collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: CVA Accura V2 vs CVA Accura V2 LR  (Read 2859 times)

Offline BigTines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
CVA Accura V2 vs CVA Accura V2 LR
« on: November 29, 2020, 06:05:39 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with these 2 guns? Debating between which one to purchase. Pros/cons of both? Thanks!

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
Re: CVA Accura V2 vs CVA Accura V2 LR
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »
There are several different variants of each one, so it depends. The CVA V2 LR rifles all have longer barrels than the regular Accura V2 (27" vs 30"). So, you'll have a longer sight radius and probably a little bit more velocity depending on the exact load you use.
The Accura V2 LR is available in .45 and .50 caliber variants. The .45 caliber model is especially interesting because it has a faster 1:22" rifling twist rate (compared to 1:28"). That's the same rifling twist rate as the CVA Paramount and you can use the new Powerbelt ELR bullets in the .45 caliber Accura V2 LR.
With all that in mind, I'd say the .50 caliber V2 LR offers a modest improvement in performance over the regular Accura V2. However, it's a much bigger difference when you're talking about the .45 caliber V2 LR since it can use those new, really aerodynamic bullets.

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »
I shoot the V2 MR. A little less barrel to pack around the woods and for a gun you have to use open sights with in this State , that matters to me. I installed a rear peep sight and a Lyman globe front with interchangeable apertures. Your average long shot with a non-scoped muzzleloader is 100 yds or less. I've shot 2 deer with mine in the last 2 years. The longer barrel was not necessary. I shoot a 300 gr Deep Curl over 120 weighed gr of Blackhorn 209 powder in a Harvester black crushrib sabot fired off with a CCI 209M primer.

Offline BigTines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
Interesting. Does the longer barrel really improve velocity? I’ll be hunting elk mostly so I’m kind of leaning against the .45 cal. If all it improves is just accuracy maybe the 27” barrel will be adequate. I’m not sure how accurate I can really be with open sights anyways.

Offline callturner

• Longhunter
    • n/a
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
That's why I went with the peep sights. The fiber optics they come with are good to about 50 yards or so then they start to cover up the animal. The peeps allow you to adjust your range more once you learn which aperture fits you best. I don't think the velocity's difference would matter that much. I don't know much about the ELR bullets but other powerbelts suck. I guess Barnes makes a good muzzleloader bullet as well as Thor. Again I don't know that much about them also. I do know the Speer Deep curl flat works and have pic's to prove it. I believe there's a Hornady bullet that works quite well too.

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
Interesting. Does the longer barrel really improve velocity? I’ll be hunting elk mostly so I’m kind of leaning against the .45 cal. If all it improves is just accuracy maybe the 27” barrel will be adequate. I’m not sure how accurate I can really be with open sights anyways.
If you'll be hunting elk, then definitely go with the .50 cal version and use either the Barnes or Thor bullet. Both are excellent. I think the PowerBelt is awesome on deer, but I would not recommend using them on elk.
It sounds like you don't really need the longer barrel either. 
You should absolutely get a peep sight for whatever muzzleloader you end up getting. I've used peep sights by Williams and E Arthur Brown and they're both great and are GIANT improvements over the open sights that come with most muzzleloaders.

Offline callturner

• Longhunter
    • n/a
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 07:09:24 PM »
90 yard shot killed with Speer Deep curl pushed by 120 gr(84 weighed) BH 209 and a cci209M. 1 shot! DRT.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]