collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hanson Fish Co Winter Group Buy 2020  (Read 36432 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Hanson Fish Co Winter Group Buy 2020
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »
Welcome to the Hanson Fish Co Black Friday Group Buy!!

(Actually, we're just launching on Black Friday this year, delivery window will be between Dec 14 and Dec 22.  I just couldn’t resist the hype, though…)

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving, and I want to start out with a very sincere “THANK YOU HUNTWA” for your previous support.  I am hoping to continue to earn your business this year and in the future, and will work my tail off to do so.   There are a few changes in this year’s group buy – read on!

Big Change #1 – I am migrating the group buy to an online ordering system.  Link in giant blue below. That will make all of our orders more accurate (ahem, that’s on me), and you will be able to lock in your order instantaneously.  I’ve loaded all available inventory into that system, so if you can order it, it’s yours.  You will also be able to select your drop off location in the system as well, and I will have a list of each buyer I’m supposed to meet at each stop, with what products.  We tested this out over the summer (huge, ultra-mega shout-out to @ctwiggs1 for all of his coaching and effort he put into that) so it would be a smooth operation for us here at HuntWa. 

Big Change #2 – I’m now taking credit cards (Sorry, no AMEX).  You can pay when you order – or if you prefer, you can still pay me cash or check at the pickup.  That saves me a few bucks and helps me keep the pricing low, but I wanted to get the credit card option going to help everybody have a great Christmas.

Big Change #3 – We are pretty limited on products this year, mainly due to Covid.  No tuna, rockfish or lingcod portions.  Plenty of halibut, black cod, scallops, prawns and FAS fish though.  I am light on coho this year, can’t blame that one on Covid.  The run was extremely poor, and I focused more on Kings than Coho during the very short time they were pushing through.  That’s on me. 

Medium Change #4 – I am delivering into Wenatchee, over Highway 2 and up 395 to Addy!  While I appreciate my Northeast Mules that have made it happen in the past, I’ve increased my range this year.   That’s because of Medium Change #5…

Medium Change #5 – I am renting a freezer trailer to tow behind me this year. I will be bringing some extra products wherever I go as well.  I have had to change a few locations of drop-off points to accommodate my new length, however.  That means no more Buzz In, Marysville!

Small Change #6 – Covid protocols. I know, I know.  But I have to do it.  Since some of the counties are in Phase 2, and some are in Phase 3, I need to operate this drop off as a Phase 2 operation everywhere I go.   So I’m compelled to suggest the following:

*mask wearing at the pickup
*keeping a distance of 6 feet apart
* Minimizing our time at each drop off point
*No more than 5 people  (that’s me and 4 hunt-wa’ers), gathered around the truck at a time.

If we have a tailgate party forming, you just know some Karen will be calling the Swat Team on us.  So if I have a big drop off point somewhere, I’ll be planning on spending some extra time there so we can spread out the traffic.

I will be adding product to this as it becomes available.  I am still tracking down some king and coho portions and filets, and as soon as the cold storage locates them I’ll get them up.

Basic drop off areas are listed below.  You can find the exact sites when you place your order on the website.  If you don’t want to order through the site, send me a PM with your order and a cell number I can text back to (very important).  We’ll get you fish one way or another, but not ordering through the site risks your PM order being bounced by an online order.  So if possible, best to order through the site.

Drop off points-

North Sound-

BELLINGHAM - Fred Meyer  Dec 16, 8 AM

BURLINGTON - McDonald's Parking lot  Dec 16, 9 AM

Central Sound-

MARYSVILLE - Albertsons @ Town Center Shopping Complex Dec 16, 11AM to 1PM

MONROE - Fred Meyer Dec 16, 2 PM

BOTHELL - Country Inn & Suites DEC 16, 3 PM

ISSAQUAH - Home Depot  Dec 20, 10 AM

South Sound-

SOUTH SEATTLE - South Center  Dec 20, 9 AM

FIFE - Foothills Family Furniture  Dec 20, 8 AM

ENUMCLAW - Mason Jar Farm Dec 19, 10 AM-1 PM

OLYMPIA - Olympia Square Shopping Center  Dec 17, 2 PM

Kitsap Peninsula

POULSBO - Walmart Supercenter  Dec 17 10:30 AM

BREMERTON - Winco Foods Dec 17, 11:30 AM

SHELTON - Fred Meyer parking lot Dec 17, 1:00 PM

SouthWest Wa

CENTRALIA - Chevron Centralia  Dec 17, 3:00 PM

VANCOUVER  - Bi-Mart Falk Road Dec 21, 7:00 PM

Eastern Wa

WENATCHEE - ARBY'S Ded 20, 1 PM

PASCO - HAPO Center  Dec 21, 1:30 PM

ADDY - Judy's Java  Dec 20, 6:00 PM

SPOKANE NORTH - Safeway Francis / Monroe  Dec 20, 7:30 PM

SPOKANE VALLEY - Albertson's Highway 27 / 32nd Ave  Dec 21, 8 AM

WALLA WALLA - NAPA Auto Parts Parking Lot  Dec 21, NOON

GOLDENDALE - Chevron  Dec 21, 4:30 PM

This is not a definitive list of drop-off points, and I will probably cull a few.  However, if you see that I might be driving right by you on my route and it’s a long way to the closest stop, let me know asap and we might be able to add a quick stop in for you.

And… drum roll…  Here’s the webstore!  Enjoy shopping, and know I appreciate every bit of support you all have shown me over the years.  I do hope to keep earning that business with great products and service at a great price.

I’ve listed everything I have up for sale right now below and will make changes on the HuntWa site as we go.  Keep up the posting and keep up the chatter on this site though, it helps keep it on the "recent threads" sidebar and keeps the community connection strong.  The more volume we do, the better I can do on pricing for everybody going forward.  And I might be able to afford some of that boat work I've already committed to  :chuckle:

www.hansonfishco.com

Golden King Crab Clusters

For the second year, I’m getting Golden King crab from the FV Handler, a big ol' Bering Sea crab boat.  Captain Josh came through for us again!

The Golden (brown) Kings are caught in the Aleutian chain and a bit north into the Bering Sea.  They are smaller than Red Kings, but roughly half the price per pound and they are super tasty.  These are "clusters" that include legs, claws and the very meaty body section.  The clusters are pre-cooked and brine frozen, so all you need to do is thaw and reheat.  These are all a 700+ gram sort, so at least 1.5# each cluster.  Big ones will go 2-ish #'s.  They're all pretty close in size.  Pic of that below.  Warning - they are spiny!  I cut the shells with scissors before I reheat them now to save on the bloodletting at the table.

Golden King Crab Clusters, per #= $27.50/#
Golden King Crab Clusters, 28# case = $25/#

Alaskan Weathervane Scallops, 20-30 count

A huge hit last year.  If you've had Weathervane Scallops before, you know what the big deal is.  You can certainly buy cheaper scallops, but those are usually “wet” farmed or East Coast scallops that are soaked in a sodium tripolyphosphate solution to increase the water retention.   All my scallops are “dry” scallops, no phosphates added here.  These Weathervane scallops are again a very limited availability product this year, but because of our successful sale last year I was able to secure a few more pounds.  Still best to get your order in early if you want some.  Available in 1.25# bags, with four individually wrapped 1.25# packages in each box of 5#. 

Alaska Weathervane Scallops, 20-30 count, 1.25# bag = $27
Alaska Weathervane Scallops, 20-30 count, 5# box = $100

Alaskan Spot Prawn Tails, IQF

Individually Quick Frozen Spot Prawn Tails, the perennial favorite.  Spot Prawns are known for their sweet flavor and rich texture. My Spot Prawns are caught in small pots that we bait and check every day.  These pots have virtually no negative effect on the bottom structure and prevent any significant bycatch.
This year’s sort was just slightly smaller than last year’s, more like the first year I sold them.  Right around a 25 count vs. last year’s 21 count.  Probably not really noticeable, but just want you all to know what you’re buying.  I am likely going to be looking for fresh grounds next year with bigger prawns.  But until then – these tasty shrimp need a home!

These will be sold in either the 4# bag or 50# case.

4# bag = $60, 2 bags for $110
50# case = $650

Black Cod / Sablefish

A product I bought off of my friend’s boats that I had processed at a small processor in Pelican, AK.  They are a very rich, white fleshed fish.  Sablefish have the highest Omega-3 content of any Wild Alaskan fish and are very flavorful.  These are extremely deep water fish, hook-and-line or pot caught out of anywhere from 1200 to 5000'+ feet deep.  Often referred to as “butterfish,” sablefish are an extremely easy fish to cook to perfection.

These portions are skin-on, 5-7 oz portions per vacpac portion, in a 10# case.  I want everybody to give these things a try if you can.  I may break open some boxes to sell by the pound if enough people want try it but don’t want a whole 10# box.  Let me know!

Sablefish vacpac 5-7oz portions in 10# box = $170

Halibut

A product off of my friend’s boats that I had processed at a small processor in Pelican, AK.  Wild Gulf of Alaska hook-and- line caught halibut, no further explanation needed! No skin and no bones for easy meal prep.
These portions are skin-off, 7-9 oz portions per vacpac portion, in a 10# case.

Halibut vacpac portions, skin-off, 7-9oz = $190 for a 10# box

Ocean Troll King Salmon

The rare, rich, and delicious Wild Alaskan Ocean Troll king salmon is a very special fish.  Largest of all salmon, chock full of Omega-3’s, and brought to you by the Diamond Lil from the frigid waters of the Gulf of Alaska.  These fish have been at sea for several years packing on that delicious and nutritious oil and fat.  Enticed onto my boat with a hook and line, Ocean Troll King Salmon are at the absolute peak of their nutritional value and flavor.  They are more expensive than other salmon, yes.  But they are worth it – there is nothing like an Ocean Troll King Salmon meal being shared with family and friends as part of a special occasion.

Ocean Troll King FAS, whole fish carcass
These are the pinnacle of my personal offerings.  I love my kings, catching these guys is the reason I got into this business!  It shows in every step of process I go through to produce these babies.  If you don’t have a plan for Christmas dinner yet, perhaps start a new tradition with a Christmas King from the Diamond Lil!  :thumbsup: My FAS carcasses range from about 8# to 20#.  I have a few giants, too, if you really want to go big.  Let me know what size of carcass you’re after and I’ll do my best to get it on the truck for you.

Ocean Troll King FAS, whole fish carcass = $16/#

Ocean Troll Coho

The old troller’s standby.  Normally I have plenty of coho, but it was the second worst coho year for trollers since 1988, and I spent most of my August focused on kings - so coho is in extremely limited supply this year. 

Ocean Troll Coho FAS, whole fish carcass = $8/#

Ocean Troll Chum Salmon, FAS carcass

Really nice ocean chum salmon, Frozen At Sea.  Headed and gutted, fish carcass sizes range from 3.5# to just under 10#.  Treated exactly the same as my kings and coho - pressure bled, frozen immediately and glazed.  I catch a few of these every year while king and coho fishing, and have a small amount I haven't yet sold.  Chum have gotten a bad rap over the years, but these dime-bright ocean fish will impress.  I'm offering these up here because I think there's probably a group of folks that want to put a big smoker load project together, or maybe some folks that just want to try them on the grill.  I've pickled them with great results as well.  Available by the 50# net case.

The FAS Chum 50# case = $250  $225  $150
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:58:42 AM by Skillet »
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Hanson Fish Co Winter Group Buy 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Linda and I will be expecting a visit.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
Order placed!  Thanks Chris :tup:

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
Buy with confidence

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:09:19 PM »
Thanks Taco!  You make that stuff look good  :drool:

Linda and I will be expecting a visit.  :tup:

Look forward to it every year.  Should probably put your patio on the list as a delivery point.  :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 02:38:41 PM »
Does it make sense to wait until the salmon is loaded to make one order, or should we make an order now on the things showing on the site and then place a second order when things get loaded?
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 03:00:27 PM »
Does it make sense to wait until the salmon is loaded to make one order, or should we make an order now on the things showing on the site and then place a second order when things get loaded?
Good question.
I would place an order now but don't pay for it (just select pay at pickup), and lock down what you want.  Then add to the order later.  Things moving pretty fast.  I would hate to have someone miss out on scallops or hali because they waited for my logistics chain to catch up with me.  :bash: 

99% sure I can take a card on my phone at the delivery if we need to go that route. Haven't tested that yet but will.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 03:21:16 PM »
Can you give me an idea how many shrimp/lb and also are they cooked already or just IQF ?
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
Can you give me an idea how many shrimp/lb and also are they cooked already or just IQF ?

Just IQF - I rip the heads off and freeze those tails right away.  :tup:

They are just a little smaller than last year - I'm guessing a 25 count this year vs last year's 21-22 count.  Lot more males this year.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »

Just IQF - I rip the heads off and freeze those tails right away.  :tup:

They are just a little smaller than last year - I'm guessing a 25 count this year vs last year's 21-22 count.  Lot more males this year.

Thanks for the quick reply, so about 100 tails for $60 is what I figure !
Just curious how you tell the males from the females ?

Order is in ! Thank you Chris !
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:44:00 PM by robodad »

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
That's a good observation - I need to hire an intern just to make him count tails per bag  :chuckle:

Fishing in the fall the females are mostly all "berried up" with eggs. 

Also, little known fact - Spot Prawns are hermaphrodites.  They are born with both eggs and sperm.  The first two years of life they are male, and use up the sperm.  Then they start using up the eggs at year 3, and mostly die off by age 5. 

Pretty interesting stuff.  They don't really "change" so much as they just run out of juice from one tank and start taking from the other.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 03:57:48 PM »
That's a good observation - I need to hire an intern just to make him count tails per bag  :chuckle:

Fishing in the fall the females are mostly all "berried up" with eggs. 

Also, little known fact - Spot Prawns are hermaphrodites.  They are born with both eggs and sperm.  The first two years of life they are male, and use up the sperm.  Then they start using up the eggs at year 3, and mostly die off by age 5. 

Pretty interesting stuff.  They don't really "change" so much as they just run out of juice from one tank and start taking from the other.

Interesting, I knew they were hermaphrodites but wasn't sure how they were determined one or the other !! They all seem to taste the same !  :chuckle:

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
I don't see the scallops by the box on your site - am I missing something?
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »
What is the easiest way to knock the hulls off them.  Wife says that they are great but they are a challenge to get shucked. 😏

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 05:58:44 PM »
What is the easiest way to knock the hulls off them.  Wife says that they are great but they are a challenge to get shucked. 😏

Either cook them through or do a quick 10 second dunk in boiling water if you are doing a recipe that doesn't call for cooked shrimp.  After you do a few hundred, you get the hang of it, hard to explain but probably easy to figure out.  For me, it's a two pull process, I grab the meaty end and pull half the shell off and then you pinch the tail and do some shrimp jitsu twist move to get the other half off.  Again, hard to explain in text but easier to show and practice.

Raw spot shrimp are a bit of a challenge and you end up with more than one poke in your hands.  It's doable, but I have found the quick dunk makes the process much easier and doesn't impact the end result.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]