collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69398 times)

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2020, 07:35:01 AM »
I’d be willing to bet there’s changes next year. That’s a broken system and a way of doing it. Sadly I see 2 draws for NR for general capped and the already controlled hunts and there being lots of returned tags due to people drawing better tags or drawing a controlled hunt. Them making it this way is setup for a draw. It was just a year or 2 ago they asked about high demand capped areas making it a draw... it’s on their radar.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »
There’s still 5,606 Idaho elk tags left.

Offline wannabhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2020, 07:40:23 AM »
Why not do a draw system for where you are in line? Give everyone a time to “apply” then do a draw for where you get to stand in line. Only issue, in my mind, this doesn’t resolve is the group aspect but I guess if one guy in your party gets the front of the line you could still group up per party number or something

Wouldn’t that just be a draw system? You would draw a number and that allows you to personally get in line to buy your tag which if you have the wrong number you have no chance of buying the tag you want. It would be easier just to let the computer do the math on your place in line and either give you the tag or the dreaded not selected  :chuckle. The biggest problem I see for non residents is breaking up hunting groups with first come first served. It’s been mentioned let someone buy for the whole groups but this is open for abuse and would be complicated. If you think it was a crap show just imagine each person in line snapping up 4 or more high demand tags at once. Computer would not only have to keep track of influx of buyers but make sure each buyer was limited to x number of tags I guess 4 to 8 ? For group buyer. It would be a mad dash with highly coveted tags gone in seconds not minutes. Idaho can do as many backflips and other tricks  to not say they have a draw but based on this year Idaho needs to do a draw for non res tags. I don’t think they will ever go to point system just straight draw. Or they can keep playing games to disguise a draw system as otc tags. Otc works when supply and demand were at least close to equal or supply exceeded demand a little. Who knows maybe after this year people decide it’s not worth it and we can have non res otc for a few more years. If demand stays the same it’s just easier to do a draw
My wife had us both logged in early with our licences in our carts. I had friends from our group that were logged in an hour after us and were several thousand people ahead of us in line. They had no issues purchasing. When it was finally my wife's turn, she added her tag and attempted to check out. It continued to load for entire allotted time and ended up charging her for the license and kicked the tag out. When it was finally my turn she had no issues getting my license and tag and had time to spare. She stayed in my place in line and was able to get her tag. The system is definitely flawed. We are hunting the panhandle. I don't know if that has anything  to do with it. If not, I would say one person could buy for their partners tags if they can do it in the allotted time.
"PETA" People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2020, 07:50:44 AM »
I think they should give preference to guys that have hunted the state the longest.  :chuckle:

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
I did not log in to the waiting room, went for the 9 am phone call. I chose to stay on the phone and wait it out. I did log in while waiting, down 12,261. At 9:34 I got the dreaded lost call message on my phone, big mistake. I should have taken the call back. Called again to get back in line. At one point the website said I was down to a 37 minute wait at somewhere around 4,000 in front of me.. Then it all the sudden said I was up, but had no access to fill anything out. I tried a couple of places in Lewiston to see if they would sell over the phone, no go. I do know some people that succeeded that way though, they had good connections. They would also not let my buddy drive across the river and buy it for me. Reality was setting in, I am not going to get a tag, at 12:30 I got up to do some chores. I walked by the laptop at 1 pm and wiggled the mouse. The screen popped up and said  You are up, I did my best to whip it out and hit submit. Bingo, 85 left! If they do it the same next year I will solve that problem by being at my buddies hunting whitetails. On 12/1 I will just drive across the river at 9:30 and get in line. He had 1 person in front of him.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2020, 08:40:19 AM »
Why not do a draw system for where you are in line? Give everyone a time to “apply” then do a draw for where you get to stand in line. Only issue, in my mind, this doesn’t resolve is the group aspect but I guess if one guy in your party gets the front of the line you could still group up per party number or something

Wouldn’t that just be a draw system? You would draw a number and that allows you to personally get in line to buy your tag which if you have the wrong number you have no chance of buying the tag you want. It would be easier just to let the computer do the math on your place in line and either give you the tag or the dreaded not selected  :chuckle. The biggest problem I see for non residents is breaking up hunting groups with first come first served. It’s been mentioned let someone buy for the whole groups but this is open for abuse and would be complicated. If you think it was a crap show just imagine each person in line snapping up 4 or more high demand tags at once. Computer would not only have to keep track of influx of buyers but make sure each buyer was limited to x number of tags I guess 4 to 8 ? For group buyer. It would be a mad dash with highly coveted tags gone in seconds not minutes. Idaho can do as many backflips and other tricks  to not say they have a draw but based on this year Idaho needs to do a draw for non res tags. I don’t think they will ever go to point system just straight draw. Or they can keep playing games to disguise a draw system as otc tags. Otc works when supply and demand were at least close to equal or supply exceeded demand a little. Who knows maybe after this year people decide it’s not worth it and we can have non res otc for a few more years. If demand stays the same it’s just easier to do a draw

A draw system implies that you are trying to draw a specific tag/unit or whatever. This "draw" would just be for your spot in line. At that point, depending on where you are in line is how many choices of units you would have.  :dunno:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2020, 08:47:41 AM »
They could of alleviated all this mess if they just took the 3-4 overcrowded units they are trying to fix and made them draw units for non rez much like they did with the late hunts in the Frank church.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #337 on: December 06, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »

A draw system implies that you are trying to draw a specific tag/unit or whatever. This "draw" would just be for your spot in line. At that point, depending on where you are in line is how many choices of units you would have.  :dunno:

Basically how MT does their alternates list. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see some variation of this, probably modified so a group can get under 1 number.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »

Basically how MT does their alternates list. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see some variation of this, probably modified so a group can get under 1 number.

Exactly.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2020, 08:57:45 AM »
Would it address the issue of party hunting and buying tags together?

And how would that work? Would you be given a specific date and time to make your selection? What if that time simply doesn't work for you, if you're working, taking kids to school, sleeping, or whatever?

A draw for a spot in line just seems like more hassle and headache. Just do a draw, no points.

Maybe when you put your name in the hat for a place in line, if you want to go in as a party you do it then and you collectively get one spot in line? Thinking out loud here.

I think that since the initial date is so dang early, they could come up with some system to work the way down the line

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2020, 01:49:27 PM »
I think they should give preference to guys that have hunted the state the longest.  :chuckle:
I think they should give preference to guys that don’t own an ATV or SXS...
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »

:chuckle: I was actually pleasantly surprised during elk season this year. It was my first time hunting a non-wilderness area in Idaho and I’ve always heard horror stories about every gate, closed road and rideable ridge line having a four wheeler on it. During our week in an otc unit I only had 1 side by side ride in behind us on a closed trail. Lots of gated roads that people walked in on and never did run into another hunter on foot. Pretty much the opposite of everything I read and definitely wayyyy better than WA

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »

Double points for me then :IBCOOL:

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »

I was thinking just like Montana non resident draw for tags but with unit choices of 1 st choice 2nd 3 rd etc. I guess the real answer will be how many tags are left this year if any. I said it before but Idaho’s biggest issue is new resident hunters not non residents. Interesting the most dedicated best whitetail hunter I know in Idaho is hunting Washington as a non resident   :yike:and Getting better bucks in your state than Idaho lol 😂

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2020, 02:58:11 AM »
They show 5600 elk tags left for residents but only about 1200 of them are to capped units where elk actually are huntable.  Idaho might not sell out.  The uncapped units are garbage and no one will hunt those as a non resident for the nearly $1000 license cost.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]