collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rifle Choice SE Alaska Brown Bear  (Read 9919 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Rifle Choice SE Alaska Brown Bear
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:22 PM »
Need thoughts on rifle choice for SE Alaska Brown Bear hunt. I am going to apply for the family tag in area 4 (all three islands between Sitka and Juneau) and am looking at getting a bigger rifle. All three of us (me, brother, nephew) all have .300 Win Mags, but thinking of stepping up to .375 H and H as a primary. I do not want to take any kind of long shot and want to be able to put one down with authority. I tried in 2014-2015 but did not draw and life got busy, so want to try again.

Other calibers I am looking at .45-70, .450 Alaskan, .338 Win Mag, .348 Win

Those that have done this please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Bob
IAFF #3728

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Rifle Choice SE Alaska Brown Bear
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:29:52 PM »
Havent done it myself, but by "not taking long shots" what do you mean?  Your mentioning .45-70 makes me think 100 or less.  If thats the case i dont see a .300wm being underpowered  :dunno:  but once again, never hunted brownies.  But id feel comfortable going on a close range brown bear hunt with my .444 and .460  :dunno:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
I've thought a lot about this myself. 

I'm not looking for an excess of recoil, so I've arrived on a 338WM, 35 whelen or 9.3x62 for 250-ish and under.  I don't think you want to really limit yourself to 100 yards.  The odds are you will be spot-and-stalking these guys from the boat, and when you get to shore and make your stalk there can be a lot of flat beach between the last bit of cover and your bear.

I get to shoot a grizz every four years up here in SE, and might do it next year.  There's a LOT of them around here.  If you decide to hunt Baranof/Chichigof, let me know.  :tup:

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »
Just throwing some calibers out to start a conversation, and would not want to take a shot any further than about 150 yards or so, 200 would be about max for me on a Brown Bear, want to make sure I am making a good ethical shot on an animal that can take a lot of lead and keep moving.
IAFF #3728

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »
Roger that.  I like the mid-weights for this work, but there are a lot of 375H&H up to .458WM rigs in this town.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »

I'm not looking for an excess of recoil, so I've arrived on a 338WM, 35 whelen or 9.3x62 for 250-ish and under.  I don't think you want to really limit yourself to 100 yards.  The odds are you will be spot-and-stalking these guys from the boat, and when you get to shore and make your stalk there can be a lot of flat beach between the last bit of cover and your bear.

I get to shoot a grizz every four years up here in SE, and might do it next year.  There's a LOT of them around here.  If you decide to hunt Baranof/Chichigof, let me know.  :tup:

:yeah:

Those two and Admiralty are the islands the tag covers and yes would definitely let you know. I just don't want to take a poke at distance and make a bad shot. Have heard it a couple times when I have been up there about guys that hit a bear and could not recover and now everyone that goes to that drainage for a while has to watch out for a mad wounded bear!
IAFF #3728

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
I was shooting the *censored* with a native up the yukon river a few years back.  He showed me a pic of a nastie brownie he killed with a 7mm.  I said, you mean 7 mm mag?  He said no, just a 7mm.  Assuming he meant 7mm-08  :dunno:  of course, these are the same dudes that think nothing of routinely killing caribou with .223

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
I was shooting the *censored* with a native up the yukon river a few years back.  He showed me a pic of a nastie brownie he killed with a 7mm.  I said, you mean 7 mm mag?  He said no, just a 7mm.  Assuming he meant 7mm-08  :dunno:

I'll bet it was an old 7x57 milsurp with a split stock and consistent 10" groups at 50 yards  :chuckle:
Dead's dead, tho.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 09:54:16 PM »
Roger that.  I like the mid-weights for this work, but there are a lot of 375H&H up to .458WM rigs in this town.

Yes indeed, about 20 years ago there was a dead Whale that washed up around Nismeni and had a ton of Bears on it someone took a poke and wounded one and nobody would hunt the area for a while. If I am going to shoot at one it will be far enough away, but close enough to make a clean shot.
IAFF #3728

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »

:yeah:

Those two and Admiralty are the islands the tag covers and yes would definitely let you know. I just don't want to take a poke at distance and make a bad shot. Have heard it a couple times when I have been up there about guys that hit a bear and could not recover and now everyone that goes to that drainage for a while has to watch out for a mad wounded bear!

Ya, you don't want to be that guy.  These things have a bad enough attitude as it is, especially in slow pink salmon years.

If they get too far off the beach in this jungle, you aren't going to get more than a 10 yard follow-up.  Most likely a lot less. 
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
Make it sporty....25-06.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 09:56:54 PM »

Yes indeed, about 20 years ago there was a dead Whale that washed up around Nismeni and had a ton of Bears on it someone took a poke and wounded one and nobody would hunt the area for a while. If I am going to shoot at one it will be far enough away, but close enough to make a clean shot.

There was a dead humpback on the beach just outside of town here a few years ago.  4-5 bears on it all summer, they were the nastiest, greasiest looking things ever.  Just wallowing in that rotten blubber.   :puke:

Could smell it from a mile away.  Literally.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »
Make it sporty....25-06.

Just use a recurve and knapped flint heads while you're at it.  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »
Nasty.

Honestly,  i think the 45 70 would be great in a lever gun. Big A heavy slug that will break bone and travel end to end in  bear.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
Make it sporty....25-06.

Know guys that use AR .223 with a 30 round mag, one or two for the Sitka Blacktails, and if a Bear bothers them the other 28 for him hahaha
IAFF #3728

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg