collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What 26 caliber bullet  (Read 6707 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
What 26 caliber bullet
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
I just picked up a 6.5 PRC and will be reloading for it. Looking for first hand hunting experience with a hunting bullet in this caliber. I'm a big Partition fan but might raise the BC to the ELDX or Accubond long range

Thanks in advance
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
Re: What 26 caliber bullet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
Check out the Hornady ELD-M 147 gr.
elkaholic

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
6.5 Berger Elite Hunter 140 grain.  :tup: .606 BC.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:13:24 AM »
The ELD-X is an underperformer in my experience.....steer clear!!  I have shot 2 moose and 2 bear with a 300 win mag and 212 grain ELD-X's and I will not be using them on game ever again.  They shoot / group great but the are not effective killers. 

Can't speak to the accubond long range but can speak highly of the accubond.  I stretch my creedmoor to 800 yards shooting the accubond and it stupid accurate.  I would not hesitate to whack deer sized game to 600 yards.  If you like the partitions you will love the accubond (standard) as they are devastating on game and perform very well.  I have killed two bear (literally dropped dead in their tracks) and multiple deer with this rifle.  It preforms as expected.  At the range, it is a very accurate bullet and will shoot half MOA or better if I do my part.  I am shooting them out of a Savage Stealth. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
 :yeah: AFTER 2 DEER AND 1 BEAR THE BULLET COMING APART EVERYTIME,I WILL NEVER HUNT WITH THESE ELDX BULLETS AGAIN.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm surprised to hear that about the ELDX. I know gel isnt a great test on hunting performance but sure thought the ELDX looked better the Accubond LR. I know the LR isnt as tough as the standard Accubond

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
The bear was 215 yards,1 deer was at 800 yards and the other was at 475 yards.All came apart and a piece about the size of a dime very thin was all that was left on all 3
"Boss of the woods"

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm surprised to hear that about the ELDX. I know gel isnt a great test on hunting performance but sure thought the ELDX looked better the Accubond LR. I know the LR isnt as tough as the standard Accubond

I've had zero issues with the Accubond LR.  Performed well on every animal I've used it on.   

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
A lot of guys seem to be very happy with the Berger 156's in their 6.5 PRC, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 WSM's.

https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/berger-6-5-156-gr-terminal-performance-thread.6597/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:49:31 AM by b23 »

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
The bear was 215 yards,1 deer was at 800 yards and the other was at 475 yards.All came apart and a piece about the size of a dime very thin was all that was left on all 3

Even at 800 yards WOW

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »

I've had zero issues with the Accubond LR.  Performed well on every animal I've used it on.
kselkhunter
What velocities you pushing them? and in 26 cal?

Offline Buckjunkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 11:52:04 AM »
I echo much of what has been said here. I have had two bad experiences with the VLDs and one bad experience with the ELDX. All were shot with the 300RUM. 210 VLD small deer 200 yards broadside. Deer walked away as if I missed. Bullet was in hide on off side. After just walking for 150 yards he laid down and died. 2nd example 185 VLD 325 yards on a big bull. He took a step as I shot and blocked the bullet from a heart shot. 4 shots later the bull finally tipped over. The first shot didn’t even bruise the other side of his front leg. 3rd example 650 yards with the 220 ELDX. Well placed lung shot. Deer bucked. Small blood spot on off side. Four of us looked for that buck for hours in the Wyoming high country. It’s not brushy there. One spec of blood. Saw the buck two days later and he looked fine.

Talked to a buddy that shoots lots of animals and he said the ELDX are crap. They either explode on the on side or don’t expand and it’s like shooting an arrow with a field tip.

I also have a few experiences with the Accubond LR. They do better than the other long range bullets, but I prefer the performance of the partitions, standard accubonds and Barnes LRX bullets.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
I ordered Berger 140gr Elite hunters and 156gr EOL. Haven't even bought my 6.5 PRC. Hoping that whatever I get likes one of those bullets at 3000fps or better. It's only for deer and bear so the 140 will be plenty but I'll go with whatever works the best.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »
Wow surprised all the negative reviews on the eldx, have hit many animals at high and low velocity and have performed flawlessly(elk, bear, muleys).  Full pass through, with good expansion never needed a second round.  Very similar to an accubond if not better.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
Wow surprised all the negative reviews on the eldx, have hit many animals at high and low velocity and have performed flawlessly(elk, bear, muleys).  Full pass through, with good expansion never needed a second round.  Very similar to an accubond if not better.

This is what is very interesting about this bullet.  Some have great performance and others have piss poor performance.  I hit a bear in the shoulder broadside with a 212 ELD-X this year and it blew up on the onside shoulder.  Bear is still roaming the hills.  All I had to show for it was a fist full of fur and a meek blood trail for 100 yards.  I watched impact and thought, there is no way this bear is still standing.....well it walked off like I never shot it. 

Bull moose last year...first shot was a complete pass through at 300 yards, worked great.  Next shot was a neck shot to make sure it didn't go into the thick brush.....bullet exploded and we only found fragments.  Super inconsistent.  Fist bull moose a couple years, two shots in the boiler maker.....non exited.  It was a 40 yard shot and all we found were fragments....total disintegration.  The head shot at 40 yards was pretty impressive though.    :chuckle:     

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »
Just my experience the eldx works, only running 3100 fps but at 23 yards bullet stayed intact nicely and as well at 600 yards on a cow elk.  Others obviously have had problems with it.  I like bergers which are designed to dump all energy inside the body.  Can't go wrong with the accubond but haven't liked the grouping with the ablr in three rifles.  In a couple 6.5-06ai (similar velocity to 6.5 prc) that I run we use berger 140s to answer the question at hand, the vitals are jello.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »
Could be velocity related, it would be interesting to see what fps at the animal resulted in good or bad results.

It also could be placement, bone vs muscle.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
Congratulations on the new rifle.  I don't have a dog in this fight.  I just admire the PRC chamberings and want to tag along.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 04:48:14 PM »
Congratulations on the new rifle.  I don't have a dog in this fight.  I just admire the PRC chamberings and want to tag along.

Thanks. XBOLT Hells Canyon Speed. Hope it shoots as well as my 300 WM

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »
I REALLY want a 300 PRC, to fill that hole in my heart where a "magnum" chambered rifle would be.  Living vicariously is the best I can do at the moment.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 05:23:51 PM »
Could be velocity related, it would be interesting to see what fps at the animal resulted in good or bad results.

most likely is speed related but that what their biggest selling point was on the eldx.any velocity up too  :dunno: at any range.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »

most likely is speed related but that what their biggest selling point was on the eldx.any velocity up too  :dunno: at any range.

It is more than likely a bone or density issue.  300 yard shot on a moose with only hitting one offside rib and it was a clean pass through.  The neck shot on the same moose fragmented in the neck of the moose. 

The bear I did not recover was a high shoulder shot at 500 yards.  I watched impact and it hit right where it needed.  I don't think the bullet made it through the bone, I think it grenaded causing onside hair to blow off it and bled very little for about 100 yards before it went dry.  I watched the bear walk off without a limp (after the initial bolt and run for 15 yards). 

The moose at 40 yards may be speed related.  They did hit onside rib.  That bullet is pushing 2880 fps out of my 300 win mag and didn't loose much velocity in the 40 yards.  Still well within the speeds if should perform in my opinion. 

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
6.5 Berger Elite Hunter 140 grain.  :tup: .606 BC.
:yeah: I have never had an animal walk away after being hit with a Berger from my 6.5x284 .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 06:10:09 PM »

It is more than likely a bone or density issue.  300 yard shot on a moose with only hitting one offside rib and it was a clean pass through.  The neck shot on the same moose fragmented in the neck of the moose. 

The bear I did not recover was a high shoulder shot at 500 yards.  I watched impact and it hit right where it needed.  I don't think the bullet made it through the bone, I think it grenaded causing onside hair to blow off it and bled very little for about 100 yards before it went dry.  I watched the bear walk off without a limp (after the initial bolt and run for 15 yards). 

The moose at 40 yards may be speed related.  They did hit onside rib.  That bullet is pushing 2880 fps out of my 300 win mag and didn't loose much velocity in the 40 yards.  Still well within the speeds if should perform in my opinion.
Not arguing as it really does not msatter to mre but a bullet should not have a clean pass through at 300 yards on a moose after hitting 1 rib.........just saying.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »

Not arguing as it really does not msatter to mre but a bullet should not have a clean pass through at 300 yards on a moose after hitting 1 rib.........just saying.

All I can do is report my experience......the rest is up to the person making he decision to short or not shoot that bullet.  I used the same rifle on a 175 lb bear a couple years prior.   200 yard shot steep up hill.  Hit low on one let and came out the to of the offside shoulder.  Clean pass through.  It took another shot to the back of the dome to kill that bear.  These bullets are not that impressive. 

The guys that like the hornady's generally like the ELD-M and say they perform better on game than the ELD-X's.  Lots of reviews out there. 

I'm sticking to the accubonds.  I am gonna try some Hammers this year in my 300 wsm just for craps and giggles.  They get great reviews for a solid copper bullet. 

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
I'm using the 156 EOL in my 264 Winchester with a 26" 1:8 twist Benchmark.  Running at 3000 FPS using H1000.  Easy to tune to sub half MOA in my gun.  Two shots fired in the field this fall and two tags filled.  First shot was into a bedded pronghorn buck at 340ish.  Slipped one into his upper shoulder / neck transition zone.  massive thwack.  rolled over dead.  negligible meat loss in part due to precise bullet placement.  Shot two fired offhand at a mulie buck standing broadside at 90 yards.  Center punched him with complete pass through.  Dropped at impact, gained his feet for a couple of stutter steps then dropped dead.  Very pleased thus far.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, SCI
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »
I shoot the 127LRX in my 6.5PRC at 3200fps and it works great, very accurate and very deadly.

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 08:41:50 AM »
I'm starting out with 140 gr Sierra Game kings. They are an awesome 1 shot bullet in my 338 win mags (2) guns and 250 gr . They seem to print well for what little I've shot them in my 6.5, 1/2 in at 100yds.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:47 AM »
I’ve had amazing experience with the 143 eldX out of my 6.5 PRC. I’ve taken 5 deer with it so far and all have been one shot skills. From 50 yards to 450.

Offline highside74

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »
The rifle I just sold shot 6.5 creedmoor 143gr eldx @2750fps and .05 moa and killed 2 bucks. One at 25 yards dead in a few hops. This years at 250 1st shot dropped him after a hop or 2 with a sold hit report but he was still moving a bit so I shot him again just to make sure he wouldn't make it out of the cut. After recovering him he didn't need the second shot.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
I want to thank everyone for the responses. Miles sure vary from person to person. I just believe with a 26 cal vs the 30 cal I use , the bullet choice is even more important.

I was only able to find 2 bullets so I loaded some up for beak in and ladder tests. 140 gr Partition and 142 gr Accubond LR. I'll see how they shoot but will also add an all copper to the mix. Im starting all off with RL26 because its what I use in my 300 and Ive heard good reports in the PRC

Thanks again and keep the input coming

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
I'm using 140g Accubond out of my PRC. I wanted reliable expansion at all my hunting ranges. I shot a whitetail doe a few years ago with the eldx out of my creedmoor and while it did the job I found just the jacket. The core exploded and separated. They do kill but I wasnt impressed with expansion and bond. I switch to the 142 ABLR for my creedmoor and have had the performance I e been wanting.
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »
I just picked up a 6.5 PRC and will be reloading for it. Looking for first hand hunting experience with a hunting bullet in this caliber. I'm a big Partition fan but might raise the BC to the ELDX or Accubond long range

Thanks in advance

Partitions have never failed me, not even once. “If it ain’t broke...” :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
I'm still a big fan of the various Hammer Bullets. I'd look at the 124 Hammer Hunter and see how it shoots.

I've only had one bullet out of the 18 different styles I"ve used from Hammer that I couldn't get to shoot under .5 MOA in 20 shots or less. That particular bullet was at the very edge of stability and I knew it was going to be kind of iffy though.

Offline Jolten

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »
Lrx seems to do well in my 26 nosler
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
The 140 grain AB shoots very well out of my 26

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 08:11:02 AM »
The 140 grain AB shoots very well out of my 26

Thanks again for all the input, suggestions

I would love to try some 140gr Accubonds but I cant find any :bash:

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
My 6.5-300wby likes the swift sciroccos 130gr. Took two deer with them this year and it performed perfect :twocents:.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2020, 08:42:36 AM »
I found some 140gr Accubonds  :tup:

I have the barrel broken in and some 140 gr. Partitions and some 142gr. Accubond LR loaded up with some RL26. Going to shoot for groups then load the Accubonds up when they get here and shoot those.

Hopefully I'll get one of those dialed :IBCOOL:

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
I settled on RL-25 behind the 127LRX in my 6.5PRC, smoked a cow elk in Idaho in early October.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
I settled on RL-25 behind the 127LRX in my 6.5PRC, smoked a cow elk in Idaho in early October.

What velocity were you pushing those?

Offline gadwall

• Scout
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »
140 grain Accubond in the 260 works very well on deer for me
Duck Buster
Mule Deer Hunter
Turkey Camp Cook
Time in the outdoors is a privilege to be shared with our families and friends

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 05:22:44 AM »
Would love to try some accubonds, had 100 bought, then they emailed me and said they didnt have any  :bash:

Offline Caseknife

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2020, 07:11:58 AM »

Right at 3200fps.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »

Right at 3200fps.

Those are smokiing  :tup:

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
Just found some 140 Accubonds again. Hopefully it goes through this time