunting partner (my son) moved there last year. If Idaho does go to draw system I hope it better then what we have here in Washington (again biased opinion coming for a guy sitting with max points for quality deer) :bash: It will be interesting to see what happens.

Online 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »
If they go draw, I hope they keep the way it is now and keep points out of it.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2020, 05:51:31 PM »
I really liked Idaho's 1st come 1st serve when it didn't sell out in one day...  :chuckle:

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2020, 07:08:07 PM »
If they go draw, I hope they keep the way it is now and keep points out of it.

Absolutely

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #325 on: December 05, 2020, 10:45:32 PM »
As much as I didnt like some aspects of the way they did their tags this year...i do not, under any circumstance, want them to go to a draw system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2020, 06:13:58 AM »
Why not do a draw system for where you are in line? Give everyone a time to “apply” then do a draw for where you get to stand in line. Only issue, in my mind, this doesn’t resolve is the group aspect but I guess if one guy in your party gets the front of the line you could still group up per party number or something
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Online idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2020, 06:57:08 AM »
Why not do a draw system for where you are in line? Give everyone a time to “apply” then do a draw for where you get to stand in line. Only issue, in my mind, this doesn’t resolve is the group aspect but I guess if one guy in your party gets the front of the line you could still group up per party number or something

Wouldn’t that just be a draw system? You would draw a number and that allows you to personally get in line to buy your tag which if you have the wrong number you have no chance of buying the tag you want. It would be easier just to let the computer do the math on your place in line and either give you the tag or the dreaded not selected  :chuckle. The biggest problem I see for non residents is breaking up hunting groups with first come first served. It’s been mentioned let someone buy for the whole groups but this is open for abuse and would be complicated. If you think it was a crap show just imagine each person in line snapping up 4 or more high demand tags at once. Computer would not only have to keep track of influx of buyers but make sure each buyer was limited to x number of tags I guess 4 to 8 ? For group buyer. It would be a mad dash with highly coveted tags gone in seconds not minutes. Idaho can do as many backflips and other tricks  to not say they have a draw but based on this year Idaho needs to do a draw for non res tags. I don’t think they will ever go to point system just straight draw. Or they can keep playing games to disguise a draw system as otc tags. Otc works when supply and demand were at least close to equal or supply exceeded demand a little. Who knows maybe after this year people decide it’s not worth it and we can have non res otc for a few more years. If demand stays the same it’s just easier to do a draw

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2020, 07:09:13 AM »
 :yeah:

This was one of my initial thoughts as well.  If anyone knows how to find the numbers logged into the "waiting room" prior to 9:00 that would give an idea. It was the rush through the door that creates the issues.
Stories of guys logged into the waiting room right at 8;45 that were kicked out and had 2.5 hour waits, others that were logged in early and got in and still had 35 to 40 minute waits, and still others who logged in after 9 and went straight to the front of the line.

I'm curious about the numbers of return tags this year. Selling out no is great on paper, how does it look in 6 months after everyone gets their results from other states etc.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
I think, with the exception of the party hunting, the process could have been made better by doing 2 things:

Holding elk and deer tags days on separate days.

Giving DAV tags out unlimited and just increasing the price to the same as the new new non resident youth prices.

Both of these would have helped, not alleviated, the mad dash at 0845. Elk tags would be the first tags that to me would make since to make a draw. However, as far as the deer tags, it seems weird to have a draw system if there are still so many tags available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]