collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rescue-Who ya gonna call  (Read 2190 times)

Offline anthropisces

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Rescue-Who ya gonna call
« on: November 23, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
One fellow here at work told me that some friend of his had his boat nearly swamp in skagit bay recently when the weather suddenly came up. That friend who was duck hunting said that when he saw the trouble, he instantly gunned the throttle and the quick thinking kept the boat from completely swamping.

I recently was almost stranded due to tides. I learned a hard lesson and I'm much less likely (I think) to end up in the same situation but one can't prepare for every eventuality at sea. In my home state of Florida in 35 years of boating I was towed twice, I towed other boats on a few occasions, I've met boats mid-way to the bahamas being towed and I've seen plenty of other action.

In Florida, Sea-Tow is readily available. In Skagit and the counties north and south of it, I don't think that something like that would be of much use to duck hunters.

Obviously something like getting stranded by a tide should be addressed with being prepared for that eventuality, with gear sufficient to carry you through to the next tide.

But what about situations that aren't so easily answered? This washington marine estuary environment has a danger-potential that is sobering. What if your boat does swamp, or your engine quits or there's other stuff going on out there? Assuming you have an ability to communicate (such as a cell phone), who is available to respond? Are there any paid services that could be relied on?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Rescue-Who ya gonna call
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
The problem with tide is if your boat is stuck there isn't anyone that could come help even if they wanted to short of a helicopter or hovercraft.  You nailed it, be prepared to stay warm through the next tide and check the tides to make sure a decent one is coming.

There are SAR teams with boats and hovercraft, but they shouldn't be called unless life is on the line.

Several guys around here would likely help as well depending on the time and location.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »
Conway RFD operates a marine rescue detachment named after a duck hunter who was killed in Skagit Bay (George Larsen). They have hovercrafts, you can see them deployed for the Mount Vernon I5 bridge collapse.

Again, not a call you make when there are other options.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 02:51:31 PM »
 I’ve pulled a couple boats off the sand around Chinook after they got stuck in the shallows. Also pulled one off just up river from the Astoria Bridge. Another 10 minutes and they would have been waiting for the tide change.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
for the stuck at low tide issue. My nieces husband put a winch on his boat so he can pull himself short distances to a channel if needed with anchor. Don't know how far you could go but would work for short pulls probably. Not something you probably want to be doing often, but sounds like it might get you out of a pickle once.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
Here is my suggestion. JOIN Washington Waterfowl Assocations NW chapter! They meet 2nd Wed of each month at the Twin cities Sportsmen club NE of the Hagen in Stanwood.  I have 2 peoples numbers on my phone that are members, avid hunters and know the area well. Its a good organization and doo some shooting at the Sportsmens club after the meeting.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 08:07:34 AM »
Hey Special T
I'm already a member. I'm the new very tall guy who asks a lot of questions at the meetings. I had to miss the last meeting but I expect to be at the next

Offline anthropisces

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »
I thought about a winch Born2late. The reason I was able to get off that tidal flat though is because my boat is relatively very light. Anything I put on it adds weight. Its got sponsons welded on the back so although its a v-hull (1984 Gregor), it doesn't draft very much, including at the transom. When I was nearly stuck I removed my shoes, socks and pants (in case I needed the dry clothes to spend the night) and then jumped in the water and started running the boat back toward the channel. At one point I drove the hull aground and I thought "well that's it" but after considering things I put all my strength into it and was able to shove that boat over that high spot (which was about 30ft long). The thing floats and that was the deciding factor on that occasion.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »
Hunting the flats is no joke.  I don't think I'd ever hunt without a partner in there.  Ideally with two boats. 

I think you hit the nail on the head though:  Bring the essentials for a full day/overnight possible when you are out there.  It happens quick.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal