collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer processing in Western WA  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Re: Deer processing in Western WA
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2020, 08:03:32 PM »
I was always overwhelmed to do my own. About 3 years ago I decided to finally learn how to do it myself. I got a vacuum sealer and a meat grinder and off to the races. I now just love processing all my own! I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read a few articles and all good now. What i like most is I can take all the time and care with it and make sure it’s all top notch quality before if gets vacuum sealed and frozen. It’s really quite rewarding! I like in the Seattle Metro area, if anyone ever needs a hand just Pm me and let’s get it done. I can even bring over my grinder. 

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2020, 08:09:12 PM »
If I can get a late season deer I thibk ill process it, but I'm going to get the gear to do it myself for next time. Thanks all.
If you get a late season deer, PM me and I will butcher it with you. You will be amazed at how simple and fun it is once you do one. I have a 1hp grinder, stuffer, and mixer and can cut and wrap a deer in pretty short time if you’re interested. Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
I’ll be a broken record and agree with the folks who are suggesting to give it a go on your own. I learned via the internet. It’s far more forgiving than it seems. Cut the meat off the bone and if you screw up, just toss it in the grind pile.

I use the same fillet knife I use for fish and sharpen it once or twice mid deer. No need for anything fancy.

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 08:57:56 PM »
Self butchering is the way to go.. That is for sure.. On the butcher note..my family and friends have taken 3 deer to golden steer in the last 2 years and have been pretty impressed.. Your getting what they cut up, and how they want.. But the impression they gave on making sure each deer was separated for each customer and seeing about 5 elk and 5 moose hanging kinda sold us even though it is Bellevue.. But they have been around forever..

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:34 PM »
Pre china virus a friend would luckily shoot deer in random small towns around idaho/walla area just exploring and would go to local bars to find someone to help butcher it ( for a nominal free) .. And he always said that was the best way to learn.. Never took another deer to the butcher again..

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
Lots of great advice and I agree it's way better to do it yourself, even though all your steaks might not look perfect. It doesn't matter.

What I'll add is that if you're without a grinder, what you can do is debone it and cut all the steaks you want. Or whatever else (roasts, stew meat, etc.)

The remainder, that you want for ground meat, throw it in the freezer in zip lock bags, or a garbage bag, or however you want to do it. Wait until maybe January and then take it in to your nearest meat processor and have them grind it. Some will grind it while you wait, just be sure to call first. You can then take it home and wrap it yourself. Or if you don't mind paying just have them wrap it also.

But this way you can be pretty sure you're getting your meat back and not someone else's. And you know it's clean because you did that part yourself.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 03:24:36 PM »
That’s great advise bobcat! I did that exact thing my first year before I purchased a grinder.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal