collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 200 yard Muzzleloader shot...  (Read 10710 times)

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: 200 yard Muzzleloader shot...
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 08:04:55 AM »
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Every year theres elk running around with arrows sticking out of their rears from guys that thought they could shoot out to 100 yds. If you have confidence and ability its a different story. But then some don't feel guilty about a wounded animal either.

There are plenty of rifle guys that sling lead and wound game too.   :rolleyes:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Every year theres elk running around with arrows sticking out of their rears from guys that thought they could shoot out to 100 yds. If you have confidence and ability its a different story. But then some don't feel guilty about a wounded animal either.

Every year there’s elk running around with arrows sticking out of there rear end from guys who thought they could shoot 20 yards. And with rifle slugs in them from guys that thought they could shoot 100 yards. My muzzy elk this year had a rifle slug and broadhead in it. People miss.

Offline muleyslayer

• Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
I shot this buck at 269 with my 45 caliber peep sighted muzzy. The only reason I consider the shot was, because the buck was standing broadside on the skyline of a ridge so he was very easy to see clearly through the peep., I had a solid prone rest, there was no way I was going to get closer because he had spotted me already,and of course I practiced with the gun a lot that season. I know guys that muzzy hunt and never practice and wound or miss at 75. It all comes down to practice and knowing your limits.

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
I shot this buck at 269 with my 45 caliber peep sighted muzzy. The only reason I consider the shot was, because the buck was standing broadside on the skyline of a ridge so he was very easy to see clearly through the peep., I had a solid prone rest, there was no way I was going to get closer because he had spotted me already,and of course I practiced with the gun a lot that season. I know guys that muzzy hunt and never practice and wound or miss at 75. It all comes down to practice and knowing your limits.

Nice! It's really familiarity and practice with your equipment that makes the difference. You just offered the perfect example. Too many people are running around with the latest and greatest as if it will compensate for their lack of practice. Nice buck by the way.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »
wow, what rifle?

Offline muleyslayer

• Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »

Nice! It's really familiarity and practice with your equipment that makes the difference. You just offered the perfect example. Too many people are running around with the latest and greatest as if it will compensate for their lack of practice. Nice buck by the way.
Thanks

Offline muleyslayer

• Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:57 PM »
wow, what rifle?
45. Knight mountaineer
Precision conical “dead center” sabot
Black horn 209

* Advertisement