collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Meat  (Read 9887 times)

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: Bear Meat
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »
I found a recipe online for huckleberry bourbon bbq bear. It was flipping amazing doing little medallions. And I overcooked the crud out of it, 180 degrees, and it was still tender. Cooked it in the cast iron to sear it than tossed it in the oven to finish.

https://www.leupold.com/leupold-core/stories/field-to-table-bourbon-blueberry-bear-roast
book marked that page that looks awesome.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »
I like smaller bears early in the season that have been feeding on a berry diet.  I do straight burger grind and steaks.  My kids love it.

Older bears and those that have been feeding on dead animals is not so good.  I had a big 7 foot black bear a number of years ago that was very tough to get through.  Metallic taste.

I've been using my su vide to cook the bear steaks at 145 for 2-3 hours and then pan sear.  It's the only way to safely eat medium rare bear steaks.  Hank Shaw writes about it, and I haven't had trich yet.

I would agree younger bears are better. Personally every mature bear 300#+ I have Eaten has been very tough. But your results might very on taste. My 420# 7.5’ 20.5” skull boar I got this fall I believe is the best tasting bear I have eaten. Which is good news for the 46 pints of fat I rendered.

7 bears in our house the last 3 years and all fantastic eating. It’s my preference for anything sausage related. But it’s good cooked any way. I consider it similar to beef.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »
Single pass through the rough grinder and we have sausage gravy for the whole winter. Steaks and kabobs are good but sausage is so versatile.

Shot a very large boar in ponderosa/sage country a few Augusts ago and it was the only nasty Eastside bear I've ever shot. It was edible but just barely. I think he'd been digging roots and mice a lot. Meat care wasn't the issue on that one.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
Dang, I sure am getting hungry reading this thread.  :EAT:
 :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline logola512c

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
I like smaller bears early in the season that have been feeding on a berry diet.  I do straight burger grind and steaks.  My kids love it.

Older bears and those that have been feeding on dead animals is not so good.  I had a big 7 foot black bear a number of years ago that was very tough to get through.  Metallic taste.

I've been using my su vide to cook the bear steaks at 145 for 2-3 hours and then pan sear.  It's the only way to safely eat medium rare bear steaks.  Hank Shaw writes about it, and I haven't had trich yet.

I would agree younger bears are better. Personally every mature bear 300#+ I have Eaten has been very tough. But your results might very on taste. My 420# 7.5’ 20.5” skull boar I got this fall I believe is the best tasting bear I have eaten. Which is good news for the 46 pints of fat I rendered.

7 bears in our house the last 3 years and all fantastic eating. It’s my preference for anything sausage related. But it’s good cooked any way. I consider it similar to beef.

4 bears in my freezer the last 3 years, and same thing.  All tasted good.  Since you basically have to cook the crap out of it to get rid of any trich, we just use it as a replacement for beef in meatballs, meat loaf, beef curries, and beef stew, along with italian sausage and a tasty maple-bacon breakfast sausage.  Probably gone through about 150 pounds of ground/chunk bear in the last 3 years, with another 60 or 70 pounds still in the freezer.  Also rendered the fat this year and got about 3 or 4 quarts from each bear.  Zucchini/carrot/pumpkin muffins taste mighty good with the rendered bear fat as I stir my iced beverage with one of my special swizzle sticks.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »
Bear is some of the finest slow braised roast meat I've ever prepared.  It also makes for very nice pastrami.   
I like bear most all ways, but where it really shines is in slow moist heat cooking, either whole (roasts) cubed (stews) or ground (spaghetti sauces, taco meat, chili).  The texture is just uniquely good when slow cooked, tenderizes but doesn't fall apart.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
i didn't see it mentioned but i really like to corn bear...
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal