collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69368 times)

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2021, 07:50:06 AM »
I forget exactly how many outfitters get, but if they are not used by the end of July the public gets the rest of them.

Another thing I forgot to mention, nonresident youth tags are unlimited and not even a part of the non-resident quota, most people do not know that. Additionally, Youth deer tags are also still valid for any general deer unit. If an elk zone or deer unit is sold out you can still buy youth tags for that zone or unit.

Thanks for the youth info. Did not know that. :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »
More than anything this has caused, I believe poaching will go sky high in Idaho!  Idaho is already a poacher friendly state, now by limiting tags, it will cause even more to become trigger happy without a tag.  Just because you limit the amount of tags doesn’t mean you won’t limit the amount of animals killed.

I find it hard to believe this.  It implies that a high percentage of hunters would poach given the opportunity.  Having grown up in a large hunting community, there's just a tiny amount of people who will poach and they will poach regardless of what the game department is doing. 

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #377 on: January 16, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »
I do have a question on deer tags.  Take the panhandle area.

Who would voluntarily buy a whitetail tag for the panhandle, when they can shoot either a mule deer or a whitetail with the regular tag, assuming there is quota available for both?  Seems a little odd to me.

There are even tags in the mountains where both species more readily coexist, where there are still any deer tags available, but still some people have selected the whitetail tags. 

Am I missing something or are people just dumb?
you’re not missing anything, people that buy a whitetail tag first in the panhandle are making a dumb move.  But not as dumb as the people that bought regular deer tags in units like 14 and 18.  They handicapped themselves to only hunting till the 3rd of November.  My guess is that they are new to the Idaho game and didn’t know any better.

Sometimes you wonder how many people who bought those 14 and 18 tags realize they cannot hunt mule deer with that tag? Or maybe it's the people who hunt the private property buying those tags.

It's possible that guys wanted a deer tag to go along with an elk tag so if they saw a whitetail while elk hunting they could shoot it.  In 14 at least, whitetail tags are sold out so a regular tag might have been their only choice. If your hunting trip is planned for Oct 10 - Oct 24 around the modern rifle season for elk, and your deer tag is just for the chance of taking a deer on the same hunt, a regular tag is as good as a whitetail tag, especially now that your deer tag is only good for one unit. Either tag will cover you during modern elk season, if you are hunting elk in 14. 

Before this year, you might have gotten a reg tag with the idea you'd take a whitetail if you got the chance during elk season in 14, then if you didn't you could switch units and hunt mulies someplace where it was legal.  For example, when I elk hunted in 14, I had a whitetail tag, but a couple buddies had regular tags. Once elk season ended, we spent a few days deer hunting in 19A so they could look for mulies. Its right next door and we stayed in the same camp while we did that. Now that you are confined to one unit for deer, that option isn't available.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #378 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »
I forget exactly how many outfitters get, but if they are not used by the end of July the public gets the rest of them.

Another thing I forgot to mention, nonresident youth tags are unlimited and not even a part of the non-resident quota, most people do not know that. Additionally, Youth deer tags are also still valid for any general deer unit. If an elk zone or deer unit is sold out you can still buy youth tags for that zone or unit.

Thanks for the youth info. Did not know that. :tup:

I didn't either.  Might be the year to get Little Pathfinder out of school for  a couple of days...  He has way better luck than me... :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #379 on: January 19, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
Idaho Non Resident Tag Quota page is saying its sold out totals include Guide tags.
With 4000 + tags available as leftover maybe you coukd get a second tag in a different area but they probably won’t knowingly allow that

I can tell you for certain that this year the individual quotas for each outfitter have not even been figured out yet, they are not even available to sell yet. You can't buy second deer or elk tags until Aug 1, even though I doubt any tags will remain at that time, any returned tags after Aug 1 could be purchased as a second tag the way I understand it.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #380 on: March 10, 2021, 06:52:09 AM »
Looks like Idaho just sold out of non rez deer tags.

Anyone that was putting it off is out of luck until outfitter/ returned tags go up for sale.

And I now have one guy in our group that just got designated packer duties.  :bash: :chuckle:

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2021, 08:18:35 AM »

Anyone that was putting it off is out of luck until outfitter/ returned tags go up for sale.

And I now have one guy in our group that just got designated packer duties.  :bash: :chuckle:

He could probably still get a whitetail tag... or certain elk tags

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »

Online sales have deer tags locked out.
He called sales this morning and was told all deer sold out over the weekend.
He just got a call back and was told some had been released so he got a whitetail tag for our unit. Who knows what's going on...but he's no longer just camp cookie :chuckle:

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2021, 08:44:08 AM »
So once in a while they will have tags that they will put back in the pot??
This is kind of a cluster

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2021, 09:00:14 AM »

Online sales have deer tags locked out.
He called sales this morning and was told all deer sold out over the weekend.
He just got a call back and was told some had been released so he got a whitetail tag for our unit. Who knows what's going on...but he's no longer just camp cookie :chuckle:

Yep still a handful of WT tags and a couple elk tags left.. but fairly slim pickins

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #385 on: March 10, 2021, 10:24:51 AM »
So once in a while they will have tags that they will put back in the pot??
This is kind of a cluster
not at all. People return tags so they reissue them. Not sure how they are doing it this year but previous years they would release returned tags every Thursday morning.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #386 on: March 10, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
Here's where they've really messed things up...

They have 2,901 non resident elk tags left in their quota, however all of their elk tag zones by type, except 3 are sold out.  Of the 3 areas with remaining elk tags, there are only a total of 80 tags remaining.  This means that while they have 2,821 remaining in their state wide non resident elk quota, there are no units that can accept that quota due to unit-specific caps.  In past years the outfitter allocation has been a possible 2400 elk tags, leaving 421 unavailable to either outfitters and non residents.  Either way, in most years they don't sell out the outfitter tags and put them on the market for non-residents to buy after a certain date.

I have no idea how they're going to handle that with these zones already sold out.

Maybe their goal is to simply sell those to residents at non-resident prices, which becomes available after I think August 1 every year for residents if non-residents don't buy them all as second elk tags.  If so, that is just a real tease... they should just make a different category of tag.  What a pain in the butt though.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2021, 11:40:48 AM »
I just wrote a letter to IDFG, just cause this makes no sense.

Unit by Unit quotas add up to 11,724, which if we look at their website, all but 80 are claimed.  Meaning that 11,644 have already been allocated.  Their top line figure says they have 2,901 tags available out of 12,815 possible tags, indicating that only 9,914 tags have actually been claimed, a discrepancy of 1,730 tags. 

Not only is it unclear how the extra tags will be made available, but is also unclear how they have 2,901 remaining if 11,644/12,815 are already claimed.

Oof, someone needs an accountant.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »

Unit by Unit quotas add up to 11,724, which if we look at their website, all but 80 are claimed.  Meaning that 11,644 have already been allocated.  Their top line figure says they have 2,901 tags available out of 12,815 possible tags, indicating that only 9,914 tags have actually been claimed, a discrepancy of 1,730 tags. 

Not only is it unclear how the extra tags will be made available, but is also unclear how they have 2,901 remaining if 11,644/12,815 are already claimed.

Great another out of stater just changed his address and will show Idaho a thing or two about how to run things in this state!!  :chuckle: :chuckle: Just kidding I'm about 99.9% sure it all adds up but I didn't even look at it. Probably missing something in the total like outfitter allocation, or other tags not listed.  if not I agree its a major screw up   

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »

Great another out of stater just changed his address and will show Idaho a thing or two about how to run things in this state!!  :chuckle: :chuckle: Just kidding I'm about 99.9% sure it all adds up but I didn't even look at it. Probably missing something in the total like outfitter allocation, or other tags not listed.  if not I agree its a major screw up   

I'm ALL about government accountability.  Heck, this doesn't even apply to me anymore!

Still this whole 10-5+2 =11 thing just doesn't quite work in my small brain.

My personal opinion is they've been intentionally vague about it and intend to sell remaining out of state permits as second tags to residents.  We'll see.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]