collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swakane  (Read 23784 times)

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Swakane
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
Elliot is dead.  :yike:

Lol. Congrats man, heck of a season.

:chuckle: :chuckle:  Kids love Open Season even though it doesn't exactly paint the best light on hunters.  Congrats anyway, he will be good eating!
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
Lots of hunters, lots of fog, miserable roads, been chained up every day and not lots of deer.

After passing deer after deer on my incentive permit I dumped this busted up buck this morning.

I’m out of deer tags now.
Congratulations Rick!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
Lots of hunters, lots of fog, miserable roads, been chained up every day and not lots of deer.

After passing deer after deer on my incentive permit I dumped this busted up buck this morning.

Congrats.  Are you going to get "the hat" with that one. ?
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
WTG! Congrats on all the success this season!  :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 11:53:04 AM »

Congrats.  Are you going to get "the hat" with that one. ?
I might but I’m guessing no. The bar has been set. I usually set it and since 2011 I’ve won the hat twice and came in second 4 times.

I hope my kid wins it. I got her to 80 yards from a nice 4c4 that was breeding a doe. No shot. They spooked and ran. Good times. First day of decent weather
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
Nicely done! Seems like you've got the deer hunting thing figured out a bit

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
Roads are finally decent but still tricky in places. I still have chains on. Still lots of hunters and not many deer. Definitely a down year for mature deer here this year.

Brutal year on vehicles. One burned up transmission, couple broken chains, broken brake line from chains coming off, bad power brake booster on another truck, bad cv joint on one truck, lots of scratches, broken fender flare and one crease in a door. Costly year for sure.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
Also someone rolled a newer truck off the road going up Burch my road last week?
By the lone tree

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 08:12:23 PM »
Got home last night after being there since opened. Saw three legal bucks whole time! We took one of them. Lots of 2 points! Must have taken everything legal in rifle General season for locals. The mountain bucks aren’t there! Other than fog, couldn’t ask for better conditions.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Swakane
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »
Spent the day there yesterday. Found a pretty big buck right off the bat that had a large gaping wound in its left rear quarter. By the number of guys in the area he was in, I’m assuming we weren’t the only ones who knew about him.  We watched him bed and then my buddy started to make a stalk on him. 30 minutes in we realized there was another guy already pretty well invested in a stalk of his own, so we backed out. The deer ended up spooking. We came back through there maybe 3-4 hours later to find 5 different guys in the draw he was in in the morning. Not sure if he was back again or if they were expecting him back. Tons of people. Made me realize why I never got into bowhunting the Swakane. I bet there are places where there aren’t crap tons of people so I guess you just have to find those places.  Tough to see but big frame, 3 on his right side and 4 on his left along with a fresh wound on that left rear quarter. Hoping it wasn’t a hunter that shot him in the ass. Tough to say for sure.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 02:16:40 PM »
Yep sad
I have been hunting archery up there for 20 years. Some people up there shouldn’t be bow hunting. Good for you on backing out. Way to many people see you making a stalk and they will jump in front of you. I used to love the hunt. Not so much now cause of the other hunters.

Online Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2020, 02:21:49 PM »
Spent the day there yesterday. Found a pretty big buck right off the bat that had a large gaping wound in its left rear quarter. By the number of guys in the area he was in, I’m assuming we weren’t the only ones who knew about him.  We watched him bed and then my buddy started to make a stalk on him. 30 minutes in we realized there was another guy already pretty well invested in a stalk of his own, so we backed out. The deer ended up spooking. We came back through there maybe 3-4 hours later to find 5 different guys in the draw he was in in the morning. Not sure if he was back again or if they were expecting him back. Tons of people. Made me realize why I never got into bowhunting the Swakane. I bet there are places where there aren’t crap tons of people so I guess you just have to find those places.  Tough to see but big frame, 3 on his right side and 4 on his left along with a fresh wound on that left rear quarter. Hoping it wasn’t a hunter that shot him in the ass. Tough to say for sure.

Battle wound? Maybe. Mechanical broadhead flung from a buck-thirty? Entirely possible.  :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 02:31:01 PM »
Yep sad
I have been hunting archery up there for 20 years. Some people up there shouldn’t be bow hunting. Good for you on backing out. Way to many people see you making a stalk and they will jump in front of you. I used to love the hunt. Not so much now cause of the other hunters.

Wanted to give someone the best odds of killing him, whether it was us or them. He needed to be put down and they were clearly there first. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Game dept screwed Swakane up when they opened it up for Does a few years ago. Its been on a slow decline for Mature bucks for years and now more hunters every year
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Yep
No more does tags in this state

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal