collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 578 West Klickitat late muzzleloader deer permit  (Read 1577 times)

Offline CJ1962

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
578 West Klickitat late muzzleloader deer permit
« on: November 24, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »
I have this tag and haven't asked for any help prior because I know the NW corner of the unit well and was planning to concentrate on that area.  I knew there was a risk of snow keeping me out of the higher elevations but I felt confident I could have a good hunt and access the areas that I wanted to hunt even if the snow started flying.  Well that was all before I went in last weekend to do a little scouting and saw how many people were out playing (cross country skiing / snowmobilers).  I also ran into another hunter that was scouting for elk for the late muzzleloader elk season.  I had forgotten about that and asked him how many people were in the unit last year.  He said A Lot!  Almost to the point that he was thinking of not hunting it again this year.  The potential impact of people out playing and the Elk hunters got me thinking that I better develop a plan b in case the area I want to hunt is overrun.   So I did a search on the forum and boy was I surprised to find out there are no deer in this unit :).  One post did mention its a big unit and if you hunt deer in the areas with no Elk than you wont likely see any elk hunters.  Studying ONX I assume that is the areas closer to the Columbia and Klickitat rivers or the Southern or Eastern boundary.  I'm not familiar with that part of the unit, so if anyone wants to provide any helpful info that would be great.  I'll be hunting solo, but not afraid to hike in behind gates or into steep country.

TIA

ps Since I have no shame if you want to PM me with your honey holes that would be greatly appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:24:17 AM by CJ1962 »

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
Re: 579 West Klickitat late muzzleloader deer permit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »
Go south of Glenwood along Fisher Hill Road. That winds all the way back to Highway 14. There's tons of gated roads with clear cuts and reproduction all thru out. A guy can wander for days behind them gates. Nothing but boot leather and you should find less elk hunters. That's all I will offer.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline CJ1962

• Scout
Re: 578 West Klickitat late muzzleloader deer permit
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Go south of Glenwood along Fisher Hill Road. That winds all the way back to Highway 14. There's tons of gated roads with clear cuts and reproduction all thru out. A guy can wander for days behind them gates. Nothing but boot leather and you should find less elk hunters. That's all I will offer.

Elksnout

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:25:49 AM by CJ1962 »

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
Re: 579 West Klickitat late muzzleloader deer permit
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 05:38:14 AM »
See any elk?

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the NW corner of the unit and have honestly not seen much for deer in there, or sign, late in the year. I have seen them in there more like late October. I’m sure they are around, just wouldn’t be my first deer spot. Probably 15 years ago during the days when your tag was OTC I saw the biggest Benchleg buck I’ve seen in real life or a photo over there. But he was on the move.

I’ll let you know if I see anything for deer and get you an elk hunter pressure report.

Offline CJ1962

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
See any elk?

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the NW corner of the unit and have honestly not seen much for deer in there, or sign, late in the year. I have seen them in there more like late October. I’m sure they are around, just wouldn’t be my first deer spot. Probably 15 years ago during the days when your tag was OTC I saw the biggest Benchleg buck I’ve seen in real life or a photo over there. But he was on the move.

I’ll let you know if I see anything for deer and get you an elk hunter pressure report.

Thanks.  I did not see any elk in the 578 when I was down last weekend.  But I did see Elk heading that way.

Offline AROTTY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
Deer in that unit should be moving into lower elevations now. You received good advice earlier.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]