collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer processing in Western WA  (Read 5042 times)

Offline stlusn30-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
Re: Deer processing in Western WA
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
Fischer Meats in Issaquah: https://www.fischermeatsnw.com/
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
John Tuss, TNT Meats on Camano Island does a good job and will do as much or as little of the work you want. I have only ever brought him processed meat to be made into sausage though. He does some great smoked sausages which are beyond my capabilities at home. 

As others have said, butchering is a fun rewarding experience. Even if I get the deer solo I can't keep my dad away when it comes to cutting it up.
Really hardly anything more to it than taking it apart the way it was put together and trimming it up.

Youtube will help you learn what to call everything when you are done if you don't already know.

Over the years I have taken deer/elk to many processors in Snohomish county.  John Tuss has been the best, by far.  He is not the cheapest, but he is the best. BUT, the animal had better be clean......no hair, no dirt, etc.  I have seen him turn hunters away if their animal was not up to his cleanliness standards.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline The Marquis

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
I invested less than the cost to have a butcher process a single deer on my own equipment, which has more than paid off.  I've got the works, dehydrator, grinder, sausage stuffer, etc.  Spices aren't too expensive. Probably the biggest recurring expense is sausage casings, and that's still not too much.  It's worth learning for SURE. 

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 11:40:54 AM »
never heard of John where is he at
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
Don't tell!  :chuckle:

John is the best......worst kept secret!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
OMG that is too funny!!! :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
I invested less than the cost to have a butcher process a single deer on my own equipment, which has more than paid off.  I've got the works, dehydrator, grinder, sausage stuffer, etc.  Spices aren't too expensive. Probably the biggest recurring expense is sausage casings, and that's still not too much.  It's worth learning for SURE.

I learned from my uncle about 25 years ago on how to do it myself.  Best thing I've ever learned, and it's actually pretty simple.  Best part is knowing its all your meat and its cut and packaged the way you want it. 

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
I would never take meat to those two mentioned.  I'm confident that it is an absolute that you get God knows who's meat back. 100% not just your animal.

Really,  it's not hard with YouTube and a knife.  Go for it yourself,  you will ve glad you did.

This is my biggest concern taking something to a meat processor, not getting back the exact meat I brought in... I don't wanna pay to get a portion of gut shot deer someone else brought in!!
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline Gearhead1940

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
Do it yourself. It can be intimidating but it's actually not that bad. I processed my own deer this year and used the Meat Eater book to walk me through it. It took some time but I was still done even before I could have gotten my deer into a local butcher. I also have the satisfaction of doing the job and learning a new skill and saved some $$$ in the process. Looking forward to doing another one next year (fingers crossed).

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2020, 01:24:33 PM »
If I can get a late season deer I thibk ill process it, but I'm going to get the gear to do it myself for next time. Thanks all.

I'm telling you now, this is the best decision you have made all week.  Processing your own meat is as pure as it gets.  You can and will get by with simple "tools" and you will have YOUR KILL in the freezer.  From here on out though, that is where it gets tough, well not really tough, but you can spend some money.  Over the past few years I pretty much have a full butcher shop now and it started out for one reason, not happy with the quality from the butcher.  Now a days, it is nothing to process a deer or elk, lots of fun and lots of enjoyment knowing we will not be the first ones to go when the "crap" hits the fan.  For a first piece of gear I would recommend a "quality grinder', yes one you will spend about $300 on.  Don't go cheap here and you will have years of quality use from the grinder.  Rule number one when learning to process an animal:  "what if we mess up cutting that steak or roast?"..... throw it in the grind pile, NO WASTE!!!  Seriously though, you will have fun learning this trade and confidence grows each year.  For us in the off year also, I haven't bought ground meat of any kind in ten years, and i could talk for days about the quality of my ground products compared to what you buy in the store, again, just more practice, because even wrapping takes practice. 

Welcome to the club "butcher".  Watch those You Tube videos and make sure to come back and tell us all about it, and it didn't happen if no pics...!!

Offline UpperleftPNW

• Tracker
  • Groups: None
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
I was on the fence whether I should do it myself when I got my deer (First deer) this year. I am really happy I ended up doing it myself. I figure the worst that would happen is I have way more trimmings then steaks which isn't the end of the world to me. I did end up with a bunch of steaks I just labelled "Petite steak" and "Rump roast" in the freezer because i didn't do a very good job of separating everything out once de-boned and it all got mixed up and I had no idea what was what at the end. Again, really not a big deal for me.

I spent many hours at the range, many day in the woods, many miles hiked etc to get my first deer. Now if I pay someone some cash to process it they don't really care about any of that. They make their money by processing as efficiently as possible, that's just a fact of business.

I appreciated being the only person to handle the meat from taking the shot all the way to the freezer.

I also didn't have any special tools or equipment, put out a sturdy folding table, covered the floor of the garage and the table with some plastic painters drop cloth, pulled out 2 large cutting boards from the kitchen, and went to town. Wrapped everything in clear plastic wrap and then again in white butcher paper. All the trimming got packaged up and I am expecting a meat grinder for Christmas so sausage and snack sticks will be a project for this winter.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
Over the years of trying to be fancy with cuts this is where I've ended up at based on most often eaten and enjoyed.

80 percent goes in the grinder. We eat ground meat 10-1 over other stuff. (burgers, tacos etc)
One or two small roasts maybe.
Backstraps get butterflied for small steaks and thin cut for jerky. Mostly jerky as I often grab a small bag for lunch.
Summer sausage is my go to over pepperoni sticks.
Used to do allot of pepperoni but always grabbed the summer sausage from the freezer so now I make accordingly.
Summer sausage favorites include roasted red pepper/Mozella cheese, and jalapeno/sharp cheddar.

You don't have to study or learn all kinds of different cuts to be successful at processing your own deer. Find out what you like and run with it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »
Get a 5 or 6" boning knife for $20, a roll of freezer paper, a roll of plastic wrap, a roll of freezer tape and a sharpie.  That is literally all you need to get started.  A grinder helps for sure, I started with the Kitchenaid attachment, if you don't have one of those there is a good chance someone on here would loan you a grinder.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Get a 5 or 6" boning knife for $20, a roll of freezer paper, a roll of plastic wrap, a roll of freezer tape and a sharpie.  That is literally all you need to get started.  A grinder helps for sure, I started with the Kitchenaid attachment, if you don't have one of those there is a good chance someone on here would loan you a grinder.

Yup  :tup:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline builtfordtough

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 06:44:00 PM »
FISHCER MEATS, in Issaquah. Do not and I repeat do not use them.  I hadn't been to a butcher in over 18 yrs. Last yr killed my big bull. long story short had zero help and weather was warm so I was in a bind.  Never ever will I go to a butcher again. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]